Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm new here. I have a 2018 RS, have had almost a year. Unfortunately was serviced for an engine issue recently at a dealership, and I dont want to show my tinfoilhat yet, It's just a fear . But I think the LSD was swapped out either on purpose or by mistake. There was another non 2018 RS being serviced in the next lift when I checked. Both cars had their guts out (trans+engine) I got a new shortblock and clutch . I dont want to get into specifics about why but there was a flaw and mine was a 2017 build. I had an opportunity to drive it in the snow and summer, summer tires and winter tires before I dropped it off for service and after.

I could swear that before it was dropped off; ESC off. normal,sport, or track it would pull in a straight line with light snow, and light acceleration. Like a traffic intersection. Now that Ive gotten it back on occasion I will feel , under the same conditions what I can only describe as a steering wheel yank, open diff, one wheel peel-under acceleration and sometimes on a dead stop+plus accelleration. In snow slush, it's really weird but it bothers me.

Is there anyway I can check if there really is an LSD without opening it?

Like jacking the front and spinning the wheels in neutral to see if they spin in the same direction, would the PTU interfere ?
Could I put it in FWD mode and launch it? Check for the one wheel peel?

Another observation I remember the car would feel super squierrely on high speed interstate pulls in the summer.
I talked to a guy at a grocery who had a 2016 and now owns a 2018 and he said that was the LSD's most obvious difference.
I no longer feel that squirrelyness at all on a straight pull.

Thank you, And not Im not a troll this is real I just wanna figure out a way I can figure it out without opening the trans.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
With the car in gear, jack up one front wheel. Turn it for about 2-3 full rotations and it should lock up the quaife diff as it sends the rotation to the other wheel. If it never locks up after ~10 rotations, then you have an open diff for sure.

Reactions: Focus112

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the car in gear, jack up one front wheel. Turn it for about 2-3 full rotations and it should lock up the quaife diff as it sends the rotation to the other wheel. If it never locks up after ~10 rotations, then you have an open diff for sure.
Ok Im going to go to my friends where I have my jack right now and try it. Thanks! stupid question though . when the car is off and in gear because of the PTU, no power should be sent to the rear right? which would be on the ground with the E brake

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Hello everyone I'm new here. I have a 2018 RS, have had almost a year. Unfortunately was serviced for an engine issue recently at a dealership, and I dont want to show my tinfoilhat yet, It's just a fear . But I think the LSD was swapped out either on purpose or by mistake. There was another non 2018 RS being serviced in the next lift when I checked. Both cars had their guts out (trans+engine) I got a new shortblock and clutch . I dont want to get into specifics about why but there was a flaw and mine was a 2017 build. I had an opportunity to drive it in the snow and summer, summer tires and winter tires before I dropped it off for service and after.

I could swear that before it was dropped off; ESC off. normal,sport, or track it would pull in a straight line with light snow, and light acceleration. Like a traffic intersection. Now that Ive gotten it back on occasion I will feel , under the same conditions what I can only describe as a steering wheel yank, open diff, one wheel peel-under acceleration and sometimes on a dead stop+plus accelleration. In snow slush, it's really weird but it bothers me.

Is there anyway I can check if there really is an LSD without opening it?

Like jacking the front and spinning the wheels in neutral to see if they spin in the same direction, would the PTU interfere ?
Could I put it in FWD mode and launch it? Check for the one wheel peel?

Another observation I remember the car would feel super squierrely on high speed interstate pulls in the summer.
I talked to a guy at a grocery who had a 2016 and now owns a 2018 and he said that was the LSD's most obvious difference.
I no longer feel that squirrelyness at all on a straight pull.

Thank you, And not Im not a troll this is real I just wanna figure out a way I can figure it out without opening the trans.
They are all squirrely on highway pulls, it is well documented. Plus an lsd certainly wouldn't reduce or eliminate torque steer, just Look at MK1 RS reviews. While it is certainly possible, it is unlikely. Look at the advice above and that will tell you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did it with both wheels in the air , in gear , multiple turns and always the other wheel spun the opposite way. Would a torque sensitive hellical respond like this. I read the hellicals in Honda and Acura’s si’s and type r’s responded the same .

I did it with just the left front or just the right front up and in gear . And neither wheel in the air would move when the opposite was on the ground. (3 on the ground) . If it was open diff one of them should have spun?

I also put it in dyno FWD mode , the clutch and brake 6 times in out reverse thing. lol I know I’m not smart. And once in mode I launched it via launch control and only noticed a slight steering wheel pull to the right . Idk ?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I did it with both wheels in the air , in gear , multiple turns and always the other wheel spun the opposite way. Would a torque sensitive hellical respond like this. I read the hellicals in Honda and Acura’s si’s and type r’s responded the same .

I did it with just the left front or just the right front up and in gear . And neither wheel in the air would move when the opposite was on the ground. (3 on the ground) . If it was open diff one of them should have spun?

I also put it in dyno FWD mode , the clutch and brake 6 times in out reverse thing. lol I know I’m not smart. And once in mode I launched it via launch control and only noticed a slight steering wheel pull to the right . Idk ?
I know that my front wheel will spin when the opposite is on the ground.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I guess you just confirmed I have an LSD cuz either one in air they did not spin in air

·
Registered
460 Posts
I did it with both wheels in the air, in gear, multiple turns and always the other wheel spun the opposite way. Would a torque sensitive hellical respond like this. I read the hellicals in Honda and Acura’s si’s and type r’s responded the same.
I've never tested my FoRS, but this was how my CRX with a Quaife responded every time. Sounds like you are in possession of what you should be.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
If you start seeing some weird stuff, maybe some funky colors, maybe some weird sounds...general hallucinations, it may be LSD.

:bigsmile:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Pull out of a steep driveway at an angle. That always causes my non-lsd 17 to spin the inner tire a bit before it finally gets traction. That's about the only time I've noticed it missing.

·
Registered
287 Posts
It sounds more like you need to get a new alignment after the front end was taken apart. my '16 would pull a little left or right on the highway until i got it realigned. anyway the engine AND transmission have tags on them. check them, i think they call out the model year on the tags

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sounds more like you need to get a new alignment after the front end was taken apart. my '16 would pull a little left or right on the highway until i got it realigned. anyway the engine AND transmission have tags on them. check them, i think they call out the model year on the tags
I emailed Quaife in Kent England they got back to me as soon as they opened over there, which I appreciated a bunch. Confirmed what Forzda and all of your comments basically said , yeah it's still LSD. They only test they mentioned Initial Functional Checks for the ATB Differential.jpg I didnt try was all 4 wheels in the air rowing thru gears. Thanks all! Appreciate all the help, my tin foil hat is a tin foil ball in the garbage now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts