Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wcf-honda-civic-type-r-.jpg wcf2.jpg

by Hunter Skipworth, 15 Jan 2016

Set for unveiling at Tokyo Auto Salon, could this be the quickest Type R ever?

The Honda Civic Type R Mugen concept shows an even more hardcore take on the already extreme hot hatchback. Set for unveiling at the Tokyo Auto Salon, details on the car still remain scarce.

What can be gathered from pictures is the various exterior modifications Mugen has made to the Type R. The front splitter is even more aggressive, while the rear arches are wider. The vents above the front arches are gone and the quad exhaust pipes have been replaced with just one.

The rear wing is a GT3 RS-style lightweight affair, while the wheel design has changed and the bodywork has been daubed in various Mugen badges.

Traditionally Mugen Civics feature equally outlandish engine upgrades, but details on any mechanical changes are still under wraps. Based on the previous gen FN2 Mugen, which brought power on a standard Type R up from 198bhp to 237bhp, you can expect Focus RS-rivalling performance stats from this concept.

The last Mugen Civic Type R was an extremely limited production run vehicle, with only 20 ever making their way to the UK. We tested the car against the Championship White Civic Type R and were suitably impressed.

The Tokyo Auto Salon will kick off on the 15th of January, so you can expect more details on the Mugen Type R concept then.

Honda Civic Type R Mugen concept shows even more hardcore hatch | Evo

·
Registered
111 Posts
That's actually something I'd like Honda to make. I'd like to see this against a Mk3 RS500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
895 Posts
I was contemplating a new Civic Type R until they said they weren't selling them in Australia, but at the end of the day, I don't think the Mugen version will match a normal MK3 RS as it's still front wheel drive.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Mugen - Single Exhaust -Come On ??

Okay, I get it but I don't like it. The real true SK2 drivers like to go to a single exhaust for lighter weight and better performance.

But come on, going from quad exhaust on the Type R to a SINGLE exhaust on the Mugen Type R. ..UGH..

Even the Golf R has quad exhaust .. I wouldn't have minded if the RS has quad exhaust but the dual looks classic and functional :)

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
167 Posts
This look used to only be available after extensive aftermarket modifications... Who is their target market? 13 year old boys in the year 1999?

5dab5a89d65b55b738feeffb0d65cbcdfb64f6b9cfb5309e2867f4603f33f3f8.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This look used to only be available after extensive aftermarket modifications... Who is their target market? 13 year old boys in the year 1999?

View attachment 3785
Reminds of this poster:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
561 Posts
That's just... Not a good looking hatch back. I'm sure it'll perform brilliantly but man, so damn ugly. Think they should hire some European manufacturers to design their exteriors for them lol.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
That's just... Not a good looking hatch back. I'm sure it'll perform brilliantly but man, so damn ugly. Think they should hire some European manufacturers to design their exteriors for them lol.
When your platform is the 2016 Civic, there's just not much that you can do. I liked it better back when the Civics didn't have any styling.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Mismatched fender flares, odd shaped front canards, and a bent (?) hood throw it all off.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
This in AWD would be something to make you go hmmm!
Agreed! Cool looking car. Maybe a bit too boy racer, but... of it's all functional, might work.

Jim

·
Registered
43 Posts
God that is one ugly car !!

It needs a chin job to fix the lower jaw
and maybe some liposuction on the sides to even out those fender flairs.

·
Registered
965 Posts
People who like rice with stretched tires must love the look just needs a proper stance..... Nawh, I'm not with that....
Will the Civic Type R even make it to the US, I can't find any articles that it would.

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
5,582 Posts
^^^^
+1 I agree with the reviewer. That Honda at high rpm is at its limit and gives sensational feedback to driver whereas r8 is lost in the drive neither at its limit nor potentially reaching it in that country road.
I just wonder how the RS focus will do v Audi R8.
Certainly will be an interesting comparison on that lovely country road and then press drift mode and the Audi driver will be shiat scared watching a drift in rear view mirror... Very scary... LoL

1 - 20 of 28 Posts