Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Here in the UK, thats used GTR and 911 Turbo (996) money

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Nachtsturm 
#1 ·
Ok I know its kind of an apples and oranges comparo (but since ppl are talking C7, I figured why not). So here in the UK, if you stretch your budget 10K USD you can get an 09/10 GTR, granted you are getting 50K mile cars, and bottom of the barrel, but its a GTR. For 5-8K USD LESS you are getting into some pretty clean Porsche 996's (Turbo). But like I said, apples and oranges because you would not realistically daily the Porsche, and while you could daily the GTR, the RS as a daily I can only imagine is infinately more livable. Getting 400hp with boltons and a tune I am assuming will be more than possible (in the RS).

Sidenote: Being in the UK, I am actually passing on the Recaro shells...because I will be 40 this year, and I often travel 2-3 hours for business across the mainland.

#2 ·
Order those shells and send them this way! There are plenty of people on this side of the pond that would willingly ship their base Recaros over there!

#4 ·
Some people just like new vehicles and this is also a dream car for many. I personally would not take a GTR over the RS or a 996 Turbo. I drove a 997 Turbo S on the track and actually found it kind of boring, fast but the vehicle made it way to easy for the driver and it was basically silent. I also drove a Black edition GTR actually preferred it to the Turbo S in terms of fun to drive factor. It also comes down to these cars are amazing vehicles but you bring nothing back to the driver that the RS won't on regular roads, and honestly the RS may be the more enjoyable vehicle because of it's size and ability to be closer to the limit on public roads. The one thing you won't get is the prestige of owning a supercar, but to many the RS is a supercar.

When ever I think of my dream garage I never imagine it with out an RS. The RS is a perfect DD for people that love driving. If I was looking for a toy though my opinion changes, the GTR or used turbo start to look better, but those wouldn't be my pick as toys anyways (Think Ariel Atom).

#5 ·
I wouldn't want any service bill on the GTR or 911 turbo. RS makes more sense, but I would go for a RUF RGT8.

Reactions: Crooked Letta
#7 ·
The GTR doesn't come in a manual and that automatically excludes it from something I would ever own. Not only that, but I've never met a GTR owner that wasn't an arrogant asshole. I loved suprising those guys on the highway lol

Porsche 997 is fantastic car but maintenance and driving it daily would get old.

#8 ·
Can daily a GTR but not a 911? I mean last I checked the 911 is the pinnacle of daily driver sports cars.

I cross shopped something like this too. Looked at a 997 4S with about 40k on the clock (if I remember correctly) priced BELOW an RS at 38k.

Reasons I chose against the 911:
No mileage on the RS
Maintenance of the 911 would be significantly higher.
If its your only car, its far less practical. Only seats 2, far less storage, ect. It would be my only car

And trust me, I had a he!! of a time getting that 911 out of my head. I'm a bit of a Porsche fan if you couldnt have guessed lol.

No GTRs in the US in the RS's price range here in the US. Not a GTR fan at all so I cant say I even considered this one, but it would have the same issues as the 911 above.

Reactions: mofoRS
#9 ·
I did Racing Exotics too in Vegas. Had the same instructor that you had in the GTR I think (but in a 458). Such a fun time.

Reactions: Crooked Letta
#12 ·
I have been a few times and well worth it everytime :) The 458 was one of my favorites but I like the Scuderia a bit more due to it's rawness and ability to brake so late. Next on the list I need to drive is the GT3 and Z06. Now if we were talking about a GT3 instead of a turbo on this thread, that is a tough call because a GT3 is a dream car for me but good luck getting those at a decent price, let alone a GT3 RS.

I also drove a Cayman R and that was a hoot, I had 21 laps but the trans overheated and we had to stop at 14 and they threw me into the Turbo S. You could see how quick I was able to drive the Turbo S and if you compare it to my Scuderia video it took a few more laps to match the Turbo S time but in the end I was about 1.5 secs faster in the Scud. The GTR was another car that was quick to reach my limit in as well.

#11 ·
Here in Australia you wouldn't get either(Porsche or GTR) for money even close to the RS.

#13 ·
I am going to drive a Cayman R and the new Cayman S tomorrow. The want will be strong but I hope the test drives don't make me want to back out of my Focus RS order...

Must stay strong...

Anyone have familiarity with the newest Cayman S? I've always been partial to light and nimble 2 seaters especially in mid engine configuration. But without a turbo I feel like the RS will have the Cayman beat in the torque surge factor and "feeling" fast. My BRZ is fairly extensively modded on E85 gas and it is quick but I would say it's far from the insanely fast feeling my tuned and modded 135i had.

#14 ·
^ For a guy with no kids or no need for a 4 door I would go Cayman S EVERYDAY ALL DAY. Exclusivity and presence alone makes it a no brainier. Who cares about torque loss to the RS? Will you get beat at the track by one? I highly doubt that. Straight line pull...possibly...but again who cares? If its new 2+2 turbo you're after go for a 235I Msport. My humble opinion of course.

#15 ·
I hear you... married no kids (ever), awesome job so price isn't a real concern, just stingy me not wanting to exceed $80k, and I've always lusted over Porsche's... But, part of me isn't quite ready for it I suppose. I'm almost 32 and I still want a bit of a hooligan car.

I've owed the 135i with over 400whp and it was a blast but a bit uninspired and not really "special". I feel the 235i is about the same. I used to be a huge BMW fan and also owned an e46 m3 and a z4 M coupe but as of late I feel they have lost their way in persuit of mass appeal and profits and my interest has waned. The "special" factor is also less with the Porsche, they are everywhere here in San Diego.

Ford is killing it right now and I am by no means a badge whore, brands don't matter as long as the product is quality.

This would be a lot easier if I could just drive an RS now... Ha. The other option would be get the RS now, DD it and then pick up a used 997 GT3, I won't be able to afford that setup for about a year though.

#17 ·
No hatch, no care. :p

I've rented a GTR for 24h from Hertz once and loved it, and would daily it, but OMG the maintenance costs are just too much. From tires to oil changes to tranny servicing I could afford to buy a used GTR but I wouldn't want to maintain it, especially as a daily.

#18 ·
Yeah the econo-boxes are really pushing up on the 300+ hp boundary in a hurry. The ONLY thing unproven for me is the RS's AWD drive-line. Is it gremlin free and can it take a beating? The only real other option is to wait and see if Subaru decides to drop the FA20 into the next STI. But I swear that company hates profits (No FA STI, no turbo BRZ), so they probably wont.

#19 ·
For 5-8K USD LESS you are getting into some pretty clean Porsche 996's (Turbo).
If that were the case in my area, I would be buying a 996TT. In the RS price range, all you would get is a TT with 100K+ miles or one with a questionable history. Low mile, Clean examples still fetch about a 15K premium compared to an RS. 997.1 TTs go for double that of the RS.

2009-2010 GTR's are > 20K plus more than an RS.

I am a huge fan of the Focus RS, and have one on order, but there is no comparison.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.