Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after a great day at the track, I am hearing this very loud clicking noise. It gets louder and more rattle-y around 2200-2400 rpm. If I give it some heavier load or acceleration the noise gets a bit quieter. It does seem to track with rpm. Engine power seems fine, but I have not floored it after the track day. As I know I am doing a poor job explaining so I have added a video of the sound.

Also, I am not too familiar with engine diagnosis so I apologize for my potential inability to properly describe it.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds like a noisy lifter. What is the condition of the oil? Full? Is the oil pressure good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Oil level is ok, it has 2600 miles and one track day on it, oil pressure is 35psi at startup, slightly warm, 1300rpm.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
This happened to me one time and went away by itself.

Someone posted this before:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If you really feel it’s bad (does sound pretty bad) book an appointment with Ford and get it documented/looked at.

before you go I’d pull ~250mL of oil out to send to black stone labs for analysis. They’ll be able to tell right away if there is some bearing material in there

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Before you go I’d pull ~250mL of oil out to send to black stone labs for analysis. They’ll be able to tell right away if there is some bearing material in there

I agree with this^ It doesn't sound great. If it were mine I'd pull some oil and the filter and open the filter up for a look.The analysis results will give a good indication and give you some independent ammunition to deal with the dealer/Ford if you need it.
Remember the oil pressure isn't a direct read but inferred so it's useless for diagnosis. It sounds like a rod bearing to me. Hope I'm wrong.

Ciao

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Hoping for the best on this.

sounds like two things, the fuel system tick and something else.

This RS has aftermarket engine mounts?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! I put it on jack stands until it was level (measured by putting a level on the bottom of the pinch welds) and let it sit for a few hours. I checked the oil after that and it was maybe 1mm above the minimum line. I added some oil, and will see if that changes anything in the AM. The vehicle is stock except for audio and brake fluid. I had the head gasket replaced under warranty maybe 2 years ago. I really appreciate everyone's help!

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Keep us abreast of the status.

We arm chair mechanics get paid by the hour.

Reactions: Si2RS

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Thanks everyone! I put it on jack stands until it was level (measured by putting a level on the bottom of the pinch welds) and let it sit for a few hours. I checked the oil after that and it was maybe 1mm above the minimum line. I added some oil, and will see if that changes anything in the AM. The vehicle is stock except for audio and brake fluid. I had the head gasket replaced under warranty maybe 2 years ago. I really appreciate everyone's help!
Hmmm, probably a little low for a track day.

Ciao

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lucky phil,

I agree, when I checked it prior to the event (it was about 3/4) so the ground must have not been as level as I assumed 🤒That, or it is burning oil. I hope I just made a mistake on that one.

I have a bit of warranty left, so I am going to try that route. I will let everyone know what happens, and thanks so much for your help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts