Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay Everyone, I did a bit of searching, but wasn't quite able to find anyone with my exact scenario. So, I recently purchased a '17 RS with 78k miles on it. When I purchased it from the dealership (a ford dealer) they said It never had been tuned from what they could see. After getting the car and a lot of internet research, I actually though Facebook found the guy that owned my car, and of course, it was tuned before he traded it in. Is there anyone on here that has a stage one kit from say Mountune on their car that has been tuned for 100k+miles? I would like to do their stage 1 accessport kit, but don't know if these things are a ticking time bomb, or at that level (350ish wheel) are they reliable? Also to note a lot of my miles will be highway back and forth on the weekends and for work a bit. Yes, I have budget a new block at some point, just really dont want that "some point" to be soon.

For reference, I had a 2.7 ecoboost f150 for a while, and spent quite a bit of time on their forums. Those guys are able to get even up over the 150k mile mark on solid towing tunes with not a single hickup.

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
Okay Everyone, I did a bit of searching, but wasn't quite able to find anyone with my exact scenario. So, I recently purchased a '17 RS with 78k miles on it. When I purchased it from the dealership (a ford dealer) they said It never had been tuned from what they could see. After getting the car and a lot of internet research, I actually though Facebook found the guy that owned my car, and of course, it was tuned before he traded it in. Is there anyone on here that has a stage one kit from say Mountune on their car that has been tuned for 100k+miles? I would like to do their stage 1 accessport kit, but don't know if these things are a ticking time bomb, or at that level (350ish wheel) are they reliable? Also to note a lot of my miles will be highway back and forth on the weekends and for work a bit. Yes, I have budget a new block at some point, just really dont want that "some point" to be soon.

For reference, I had a 2.7 ecoboost f150 for a while, and spent quite a bit of time on their forums. Those guys are able to get even up over the 150k mile mark on solid towing tunes with not a single hickup.
Great question! I’ve always wondered, at what point you have to retune the tune. Once and done, doesn’t make sense, considering wear & tear.🤷

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've been tuned nearly every km I've put on my '16. There hasn't been an issue yet where it's caused me any problems. Not quite @ 100k miles yet but I can't forsee any issues popping up that wouldn't have been a problem regardless. I'm on a tune+ unlimited situation and only sent a couple data logs after I switched to 91 from 94oct. My vote is to slap a cobb back on the car and enjoy!

·
Registered
147 Posts
It’s dependant on how often you beat on the engine. Generally speaking, an engine that’s tuned will likely lessen its ‘factory state’ longevity prior to requiring reconditioning like any other internal combustion engine. There’s dudes and dudette’s tuned with high mileage 2.3 ecoboost. Others are unlucky.

More boost means more load and will stress the internal components like pistons, bearings, valve seats, head gaskets and other components that rely on rotation to operate or seals to keep the outside dry and inside wet (heat cycles - head gasket included). The rest is standard service maintenance and checking over the car yourself, you know, listen for clunks and stuff.

So, if tuned my recommendations are:
  • Dump your oil and change your filters/fluids regularly - for me that means at half intervals.
  • Spark plugs are notoriously fickle in the 2.3, so do those regularly - for me that means yearly.
  • Install oil catch cans and empty them regularly - direct injection engines pump smoggy oily vapours back through the intake system leading to increased carbon deposits. For me it’s a must to keep up performance.
  • Keep the charge air temperatures as cool and consistent as possible - for me that means a good intercooler and a quality sealed intake system.
  • Fill up on the best fuels you can - can’t tell you enough what the combustion chamber looks like with prolonged use of low octane fuels with crappy detergents.
  • Buy good bits by reputable manufacturers- don’t cheap out.
  • Monitor performance and befriend a tuner buddy - strike the conversation about your experiences with your car, tune to suit.
  • Clean your car including engine bay fastidiously - seriously gets over overlooked, but grime is like sandpaper and wears away at everything that has a surface that’s mated to an edge, including electrical connections.
  • Know your engine’s limits - know your engine’s limits, for me number chasing is boring.

Gawd speed - tuning is well worth the hassle when it comes to an RS.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
There is an RS on here with 170k mi and almost all of it tuned. He recently did a motor tear down (not needed) and found a few wear items like the hpfp cam lobe, which wouldn’t have any effect of being tuned.

for myself I’m at 69k km (whatever that is in Stone Age measurements) all of them tuned/modified with multiple track days a year, no issues

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,574 Posts
There is an RS on here with 170k mi and almost all of it tuned. He recently did a motor tear down (not needed) and found a few wear items like the hpfp cam lobe, which wouldn’t have any effect of being tuned.

for myself I’m at 69k km (whatever that is in Stone Age measurements) all of them tuned/modified with multiple track days a year, no issues
I believe you may be referring to @LazarusMK3? Pretty sure he said he was tuned for most of those miles. I remember because it made me feel good about getting my tune.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts

There’s 1.6km to a stone age mile 😉
So about 43k miles

Reactions: SUBAFST

·
Registered
128 Posts

Custom tuned cars can be very reliable, yes. Even with high mileage. We see low and high mileage alike daily. As long as you keep up the maintenance you should be good to. I tell customers to make sure the plugs and the plug gap are not ignored. Really easy to do and will have a BIG impact if not kept up.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Custom tuned cars can be very reliable, yes. Even with high mileage. We see low and high mileage alike daily. As long as you keep up the maintenance you should be good to. I tell customers to make sure the plugs and the plug gap are not ignored. Really easy to do and will have a BIG impact if not kept up.
How often should spark plugs be changed?

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
How often should spark plugs be changed?
they should be checked and/or re-gapped every 10k miles.
i recommend swapping in new ones 20-25k.
bad plugs will tell you when they need to be addressed....very rough start up / idle...and actual throttle cuts under heavy boost.
from my experience...there can be a 50 hp difference with good vs bad plugs. so it's very worth your time and $ to make sure these are good 2 go.
oem gap - 0.030
tuned - 0.026

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,574 Posts
they should be checked and/or re-gapped every 10k miles.
i recommend swapping in new ones 20-25k.
bad plugs will tell you when they need to be addressed....very rough start up / idle...and actual throttle cuts under heavy boost.
from my experience...there can be a 50 hp difference with good vs bad plugs. so it's very worth your time and $ to make sure these are good 2 go.
oem gap - 0.030
tuned - 0.026
Probably overkill, but I replace my spark plugs every 10K miles. Cheap insurance in my opinion.

Reactions: big jim

·
Registered
10 Posts

My RS has 84,000 miles on it and runs totally fine (also have had a 93 octane tune on it for 2 years among other bolt-on's), I'm going to get a re-tune very soon as multiple new bolt on's are going to be installed, I know this is going to start putting some serious stress on the engine but as long as the general maintenance is kept up and I don't beat the living crap out of it should be fine, next step from here though is internal engine forging and better head gasket, the RS is a great car factory and can definitely withstand some upgrades NP, but I figure to go BIG its good to know the engine can take it. And yes that's going to cost some cash but at the end of the day "you gotta pay to play"

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I know it’s old but I’ll toss my hat in the ring. One and done.
Why? Because the small amount of change we will see from wear is well within the ability for adjustments on our ecu.
I have a 314k mile 3.5 been tuned all but 300 miles and run 93 plus meth. No issues still pulling the same 12:6 1/4 mile.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts