Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Dont believe thats correct. At least in Colorado. They have signs everywhere telling trucks to stay in a low gear. However they do have signs that say "engine brake mufflers required".
Apologies, I haven't been through Colorado in years, but it makes sense for trucks to stay in low gear in those situations, while engine braking for a regular car in a dangerous area is just that, dangerous. Cars around you won't see a brake light and won't know that you're "braking". I've seen on some cars these days that while they engine brake the brake lights go on, which I think makes sense.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Apologies, I haven't been through Colorado in years, but it makes sense for trucks to stay in low gear in those situations, while engine braking for a regular car in a dangerous area is just that, dangerous. Cars around you won't see a brake light and won't know that you're "braking". I've seen on some cars these days that while they engine brake the brake lights go on, which I think makes sense.
Hmm makes sense for cars. Not that I've seen many people in cars follow the rule...

M

·
0 Posts
I wore out the synchros between 4th and 5th on my WRX shifting without a clutch and had no choice but to use the clutch thereafter. So I'd say always use the clutch. I think you're suppose to with synchromeshed transmissions.

The thing about AWD is that you don't get a lot of wheel spin so feather your shifts, provide the slip that doesn't happen in the drivetrain in the clutch, so to speak.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I wore out the synchros between 4th and 5th on my WRX shifting without a clutch and had no choice but to use the clutch thereafter. So I'd say always use the clutch. I think you're suppose to with synchromeshed transmissions.

The thing about AWD is that you don't get a lot of wheel spin so feather your shifts, provide the slip that doesn't happen in the drivetrain in the clutch, so to speak.
Just curious ... why didn't you use the clutch ?? Just doesn't make sense to me :confused:

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've seen on here that I'm not alone in never owning a manual transmission car. For when we get our RS's, can some of you experienced drivers help myself and the rest of us with some questions we may have? Mine are below, anyone with questions should post them because I'm sure there's a few I'm not thinking about!

Questions:

When slowing down, say coming to a stop light, do you down shift through each gear down to 1st or put it in N and coast? IE in 5th, go to 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st/N when close to stopped or 5th to N.

Does shifting into the wrong gear happen often? IE 2nd at red line to 1st instead of 2nd to 3rd, or 4th to 1st instead of 4th to 3rd? Does it nuke your transmission? Because I've missed gears a few times in pc racing sims and it does not end well lol

When parked, do you leave it in N, 1st, or 2nd (all with e brake on)? I've seen different people do all of these.

How do you launch w/o launch control? I've heard its have the car in 1st with the clutch all the way in, rev to 4-5k and dump clutch. Would it be better on the car to have the car in N, rev to 4-5k clutch in quick, shift to 1st quick, and release clutch quick? As to not "run the clutch" (see below for that possibly made up term).

Is it bad for the clutch to have the clutch all the way depressed and excessively rev the engine? I was told this is "running the clutch".

Can you shift out of a gear to N without depressing the clutch? Is it extra wear on any parts?

Thanks!
i think your best bet is to actually get practice before you get your car...either get a used, cheap, & decent point A to point B car or have a sibling or friend with a manual (5 or 6 speed) take you out on an open road with a few stop signs and stop lights. with that being said, those stop signs and/or lights will really help you get the feel of clutch and gas motion. i think the hardest part of learning to drive a 5 or 6 speed is getting off the 1st gear.
when making a complete stop from moving forward, you could go from any gear, clutch, pop n neutral, release clutch, then brake to a complete stop. just dont ride on the clutch at a stop light.(having your foot on clutch while in 1st gear, getting ready for the light to turn green).

once youre comfortable driving stick, itll be like 2nd nature. hope this helps in any way. good luck and have fun

·
Registered
235 Posts
This thread just proves the Euro system for learning to drive if far Superior to the North American system. In the UK almost everybody learns to try in a manual transmission car, if you pass you test in an auto, you get an Auto only license. Thats how it should be IMHO.

M

·
0 Posts
Just curious ... why didn't you use the clutch ?? Just doesn't make sens to me :confused:

YMMV,

MidCow3
For fun. I was driving a five ton truck at the time and and I rarely used the clutch to shift once it was moving. Clutchless shifts in it were much faster, so I was curious how it would work on a car, which wasn't too well it turns out.

·
5,608 Posts
You need to practise and more practise.

Before my 5 speed manual wrx I practised on old truck which had the softest clutch I have ever experienced.
I did about 3-4 weeks training with my dad.

Then picked up wrx dad drive it home :) and learned on it but was very determined. There were times I stalled it and yes the clutch was a dogs breakfast and so so hard my left foot hurt but eventually it became instinctive.

All I'll say is every car is different and no more so the RS. Listening to gear change on some videos it's like very short throw, so am very keen to play.

Hope the clutch isn't as heavy duty as wrx/STi.

Good luck OP, be determined and never give up. Manual is da best period!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I only used a clutch for taking off from a stop in my old concrete mixer then you just Rev match and float gears.

If everyone had to learn how to drive stick in the US to even get a license I think we'd weed out a lot of bad drivers that just make the roads in safe. Hell, if people had to take a commercial license type of written and driven test then we would all be better off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Totally agree with @Paolo that practice and more practice is the key and i will say that every clutch in every car aren't the same. I remember my first manual car was 88 Toyota celica st (got this car inspired by its rally brother st165 gt4 alltrac). I remember it was a used car and clutch had a little amount of life left. I bought the car knowing that I will need determination to drive it coming from driving an automatic. So my dad and I took it out for my 1st drive and I couldn't get off the first gear. Finally figure it out driving on an open road with no cars and then stalled it when tested on a busy road. I Freaked out and insisted my dad to drive back. Man up a couple of days later, sucess, then the tranny chit on me because I f'd up the teeth of the second and third gears.
From that experience, I've been driving stickshift ever since. But yeah it takes practice.

then ford decide to add that anti stall/assist thing and I was like ah what!?...but that's another story.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Funny this thread was brought back to life, I just got home a few hours ago with this

image1 (2).JPG

91 Miata, tons of miles on the clock, with recent clutch and the water pump and timing belt done last summer. Couldnt stop smiling on the hour drive home.

Should serve as a good distraction for the next few months before the RS shows up.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Funny this thread was brought back to life, I just got home a few hours ago with this

View attachment 5861

91 Miata, tons of miles on the clock, with recent clutch and the water pump and timing belt done last summer. Couldnt stop smiling on the hour drive home.

Should serve as a good distraction for the next few months before the RS shows up.
That's exactly what I'm doing. I have a Classic Red '97 to keep me entertained until the RS arrives. I don't know what you consider "tons of miles" but Richard's got 142k and still going strong. I had a permanent smile for the first three months of ownership. Although in my case the Miata is my DD. Now that parts have started arriving, the fun begins!

I know that you'll love your new toy!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
That's exactly what I'm doing. I have a Classic Red '97 to keep me entertained until the RS arrives. I don't know what you consider "tons of miles" but Richard's got 142k and still going strong. I had a permanent smile for the first three months of ownership. Although in my case the Miata is my DD. Now that parts have started arriving, the fun begins!

I know that you'll love your new toy!
Tons of miles as in 220k on the clock :) But got it pretty cheap with 2 sets of tires, quite a bit of work done on it recently, and only plan on putting on another 10k in miles.

Unless I end up getting attached to the car, then I'm keeping it

·
Registered
635 Posts
As someone who has driven manual all his life and uses advanced shifting techniques (double clutch heel-toe) on a daily basis, I do not see the logic behind the purchase of an RS if you have beginner problems with manual gearboxes.

An RS driver needs to make love to the rev meter. He needs to be accustomed to the deltas between gears when shifting up and especially when shifting down. To extract the maximum out of your car, you need to know that shifting up you drop x amount of revs and shifting down you increase y amount of revs. Furthermore, the driver will always know if it is feasible to drop from 6th to 3rd and not redline uselessly. These are some of the things you need to factor in when you drive an RS and not how you release the clutch when you give it gas.

Having issues with manual gearboxes will clearly affect your wallet. The RS will suffer and you will have to pay to fix things that you will break. Mastering a manual is not as easy as some make it. Takes time, practice, and of course desire to understand how the engine, gearbox, and clutch work together.

Top tip: in a situation where braking is needed the pedal order is BRAKE and then CLUTCH not the other way around like some say here on the board. Even the heal to toe technique shows this.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I've only every owned manual cars, have been driving for over 30 years and been racing about the same, nearly all my comp cars have had close ratio dog boxes, current has a sequential dog box. Heel-toe down changing is so ingrained in my driving I do it EVERY downshift, it's just habit now, but not that clutch in-move lever-blip-clutch out, but clutch in - gear lever neutral-clutch up-blip throttle-clutch in- move gear lever- clutch up, whilst braking, sounds slow, can be down lightning fast. A while back I was coming in at speed to a corner and went rapid fire down the box, doubling the clutch on every change, an old guy on the side of the road had a huge smile and gave me a thumbs up, gave me a smile!

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
While being a pro driver helps fords said time and again, as well as reviews. This car isn't all about times on a track its about having fun driving. I'm sure anyone will be able to enjoy their car without heel toeing to work, calculating Delta's or making love to a rev meter.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Zen and the RS - You must become one with the car.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
While being a pro driver helps fords said time and again, as well as reviews. This car isn't all about times on a track its about having fun driving. I'm sure anyone will be able to enjoy their car without heel toeing to work, calculating Delta's or making love to a rev meter.
If the RS is truly engineered to be a drivers car as said, it will work with you to have fun. This means it should be easy to learn and bring joy as you test your skills, but won't kill you say like a Viper or Z06 would if you F up. I don't think any one should fear the RS and if they plan to own one try pushing their skills and learning new things, seeing as the RS will be a forgiving vehicle and all about the joy of driving.

Seeing as your from MA, RT2 and RT100 roads are a blast and are great for getting in that rhythm and long enough for 2 day sprints. I would advise any one with nice vacant mountain roads around them to try new techniques with a vehicle like this, it isn't a must to be enjoyed but it should be an amazing car to expand your driving skills on professional driver or not :)

41 - 60 of 132 Posts