Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The MKII RS ecu has RSA encryption. The other Foci from that period did not. If Ford does this again we are going to have tuning issues. Like the other RS we will have to send the ecu to be physically remapped like VW. We will have to actually get one and be able to pull strategies to tell.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The MKII RS ecu has RSA encryption. The other Foci from that period did not. If Ford does this again we are going to have tuning issues. Like the other RS we will have to send the ecu to be physically remapped like VW. We will have to actually get one and be able to pull strategies to tell.
Weren't there images of a Cobb tuner with a FoRS option on it already?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Does this make you better than me because you know more about cars than I do? Why didn't you just answer my question instead of being rude? I'm sick of people on here insulting other people for asking questions, we're all getting the same damn car, show some respect.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Does this make you better than me because you know more about cars than I do? How about you just answer my question instead of being rude.
any modification that leads to a failure will most likely be a deinied claim by the factory when you try to get it fixed under warrenty.

·
Registered
471 Posts
any modification that leads to a failure will most likely be a deinied claim by the factory when you try to get it fixed under warrenty.
I know there are some modifications that would not void the warranty, wasn't sure if this was one of them.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Does this make you better than me because you know more about cars than I do? Why didn't you just answer my question instead of being rude? I'm sick of people on here insulting other people for asking questions, we're all getting the same damn car, show some respect.
Sorry I thought you were being facetious. Tuning/modifying cars and the subsequent effects on the warranty is always a hot topic on car forums.

Most modifications, and definitely ECU ones, will void part(s) or all of your warranty.

I guess I shouldn't assume people actually read the warranty when they purchase things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sorry I thought you were being facetious. Tuning/modifying cars and the subsequent effects on the warranty is always a hot topic on car forums.

Most modifications, and definitely ECU ones, will void part(s) or all of your warranty.

I guess I shouldn't assume people actually read the warranty when they purchase things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate the answer. I wasn't being facetious I was truly curious. I've loved performance cars my entire life, but this is the first time I've even thought about modifying a car's performance because I only recently started making enough money to consider modding. I'll definitely be reading the warranty, I don't want to void the warranty.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
On my Fiesta ST I have a Mountune MP215 tune which does not void the warranty. But......most tunes will void the warramty, just need to know before you buy. Mountune works closely with Ford. My guess is if any company comes out with a warranty friendly tune, it would be Mountune. I dont know if the previous RSs had such tunes from Mountune....warranty friendly or not.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'm not ignoring this! I asked if this would void the warranty. If so, I am hoping Mountune comes out with a warranty friendly tune :)
I'm not trying to turn this into yet another warranty argument, but just so your clear if you tuned your car and say your windshield wiper motor dies on you, that's still covered under your warranty. Technically they have to prove what you did to the car caused the failure. They cannot void your entire warranty.

Here's some reading if your curious...
Keeping Your Mod's Warranty Intact - For Dummies

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
From what I have heard companies are already in the works when it comes to tunes for the RS, Mountune is a given but like posted above I have seen Cobb posting RS stuff.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
I'm not trying to turn this into yet another warranty argument, but just so your clear if you tuned your car and say your windshield wiper motor dies on you, that's still covered under your warranty. Technically they have to prove what you did to the car caused the failure. They cannot void your entire warranty.

Here's some reading if your curious...
Keeping Your Mod's Warranty Intact - For Dummies
What he said ^

It's no secret though that most dealers will try to weasel their way out of ANY warranty repair so if they know you have a tune they'll most likely just make it harder on you to get something major repaired. Legally, they have to prove that the tune caused the failure. It's a fine line though, pretty easy for a court to determine that your engine failed because you remapped the ECU for an output not recommended/warrantied by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Already a rumor of the RS over 400 lbft torque to the wheels with just tuning. Would love to actually see it on a dyno. What did cobb get with just tuning on the mustang 2.3EB?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
About this Discussion
54 Replies
22 Participants
ChadB916
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing