Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I ordered a 2015 ST2 a couple months back and I should have it in a couple months (I'm military living in Germany and ordered through ENCS). So I've been waiting on the '15 ST since last year with hearing rumors of the RS. I'm very close to canceling my ST now and wait another year or more for the RS and I'm assuming about $10k more. Plus, with this whole limited production BS who knows if the dealer will even get one.

Anyone care to talk some sense into me and stick with the ST???

Oh and curveball! I'll be deployed for 6 months and return about January, so the car will sit wasting away it's warranty anyways..

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sounds like for most of the first year of owning the 2015 FoST, it'll be sitting around waiting for you to return from deployment. Yes, the FoRS will be more money, but you can probably save some money during the time you're deployed (no down payment or monthly payments you'd be making on the FoST). The money you would have otherwise spent on the FoST can go toward the FoRS. If you are able to cancel the order on the FoST, I'd say do it and wait for the FoRS. After all, you are here on the Focus RS forum, so you are probably pretty interested in getting the RS, if possible. You'll probably be able to find a FoRS for sale somewhere after they are released. If all else fails, there'll still be plenty of Focus STs around you can buy.

I vote wait for the FoRS. My two cents :)

Guess I didn't do a very good job of talking you into sticking with the FoST :p

·
Registered
141 Posts
Alright so I ordered a 2015 ST2 a couple months back and I should have it in a couple months (I'm military living in Germany and ordered through ENCS). So I've been waiting on the '15 ST since last year with hearing rumors of the RS. I'm very close to canceling my ST now and wait another year or more for the RS and I'm assuming about $10k more. Plus, with this whole limited production BS who knows if the dealer will even get one.

Anyone care to talk some sense into me and stick with the ST???

Oh and curveball! I'll be deployed for 6 months and return about January, so the car will sit wasting away it's warranty anyways..
You'll forever be driving the ST and wondering "what if" you had that sweet, sweet torque vectoring high performance AWD with different drive modes, "well over 315hp" (closer to 350hp), upgraded shifter and transmission, upgraded engine internals, upgraded 2.3L turbo, upgraded radiator, thicker sway bars, Brembo brakes, etc.

The ST is a nice car. The RS sits above it, just like the GT350 sits above the Mustang GT.

Here is a full list of upgrades that the RS gets, compiled from another forum and slightly edited:

Engine and intake/exhaust:
- 2.3L EcoBoost with "well over 315hp" and hinted at being closer to 350hp, redline at 6800rpm
- new low-inertia twin-scroll turbo with larger compressor
- high-tensile cast iron liners in cylinder block
- cylinder head is an upgraded alloy to withstand high temperatures
- beefed up head gasket with improved thermal resistance
- auto start-stop technology is standard
- free-flowing intake and exhaust (the exhaust has an electronically-controlled valve in the tailpipe to control backpressure and noise)

AWD system:
- twin electronically controlled clutch packs on each side of the drive unit (controlled by the RDU, or rear drive unit) to provide front/rear torque split and side-to-side torque distribution on the rear axle
- RDU monitors many parameters 100 times a second, and can send up to 70% of available torque to the rear axle. Up to 100% of that torque at the rear axle can be shifted to any rear wheel
- RDU pre-emptively diverts torque to the outer rear wheel, to help drive the car into the corner and help eliminate understeer
- multiple modes, including a 'drift' mode (potentially a wet/snow mode, track mode, highway cruiser mode, etc.)
- according to carthrottle, this will be a full time AWD system, but it has also been said to switch to FWD under very low loads and when cruising without steering input (highway, for example)
- brake-based torque vectoring (only for the front wheels) will also work to help with torque vectoring
- more than 1g in lateral acceleration (skid pad)

Suspension and other bits:
- strengthened transmission and clutch
- larger radiator
- larger intercooler
- upgraded springs
- upgraded bushings
- upgraded anti-sway bars
- selectable two-mode dampers

Steering:
- EPS
- rigid front suspension knuckles
- shorter-link arms

Wheels / Tires:
- standard multi-spoke 19" alloys or forged wheels in low-gloss black
- 235/35/R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, with optional Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires

Exterior:
- exceptionally large diffuser
- front splitter to generate downforce
- brake cooling ducts
- Europe/Asia will get the clear central fog lamp
- Nitrous Blue (RS exclusive, not the same as Liquid Blue on the show model), Stealth Gray (near the end of the reveal video), Absolute Black and Frozen White.

Interior:
(pretty much like a 2015 ST)
- partial-leather Recaros
- flat-bottomed heated steering wheel with soft touch leather
- short shifter
- turbo boost gauge
- oil temperature gauge
- oil pressure gauge
Some of these upgrades are shared with the ST, like the steering wheel, possibly the Recaros, etc. But overall it is worth waiting for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just do yourself a favor and just wait. If you decide not to get the RS you could always find a slightly used 2015 and save another couple thousand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies! I knew I'd get the right answer on this board! I'm definitely gonna wait. My dealer is gonna love it when I go cancel it tomorrow... it is my money after all. Now time to see if they can keep my business and get an RS out here or not.

Cool thing is though I'm like an hour from the plant they're being built at!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the way the dealer out here works is they don't get a commission based off the price of the car, they get a sort of flat commission say $500 per car. So it doesn't matter how much the car is it matters how many they sell. And to top it off they get extra for a the little "extras" they can try to sell you on top of that like warrantees, ziebart, etc..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah the way the dealer out here works is they don't get a commission based off the price of the car, they get a sort of flat commission say $500 per car. So it doesn't matter how much the car is it matters how many they sell. And to top it off they get extra for a the little "extras" they can try to sell you on top of that like warrantees, ziebart, etc..
That sounds like how it should be done here in North America (US, Canada). You wouldn't get price gouging, fighting over pricing / discount. If the salesman can sell a car as quickly as they come rolling into the dealership at a certain profit and get a flat rate per car, that would encourage the dealership to tell its guys to back off on the bull**** and to just do what it takes to sell the car asap as opposed to salesmen trying to get as high a selling price as possible to pad their commission.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sounds like how it should be done here in North America (US, Canada). You wouldn't get price gouging, fighting over pricing / discount. If the salesman can sell a car as quickly as they come rolling into the dealership at a certain profit and get a flat rate per car, that would encourage the dealership to tell its guys to back off on the bull**** and to just do what it takes to sell the car asap as opposed to salesmen trying to get as high a selling price as possible to pad their commission.
And it does for the most part honestly, just gotta see past the other BS they try to sell you to make a few more bucks and your golden. Oh did mention it's tax free too....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well a little update, looks like I can't cancel 2015 ST order because it's already been built and about to ship and basically after reading over the contract again I don't fall under any criteria to cancel it without losing my $500 deposit. Also, this part made me laugh btw... ENCS can't order the RS because it's not being built in the North America. So even though this car is being built literally 30 mins down the road from me in Germany I can't order a US spec version.

No worries though, I'll just enjoy the lesser Focus (sorry current ST owners) for a couple years and try to get my hands on the RS later if at all possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts