Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a ‘16 SG RS with 71k miles that’s been my daily driver since I bought it new 5 years ago. It’s ran flawlessly and I’ve had zero mechanical issues with it.

I picked up a new battery at Costco since my current battery is original and due for a replacement. I had no trouble switching the two batteries. However, when I went to start it it would only go into accessory mode and then started throwing every possible error message at me:
  • Engine fault service now
  • AWD disabled
  • Drive mode selection disabled
  • Hill start assist disabled
…etc

Wont turn over. Car makes a ticking noise from the fuel injectors (I think?) even after I turn accessory mode off.
That’s all the relevant stuff I can think of for now. What did I do wrong?? 😭😭

·
Super Moderator
8,435 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Could be a terminal that wasn’t tightened enough. Was the battery fully charged?

Other than that you can put the PCM into safe mode if you have excessive arcing.

To reset it, disconnect the positive and negative and touch them together for a few seconds. Put the positive terminal on first and then the negative.

·
Super Moderator
8,435 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve got a ‘16 SG RS with 71k miles that’s been my daily driver since I bought it new 5 years ago. It’s ran flawlessly and I’ve had zero mechanical issues with it.

I picked up a new battery at Costco since my current battery is original and due for a replacement. I had no trouble switching the two batteries. However, when I went to start it it would only go into accessory mode and then started throwing every possible error message at me:
  • Engine fault service now
  • AWD disabled
  • Drive mode selection disabled
  • Hill start assist disabled
…etc

Wont turn over. Car makes a ticking noise from the fuel injectors (I think?) even after I turn accessory mode off.
That’s all the relevant stuff I can think of for now. What did I do wrong?? 😭😭
Hey Everyone,
I have the same issue as the first post.
My battery finally fully died after I brought it back to life few time with jumping it. So I went to Costco, bought the replacement and put it in.
Now I am getting the same list of errors that is listed above.
I already tried all three sequences to reset the BCM out there and also tried to short the positive and negative of the car (not the battery of course) and even based on few videos on YouTube left them connected for 10mins with an alligator clip cable. And noting works. The car ignition still does not turn on and the errors show up every time I try.
What other options I have to make it back to normal before towing it to a shop? I already ordered a bluetooth 4.0 Forscan dongle in the hope that it would bring a solution. it will arrive tomorrow.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Everyone,
I have the same issue as the first post.
My battery finally fully died after I brought it back to life few time with jumping it. So I went to Costco, bought the replacement and put it in.
Now I am getting the same list of errors that is listed above.
I already tried all three sequences to reset the BCM out there and also tried to short the positive and negative of the car (not the battery of course) and even based on few videos on YouTube left them connected for 10mins with an alligator clip cable. And noting works. The car ignition still does not turn on and the errors show up every time I try.
What other options I have to make it back to normal before towing it to a shop? I already ordered a
Looks like your last post might have been cut off? Sorry to hear about this issue! IIRC, my problem was likely caused by me attaching the leads to the battery terminals too slowly and causing arching which caused the car to put its PCM into safe mode. I reset it by "disconnect the positive and negative and touch them together for a few seconds. Put the positive terminal on first and then the negative" per the advice given above. Then I reattached the leads to the terminals quickly to try and prevent any accidental arching and that resolved it for me. Perhaps you could try those steps again and ensure that you connect the leads to the terminals quickly and securely?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks like your last post might have been cut off? Sorry to hear about this issue! IIRC, my problem was likely caused by me attaching the leads to the battery terminals too slowly and causing arching which caused the car to put its PCM into safe mode. I reset it by "disconnect the positive and negative and touch them together for a few seconds. Put the positive terminal on first and then the negative" per the advice given above. Then I reattached the leads to the terminals quickly to try and prevent any accidental arching and that resolved it for me. Perhaps you could try those steps again and ensure that you connect the leads to the terminals quickly and securely?
I fixed my post. this was the last part:
"What other options I have to make it back to normal before towing it to a shop? I already ordered a bluetooth 4.0 Forscan dongle in the hope that it would bring a solution. it will arrive tomorrow.
Any suggestions?"

How you put the negative terminal in after the positive considering the location of them? I tried to remove the other end of the negative terminal attached to the body and it did not give up. So I am sort of forced to put the positive thermal last after installing the negative and pushing the battery into its cradle.

Is there a way to get the PCM out of the safe mode with Forscan?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I fixed my post. this was the last part:
"What other options I have to make it back to normal before towing it to a shop? I already ordered a bluetooth 4.0 Forscan dongle in the hope that it would bring a solution. it will arrive tomorrow.
Any suggestions?"

How you put the negative terminal in after the positive considering the location of them? I tried to remove the other end of the negative terminal attached to the body and it did not give up. So I am sort of forced to put the positive thermal last after installing the negative and pushing the battery into its cradle.

Is there a way to get the PCM out of the safe mode with Forscan?
Reach over the battery and under the plastic cowl. It’s a tight fit but works. The top plastic for the battery box is removable in the front and back.

Or disconnect the negative cable from the drivers side of the body and connect the cable to the battery terminal. After that connect the positive cable to the battery and then the negative to the body.

If the car still didn’t start after replacing the battery and trying the PCM reset by connecting the disconnected terminals together you may have another problem.

could be the new battery is bad or the voltage os too low or you have a bad starter.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Reach over the battery and under the plastic cowl. It’s a tight fit but works. The top plastic for the battery box is removable in the front and back.

Or disconnect the negative cable from the drivers side of the body and connect the cable to the battery terminal. After that connect the positive cable to the battery and then the negative to the body.

If the car still didn’t start after replacing the battery and trying the PCM reset by connecting the disconnected terminals together you may have another problem.

could be the new battery is bad or the voltage os too low or you have a bad starter.

Good luck!
I managed to remove the other end of the negative cable from the body of the car. shorted the car positive terminal to cars body where negative cable was for few seconds. reattached the positive back to the battery first and then attached the negative cable back the body of the car. but it did not work. Also there are a lot of sparks between the negative cable and the body of the car when I reattached it, far more than usual sparks when you attache the positive to battery terminal last. Also wipers motors did a jitter too when I reconnect it.

The Foscan dongle will arrive later today, my hope is that it can shine some light on what is going on. I really do not want to tow my car to a shop!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update:
I connected the OBD2 scanner and it has power but all the apps I tried could not connect to the car PCM/ECU. It would just say make sure ignition is on which was. Any ideas? I also checked some of the fuses and non were visibly blown.

One more thing, I am not sure but it is possible that all these errors on dashboard showed up last time I tried to jump start the car with a jumper kit before it did not work and I went to change the battery. So also issues retailed to a bad jump start (if something of that sort is possible) can be the cause here too.

Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts