Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that the Focus RS will come with a Hill Start Assist feature, similar to what's found in the Focus ST and Fiesta ST. This feature holds the car for a couple seconds when you are stopped in an upward incline. The goal is to help the car not roll back when on an incline. I'm not absolutely sure that this feature will be available in the RS, but was wondering what folks feel about it. Does anyone know for sure that this feature will be available in the RS and if so, do you love it or hate it? Do you know if it can be switched off?

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I think the "hill start" is fine and I have been driving manuals "forever". I leave it enabled, but don't really need it, and don't feel it is that intrusive.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
520 Posts
Don't mind it. I don't find myself starting on too many steep hills so it probably won't be used too often unless I move to the likes of San Fran. Bonus points that it can be disabled.

Auto stop-start on the other hand......HATE HATE HATE IT!!!!! All that hassle, the need for a more expensive battery and starter, plus additional wear and tear on the engine all for the tune of.....1 ADDITIONAL MPG CITY?????? Yeah no thanks, I'm going to bribe my service manager to reprogram the feature to be off by default.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Pretty sure it will show up on the RS and it will be a feature you can toggle off or on, as it is on the ST. My opinion is its nice to have but I've heard others say they can't stand it. Overall it's there if you want it and you can turn it off if you don't so everyone should be happy... Accept the crowd that'll say it's unfair that I have to wade through a menu every time I start the car to disable it. Can't please everyone.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Pretty sure it will show up on the RS and it will be a feature you can toggle off or on, as it is on the ST. My opinion is its nice to have but I've heard others say they can't stand it. Overall it's there if you want it and you can turn it off if you don't so everyone should be happy... Accept the crowd that'll say it's unfair that I have to wade through a menu every time I start the car to disable it. Can't please everyone.
I think hill start is a permanent setting. Auto-start stop is not, but it has a physical button vs a menu option.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The Abarth has hill assist. We had a Pop before that and I found it intrusive enough that I took the effort to disable it every time I got in the car. On the Abarth my boyfriend finally agreed with me and it stays off. It's not so much that hill assist is awful or always intrusive, but there are a few situations where it changes how the car behaves and so it is different than you expect. And that's what bothers me. I want the car to do what I want and nothing else. Although for some reason auto start/stop[ doesn't bother me at all.

I'm weird.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Yeah, I'm good with the hill assist. Don't know about the auto off-on... I've never had one with that.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I liked it on my fiesta. I don't see why it's a bad thing unless you enjoy rolling back a foot when starting on hills. Can live without it no problem but it's handy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I haven't had the hill start assist on my ST be intrusive yet (nearly 2 years of ownership). Overall I appreciate the system as I don't have to grab the handbrake on really steep hills like I do on my subaru.

·
Registered
56 Posts
there is a video (not sure which one) where it shows the settings menu and it has the hill assist setting with a empty box next to the word. when you select the hill assist option the empty box has a check symbol to let you know its on. just like the setting for every thing else sport mode, track mode, auto start stop, ect.

·
Registered
717 Posts
there is a video (not sure which one) where it shows the settings menu and it has the hill assist setting with a empty box next to the word. when you select the hill assist option the empty box has a check symbol to let you know its on. just like the setting for every thing else sport mode, track mode, auto start stop, ect.
Yep, in the tech presentation - it can be seen in the Launch Control portion of the presentation, underneath the Launch Control menu option

·
Registered
268 Posts
Don't mind it. I don't find myself starting on too many steep hills so it probably won't be used too often unless I move to the likes of San Fran. Bonus points that it can be disabled.

Auto stop-start on the other hand......HATE HATE HATE IT!!!!! All that hassle, the need for a more expensive battery and starter, plus additional wear and tear on the engine all for the tune of.....1 ADDITIONAL MPG CITY?????? Yeah no thanks, I'm going to bribe my service manager to reprogram the feature to be off by default.
Not to hijack the Hillstart thread but doesnt the autostop have to have a whole bunch of parameters met to actually shut off? I know I've never been in the habit of putting my car into neutral while at a light which means it wouldnt ever shut off for me. But then again i dont live in the big city where you spend countless hours sitting at lights.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Not to hijack the Hillstart thread but doesnt the autostop have to have a whole bunch of parameters met to actually shut off? I know I've never been in the habit of putting my car into neutral while at a light which means it wouldnt ever shut off for me. But then again i dont live in the big city where you spend countless hours sitting at lights.
Yes it has to be in neutral to engage, and it's true that I don't find myself shifting into neutral at too many stop lights. But even so, say I shift out of gear at a longer light and the engine shuts off. FIVE OR TEN SECONDS LATER the light turns green, I shift back into first and the engine has to start up again.

I'm no engineer, but if that doesn't put unnecessary strain on the engine and starter, I'll be god damned. I don't care that "the components are beefed up for the duty", tripling or even quadrupling the number of engine start and stops is NOT good for the longevity of any part of the drive train. Be that the crankshaft, seals, bearings, you name it, rapid shut offs and restarts are no bueno. The tech is too new to really test long term reliability as most vehicles that have the feature are less than 2 years old and have not yet reached mid to high mileage.

Also, the engine has to be warmed up and I believe it may only shut off in normal/sport modes. Even so, I'll make my battery/starter last longer and have the dealer reprogram it to be off by default. Not worth the extra 1 MPG in the city.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Keep your foot on the clutch for short lights, neutral for lights you make are longer. Many near me are red for a minute +

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hill assist is nice to have after trying it in some cars. Not needed, but a happy addition since I live in the Seattle area. I've driven plenty of manuals around town without it, but it gives the stupid drivers that park up your ass on a hill a bit less of a scare.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I feel like this would be a handy piece of tech for my usual commute. In Brooklyn, everyone stops within a foot or two of your bumper and it would be nice to have the car keep me from rolling back into whoever's right on my rear bumper. There are a few places where there is a stop light at the top of a hill I could see this feature being useful for.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts