Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to pick up either an octane blue or stealth gray rs this week (dealer has both coming in so I'm going to lock down one with a deposit) but I just need opinions on both. Here's my logic, blue is loud and screams look at this! Gray is definitely more subtle and sleeper style but doesn't have that head turn touch to it. What do you all think?

·
Registered
971 Posts
I'm going to pick up either an octane blue or stealth gray rs this week (dealer has both coming in so I'm going to lock down one with a deposit) but I just need opinions on both. Here's my logic, blue is loud and screams look at this! Gray is definitely more subtle and sleeper style but doesn't have that head turn touch to it. What do you all think?
It's actually Nitrous Blue, but at the end of the day it's personal choice. I went NB as I just love the quad coat metallic and its unique to the RS.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I did it by process of elimination. I had ruled out black and wbite off the bat and was excited to check out the grey, but it was way too light for me. I wanted something dark which would contrast well with light accents and Stealth Grey is not dark. So I got Nitrous Blue because it was the only color left.

.....hopefully you have a better reason than that.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I went with NB because I want my RS to stand out from the crowd and I wanted a Blue car. Plus black is too much work to keep clean, I thought the Gray was Fugly when I seen it in person, and white needs a black roof and mirrors.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I went with NB because I want my RS to stand out from the crowd and I wanted a Blue car. Plus black is too much work to keep clean, I thought the Gray was Fugly when I seen it in person, and white needs a black roof and mirrors.
Did you see the NB in person before ordering it? I was on the fence with it. So I went white. I was re-considering blue but the other one in town will be blue now so I'll stick with white, and possibly add the black roof and mirrors. (wrap first, if I like it then re-paint)

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would have gone stealth grey if we got it here in Australia (we get it on the ST for some reason), so went with white instead. The blue looks good too but we have it on Falcons here as well and I like the storm trooper look.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I would have gone stealth grey if we got it here in Australia (we get it on the ST for some reason), so went with white instead. The blue looks good too but we have it on Falcons here as well and I like the storm trooper look.
The blue is exclusive to the RS

·
Registered
669 Posts
image.jpeg
The blue is exclusive to the RS
We get Nitro Blue on our Falcons here in Australia which is very similar, if not identical.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The colour is something I'm really struggling with on this car. It's actually got me considering other vehicles altogether. I think if you are paying for the privilege of ordering a car to exact spec you want, you should be 100% happy with what you choose.

My thought process (note we get Magnetic instead of Stealth in Aus):

Black looks great as it makes the blue accents pop but far too much upkeep. White is too generic. I originally went for NB as its somewhat the hero colour of the car and makes it an RS, but hero colours tend not to age well and look tacky as time passes. (Plus as above we have a very simile color on Falcons here in Aus).

This has resulted in me choosing Magnetic by default of sorts. The colour looks ok in some lights but it seems to have this odd bronze/brown undertone in the shade. Plus it does make the car look a bit like a standard focus. So now I'm stuck with a colour that looks just ok in pics but I'm not crazy about :( :confused:

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Going tomorrow to do the paperwork for the blue. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I ended up going with nitrous blue simply because I've never had a blue car, and I've always wanted one, and it's the unique RS color. The only reason I didn't go with stealth grey was simply because my last grey car was a 2010 Mazda 3 that I ABSOLUTELY hated with a passion.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The colour is something I'm really struggling with on this car. It's actually got me considering other vehicles altogether. I think if you are paying for the privilege of ordering a car to exact spec you want, you should be 100% happy with what you choose.

Black looks great as it makes the blue accents pop but far too much upkeep. White is too generic. I originally went for NB as its somewhat the hero colour of the car and makes it an RS, but hero colours tend not to age well and look tacky as time passes. (Plus as above we have a very simile color on Falcons here in Aus).

This has resulted in me choosing Magnetic by default of sorts. The colour looks ok in some lights but it seems to have this odd bronze/brown undertone in the shade. Plus it does make the car look a bit like a standard focus. So now I'm stuck with a colour that looks just ok in pics but I'm not crazy about :( :confused:
I feel your pain and agree with your assessment of the colours. The white they've gone with is just so appliance-y, I wish they'd jazzed it up with some pearl or mica. Here we get SG rather than MG (don't you love those decision makers in marketing?) - in some light SG takes on a bluish tint which I like, in others it shows an unappealing primer or putty colour. I may go black despite the upkeep issues if I can't stomach the other options but I need to see SG in person to decide.

If you can wait until mid 2016 to order there is likely to be a new shade or two offered for the 2017 MY.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I went with frozen white because I like the storm trooper look and think it blends in really well with the cars black accents and the forged wheels. I have a gray car now so I wanted something different and I eliminated nitrous blue because it'll make you best friends with every cop you come across (and not in a good way, lol). It was between frozen white and shadow black in the end and I guess I just decided to side with the troopers instead of Darth Vader :cool:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I reluctantly chose Stealth Grey because it is A. It matches my personality (quiet, keeps under radar) B. Because I've owned and still own black (my OCD can't do that again) and currently own a tri-coat white (which I love) so FW appears boring and "appliancey" as was said above.
I'd love to own NB but it is very outgoing.. So Stealth Grey is my lesser evil. In the end, I'm left feeling a bit of disappointment because none of these colors really speak to me..

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I had to chose Black and this is why .....

I too, struggled with the colors and none were what I wanted. I probably would have gone with Magnetic, but alas, Ford chose not to offer it in the USA. I have had one white car because at the time it was the only color I could get and ended up being my one and only BMW. I just don't like the shade of blue, Nitrous Blue is. I have had several blue cars that I liked; probably the best was a Twilight Blue 442, a medium very metallic blue. The Stealth Grey looked like Primer Paint with clear gloss on it; maybe a younger person's look, but not for me. So that left black as the remaining color

I chose the Shadow Black and I have had black before and when it is clean it looks awesome! So I decided to facilitate keeping it clean and have decided to commit to a paint sealant, Opti-Coat Pro +. I have also started using the 2 bucket rinseless Optimum wash products and they are very good and easy/fast to do.

My Shadow Black with have the black forged wheels, black tint, black leather, and a black custom license plate, - so Quint Black :cool:

With the NB brake calipers my RS will look stunningly awesome!

Good Luck with NB or whatever color you end up choosing.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I did the Tangerine Scream on my ST. And yes it does stand out for all the cops to see... No incognito with that. Got pulled over more than I wanted to. Was on the fence between NB or SG. Not being able to see the NB in person and pondering the "Stand Out" color again, I chose the SG. Plus, it will look cool next to my Magnetic 2015 F-150.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts