Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Honda Civic Type R Hothatch Reveals All its Superpowers

11K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Ih8rice 
#1 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Red

by Tudor Rus, 2 June 2015

The most extreme and high-performing Type R ever built is finally here, and Honda took their time to release new intel, and a score of photos with the hottest Civic money can buy at this moment.

Before we get into juicy specs for the Honda Civic Type R, let's talk some etymology. Honda engineers had the word 'Buttigiri' in mind when they started working on the new Type R. Its English explanation would be 'to break on through and leave the rest behind'. That being said, let's see what the Civic Type R is up to.

The oily bits

First, the engine. The new direct-injected turbocharged 2.0-liter VTEC Turbo petrol unit churns out 310 HP at 6,500 rpm and a maximum torque of 400Nm (295lb-ft) available in the 2,500 and 4,500 rpm interlude.

And now, for the powerplay. The engine's red-lining is set at 7,000 rpm and for that you'll have to thank the advanced new turbocharging system which incorporates Honda’s Variable Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC) technology.

When it comes to controlling and more important unleashing such figures on the asphalt, Honda offers a six-speed manual transmission. The result is a 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) sprint achievable in 5.7 seconds continued by a dash that can be sustained until the top speed of 270 km/h (167 mph) is reached.

Lastly, fuel consumption. As much as we understand what nobody will care about it when driving the new Civic Type-R, we shall mention it because it's our job. Honda says the hell-bord Civic only demands on an average 7.3 l/100 km (38.7 mpg UK / 32.2 mpg US), but we consider that achievable only if granny is driving.

Looks and gizmos

Honda prepared five colors for the Type R, as it follows: Championship White, Crystal Black (pearlescent), Polished Metal (metallic), Brilliant Sporty Blue (metallic) and Milano Red. The outer body was designed to be both aggressive and aerodynamic. Also, take time to observe those holes in the bumper feeding the intercooler, as they are also meant to maximize aerodynamic behavior.

A new four-wheel Adaptive Damper System is available for the Type R. This solution basically allows continuous independent control of each wheel with a clear purpose: more grip on the road in performance driving conditions.

With all that power available, stopping is a crucial matter and Honda is well aware of that. As a result, they reached out to Brembo, who delivered a special breaking packaged for the Type R, with four-piston calipers and 350mm drilled discs at the front.

Other amenities include the Android-based Honda Connect infotainment system, automatic climate control air conditioning and cruise control with speed limiter. There's also a GT Pack available to potential buyers, along with other four accessories bundles: Red Exterior Pack, Red Interior Pack, Carbon Exterior Pack and Carbon Interior Pack.

On the inside, racing-oriented clues are spread everywhere, starting with the sport seats covered in black and red suede leather with red double stitching. There's also a flat-bottomed steering wheel coupled with Honda's Multi-Information Display (i-MID) giving real-time info on G forces, brake pressure, gas pedal position and lap time - useful for those sunny days on the track.

Honda Civic Type R Hothatch Reveals All its Superpowers - Photo Gallery - autoevolution

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
It's a hard look. Kinda like the last girl in the bar at 2:30 am....well it looks like I'm taking this one home. Only because it's the last option. This car looks like an abortion in a dumpster fire.

#9 ·
If the vehicle is engineered correctly it will not be too much power even though FWD. This is evolution, it wasn't 10 years ago where 200 HP was too much for a FWD car. My Balt SS had around 330WHP on race gas and was manageable, even could grip hard in 2nd if the tires were up to temp. I also like a little fight in my cars, reminds me that there is a limit and if I exceed that bad things happen lol. Cars that push the limit are not that bad, push too much though and it does get frustrating. One of the most boring vehicles I have driven was a 997 Turbo S, Quite, always put its power down, and would correct your mistakes for you. Sometimes too good is not good.

#13 ·
Both these machines are at Goodwood Festival of Speed, I think it would be great to get both of them to run the hill climb and see the times compared.

#14 ·
#15 ·
#17 ·
I don't know how the type R is even an honerable mention

#19 ·
Here's an interesting video:

#20 · (Edited)
I wonder what the Stig would say?

(WWTSS?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.