Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you don’t mind telling...how did everyone buy thier RS? I test drove a 2017 new model that has sat on the dealer lot for well over a year. In fact, cars.com says that there are 215 new 2016-2017 RS s out there. I asked What deals are they offering, they said none. I asked about the finance rate, they said like 5.94%. I have good credit, over 750. Meanwhile...Subaru is offering 1.9% for the same term of 72 months on2018 WRX STI. So, assuming the price is the same, it’s about 120 bucks MORE per month to get the RS...assuming I finance 35,000 for both cars (down payment and trade in for 5k).

Ford built a good car, that beats the competition, but no one is buying them. There are 6 new WRX and WRX STI on cars.com for 2016-2017.

Come on ford, offer a finance deal, and the dealers help the buyers to get these cars!!!

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
I think a lot of people were scared away initially by the absurd dealer markups (some dealers wanted like $50k when they first arrived), and later the headgasket issue (despite the fact that ford adressed it).

It is ironic though, considering that they balked at a car with questionable reliability (RS), but readily accept a car with an ancient motor that has a propensity for spitting its guts up before 100k miles (STi) and outsells it. What can ya do.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
5 figure down payment, 1.9% though my credit union. Unless an auto mfr. is offering 0%, f them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Historically speaking, Mother Ford rarely makes SVT/FP vehicles eligible for deep factory discounts/special low financing rates (it's always in the fine print at the bottom of their tv commercials; ie - excludes GT350, Raptor, Focus RS, etc). They can do this because the product usually sells itself (most of the time).

Maybe try your local credit union for a better finance rate...?

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
0 Down, 1.9% for 60 months....... or 2.9% for 84 months.

Shop around for financing first. the dealerhips here in San Diego works with several credit unions except NavyFed.

Ironically I got mine finance from a different credit union than NFCU, who financed my Evo IX in the lifetime ago.

I opted for the 60 months since im planning to pay it off in 3 yrs. Longest i paid was 40 months, but always get some term that you can afford to miss a payment here in there, especially during the holidays.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Rather get a loan at or less than inflation than drop all of my money at once. Figure I can buy something for 40k with 2016 dollars, cheap ass interest rate, and still make 6% or more ROI on the huge chunk of cash the outright purchase would be.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I financed most of it at 2.65% for 72 from my credit union. I negotiated like a cash buyer, which allowed me to get a really good deal. Considering my investment account is averaging about 13% returns over the last 2+ years, I'll keep my cash there.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I financed most of it at 2.65% for 72 from my credit union. I negotiated like a cash buyer, which allowed me to get a really good deal. Considering my investment account is averaging about 13% returns over the last 2+ years, I'll keep my cash there.
Exactly my point. I'll take the 2.7% hit and keep on trucking. What's your general investment portfolio? I'm moving my Ira back to Vanguard.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Sold my 13 ST for 12K to carmax, Credit Union gave me 1.9%, so used the sale of the ST+more for 15k w/ rest through credit union

No Markup RS2 Forged w/ Winter Set + TripleCare

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
with the low APR I got, it would be more beneficial to invest the cash to something else than pay the car at one time.

If I have the cash that is..........

·
Registered
39 Posts
Exactly my point. I'll take the 2.7% hit and keep on trucking. What's your general investment portfolio? I'm moving my Ira back to Vanguard.
Most of mine is through Vanguard, but I have others (Fidelity, DFA, American Funds, etc.). Basically it's set up with 20% large cap, 20% mid cap, 20% small cap, 15% int, 5% bonds, and 20% in a couple target date allocations. I have multiple different funds in most of those categories.

I've rebalanced about once per year, and changed funds twice in the last three years. I'd really have to start analyzing to see where most of my performance is coming from.

But, enough digression from the thread. The point is, with interest rates low (if you look for it) and the market as hot as it is, there's no reason not to borrow for a purchase like a car. I made sure I put enough down to have equity in it, otherwise I'll pay the minimums until it doesn't make sense to.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
I diversify my finance...

From baseball cards, action figures, games consoles and shoes.... :saturn:

Just kidding. I am not that stage in life. I have to be smart with my retirement.... at least some of my income is going to it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts