Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am told I need a new catalytic converter and the car is out of warranty so I wanted a catted downpipe - my only problem is I cant seem to find one or an installer who will get back to me.

I looked at the COBB downpipe - but they are out and have no ETA for restocking

Any hint on who to talk to or where to go near Northern NJ ?

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,189 Posts
IIRC emission parts should be covered longer than the regular warranty.

Reactions: Wiley Marmot

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
IIRC emission parts should be covered longer than the regular warranty.
Mine was replaced under some sort of emissions warranty at the end of 2021 but this was Ford Canada. I was out of the 5Y powertrain warranty and they didn’t have to charge it on my extended warranty so I didnt have to pay my deductible.

Hope you have similar laws in the US or at least the state you live in as Nicklulu posted!

Otherwise as I found out by the dealer underestimating time required for cat replacement, it is a very long job so plan for 6-8 manhours if you’re not doing it yourself and the mechanic doing it is not familiar with the RS!

·
Registered
414 Posts
If what Nick suggests doesn't work out; you might try Magna Flow; who makes an OEM compatible DP/cat. Though in looking at the linked add; it may also be out of stock. NOTE: Looks like they offer more than one version of the DP/cat; depending on what state you live in. So, if you're in CA-----that one might be in stock.

rockauto.com might be a good source too.

or getoemparts.com

or tascaparts.com

Good luck!

·
Registered
417 Posts
One more thing on what Nick posted above - states can have even longer warranty than the overall Federal requirements - in California I got a notice from Ford that they are extending it even further from what the RS manual initially said (and weirdly enough that one page add-on still shows as an open recall against the VIN - my dealer told me that they can't clear it). If your car has CA emissions it is possible that the longer period also applies to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for the reminder re warranty - I just assumed (and you know what that did). I will get her to the ford dealer for a simple replacement. If they have huge delays I will try to source a higher performance DP. The car failed inspection - so I have to keep her off the street except to repair her.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am told I need a new catalytic converter and the car is out of warranty so I wanted a catted downpipe - my only problem is I cant seem to find one or an installer who will get back to me.

I looked at the COBB downpipe - but they are out and have no ETA for restocking

Any hint on who to talk to or where to go near Northern NJ ?

Mark
hit up sp63 they are in Linden and they are amazing at anything focus related they are doing my built block

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yup, talk to Pablo at SP63.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts

they delivered to me in ABQ new mex no problemo

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am going through the exact same thing right now, but my dealer was able to get the cat itself covered by ford because of the above mentioned longer warranty for emissions. (presumably because they knew that from the HG failures the cats would follow along years later) My other purchased bumper to bumper warranty should cover the rest...and thats where it gets interesting. According to ford when they do this they replace a TON of stuff...including the subframe?? Which is very odd, because there is a few videos on youtube of people just replacing the cat without dropping any of the subframe.

And yes, I had the technician pull up the computer and show me that their manuals and service instructions actually specifics to remove the PTU, drop the subframe, and a few other steps as well..I did not believe them when they told me that, but thats what Ford tells their mechanics to do.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I am going through the exact same thing right now, but my dealer was able to get the cat itself covered by ford because of the above mentioned longer warranty for emissions. (presumably because they knew that from the HG failures the cats would follow along years later) My other purchased bumper to bumper warranty should cover the rest...and thats where it gets interesting. According to ford when they do this they replace a TON of stuff...including the subframe?? Which is very odd, because there is a few videos on youtube of people just replacing the cat without dropping any of the subframe.

And yes, I had the technician pull up the computer and show me that their manuals and service instructions actually specifics to remove the PTU, drop the subframe, and a few other steps as well..I did not believe them when they told me that, but thats what Ford tells their mechanics to do.

D1ckheads.
I changed my stock downpipe at home in the garage without removing any of those bits! Yeah its a bit fiddly, but definitely doable.

Reactions: morbid and Meldy50

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
i was told the same thing a few years ago. the tech who did the swap owned an RS too. not sure if he actually dropped the PTU? maybe it's what they need to log into their service sys in order to justify 6 hours labor?

·
Registered
20 Posts
i was told the same thing a few years ago. the tech who did the swap owned an RS too. not sure if he actually dropped the PTU? maybe it's what they need to log into their service sys in order to justify 6 hours labor?
Thats what I was kind of thinking too, but they are preparing a rental for me for at least a week on this. Part of me wants to just do it myself and put in a high flow cat, but the realist part of me says let some other guy bust his knuckles over this affair.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
671 Posts
If your car has decent mileage and has seen a lot of water, you might be best to let them do it then. It's not a difficult job, but lots of fiddly things to remove to get out of the way, then put back after. I've had my down pipe off a bunch of times but those times were close to each other. If the studs break off in the turbo flange, that'll greatly increase the time needed for the swap, but mine were in decent condition when I swapped pipes the first time. Just be patient and use lots of thread lube.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts