Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Seems odd to me we have so many folks going this route than one that will legit fix the pogo and allow for adjustable on demand suspension settings like adjustable coilovers. Yes, it's much easier to install and you don't have to do an alignment... but it causes you to sacrifice the cars handling and behavior.
Read more.

This discussion is controller only vs controller w/ shocks

Controller w/ Tractive shocks greatly enhances the cars handling and behavior

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just got my controller in yesterday and installed it. I have a 2017 with Rev. 0 shocks. Pogo is almost non-existent now, about 98% gone. I still have to get it out on the interstate to really check that though, as that is where it was the most noticeable.

As far as ride stiffness, normal mode does feel slightly softer compared to stock. Sport and Track feel more like stock normal mode. I feel more than anything the sharpness/harshness of the stiff ride has been smoothed out. The difference between the Sport and Track maps show in braking, accel, and turning; Track being a bit more firm with less body roll/pitch compared to Sport. For normal driving they feel close enough to the same. The car also feels more settled on bumpy bends and turns when under power.

Still need to really put it to the test as I have only had it now for a day, but so far the little I have driven with it, coupled with putting the stock rear motor mount back in, the car feels 100% more live-able as my daily.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Seems odd to me we have so many folks going this route than one that will legit fix the pogo and allow for adjustable on demand suspension settings like adjustable coilovers. Yes, it's much easier to install and you don't have to do an alignment... but it causes you to sacrifice the cars handling and behavior.
I think the appeal is the ease of install combined with otherwise a stock vehicle. I am not familiar with any aftermarket setups that do not lower the vehicle. I am also ignorant however of the breadth of possible options, so I am open to learning more. The controller can also be a bridge to eventually getting the Tractive suspension which does all of the above. The loss of car's character with just the controller sounds unappealing however :\

·
Registered
772 Posts
I just got my controller in yesterday and installed it. I have a 2017 with Rev. 0 shocks. Pogo is almost non-existent now, about 98% gone. I still have to get it out on the interstate to really check that though, as that is where it was the most noticeable.

As far as ride stiffness, normal mode does feel slightly softer compared to stock. Sport and Track feel more like stock normal mode. I feel more than anything the sharpness/harshness of the stiff ride has been smoothed out. The difference between the Sport and Track maps show in braking, accel, and turning; Track being a bit more firm with less body roll/pitch compared to Sport. For normal driving they feel close enough to the same. The car also feels more settled on bumpy bends and turns when under power.

Still need to really put it to the test as I have only had it now for a day, but so far the little I have driven with it, coupled with putting the stock rear motor mount back in, the car feels 100% more live-able as my daily.
That's great feedback! Would love to hear your opinion on sport mode and handling in turns.

Reactions: DARTH55

·
Registered
53 Posts
So after having two more weeks with the controller in, I feel like I have some more thoughts on what this is doing for the car. A few notes before breaking down into the different drive modes:

1. At slow speed, say below 40 MPH, the drive modes all feel very close to the same in the normal straight line driving sense. The main differences start to become more noticeable as speed picks up and of course through turns and braking/accel.

2. The suspension settings are tied to the drive mode. I have seen no effect of the switch on the turn signal. It actually can trip up the controller and disable drive mode selection, defaulting you to normal mode. Someone else might have better info on this situation than I do.

3. Switching between drive modes to quickly can also trip up the controller and disable drive mode selection. In these instances where it has happened to me, it usually gave it about 30 seconds or so and then was able to select a drive mode again. This did not require me to stop the car, restart, and have it available again.

Normal Mode - As I stated before, this feels to be a very slightly softer setting than Stock Normal. The main difference is how it deals with the pogo effect. I feel that it is mostly gone, maybe 90%. There is a little still, namely when I finally was able to hit the interstate for a bit. This is also where you best notice the dramatic difference between Stock Normal and Controller Normal. The car is so much more comfortable on these types of undulating roads. As far as body roll in turning and dip under braking/accel, it feels very similar to Stock Normal, though it seems to tighten up a little better at higher speed.

Sport/Track Mode - The differences here show at speed and through bends/turns and braking/accel. Under normal driving, like say my morning drive to work, both modes feel almost identical. Track setting is now 100% drivable in any setting, even on some of the roads that I have been on that would be similar to say British B-Roads. In spirited driving, Sport is much flatter through bends and braking dip is greatly reduced. Through bumpy bends and turns, the car feels more stable and planted, and with this it feels like some of the lift off oversteer or even power oversteer has been dialed back a bit.

Track mode takes this further. The car is just flat, there is no better way to say it. As soon as you dive into a turn, it locks in, stays flat, and zips you out. There is almost no dive at all under hard braking, and none noticeable on hard accel. I can't comment yet on how it is launching the car. One think that struck me was the compliance of the car in Track Mode. In stock form in track mode suspension, I always had to be cautious through bumpy, uneven roads on a turn. I could feel the car come loose at times or unsettle through the bend under throttle. Two particular problem spots in my area in particular have now become non-issues. I can power through the bend and get on the power out of the turn much earlier, the car never unsettling or becoming squirrelly.

I could not be happier with the purchase. The every-day ride is smoother, the harsh edges have been smoothed out. When pushing, the car is flatter and more compliant. Its not to say the car won't bite you in the arse if you over-push, but it is a noticeable and confidence inspiring improvement over an already great handling car. And it makes the car much more live-able as a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts

Which rear motor mount did you have that you took out to replace with the stock unit?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great, thanks for the info. Do you (or did you have) any issues with tramlining/veering steering (some call it torque steer)?
None at all. I could see it happening once you start getting into the 375-400 wtq range since the extra is going to the front, but for stock tune the stock mount is more than fine.

·
Registered
772 Posts
So after having two more weeks with the controller in, I feel like I have some more thoughts on what this is doing for the car. A few notes before breaking down into the different drive modes:

1. At slow speed, say below 40 MPH, the drive modes all feel very close to the same in the normal straight line driving sense. The main differences start to become more noticeable as speed picks up and of course through turns and braking/accel.

2. The suspension settings are tied to the drive mode. I have seen no effect of the switch on the turn signal. It actually can trip up the controller and disable drive mode selection, defaulting you to normal mode. Someone else might have better info on this situation than I do.

3. Switching between drive modes to quickly can also trip up the controller and disable drive mode selection. In these instances where it has happened to me, it usually gave it about 30 seconds or so and then was able to select a drive mode again. This did not require me to stop the car, restart, and have it available again.

Normal Mode - As I stated before, this feels to be a very slightly softer setting than Stock Normal. The main difference is how it deals with the pogo effect. I feel that it is mostly gone, maybe 90%. There is a little still, namely when I finally was able to hit the interstate for a bit. This is also where you best notice the dramatic difference between Stock Normal and Controller Normal. The car is so much more comfortable on these types of undulating roads. As far as body roll in turning and dip under braking/accel, it feels very similar to Stock Normal, though it seems to tighten up a little better at higher speed.

Sport/Track Mode - The differences here show at speed and through bends/turns and braking/accel. Under normal driving, like say my morning drive to work, both modes feel almost identical. Track setting is now 100% drivable in any setting, even on some of the roads that I have been on that would be similar to say British B-Roads. In spirited driving, Sport is much flatter through bends and braking dip is greatly reduced. Through bumpy bends and turns, the car feels more stable and planted, and with this it feels like some of the lift off oversteer or even power oversteer has been dialed back a bit.

Track mode takes this further. The car is just flat, there is no better way to say it. As soon as you dive into a turn, it locks in, stays flat, and zips you out. There is almost no dive at all under hard braking, and none noticeable on hard accel. I can't comment yet on how it is launching the car. One think that struck me was the compliance of the car in Track Mode. In stock form in track mode suspension, I always had to be cautious through bumpy, uneven roads on a turn. I could feel the car come loose at times or unsettle through the bend under throttle. Two particular problem spots in my area in particular have now become non-issues. I can power through the bend and get on the power out of the turn much earlier, the car never unsettling or becoming squirrelly.

I could not be happier with the purchase. The every-day ride is smoother, the harsh edges have been smoothed out. When pushing, the car is flatter and more compliant. Its not to say the car won't bite you in the arse if you over-push, but it is a noticeable and confidence inspiring improvement over an already great handling car. And it makes the car much more live-able as a daily driver.
That's great feedback! Sounds amazing! It's tough to tell these things with so many user reviews. I don't track my car, and some folks do. I'd like to, but at the end of the day it's in a many ways too rich for my blood. So maybe under extreme conditions, the car is worse off with the controller, but sounds like in your case - in daily driving, or even pushing it just a bit in twisties on normal roads - aka not going balls-to-the-wall because public roads, it's actually in every way better. Good food for thought. I had kind of given up on it due to the Tractive-or-bust opinions, but now I might reconsider it. With the winter coming, and roads inevitably getting horrible, a more pleasant highway ride would be welcome

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Glad you like it!

Classic 'Drive mode Selection Unavailable' errors. These have been a 'feature' of the controller on the RS since day one and I'll claim 100% of RS installs suffer from this bug, or whatever it may be. DSC don't care . . .

Good review, all your positive points are ramped up with the Tractive dampers!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got my new to me 17 RS a couple of weeks ago, it's on the rev 0 dampers. Found the ride not to be as bad as it was made out to be in normal and sport, but pogo was bad on certain sections of road and track mode was terrible.

Picked up a used DSC and installed it 2 days ago. I was honestly expecting to be disappointed, but it has made a pretty significant difference. Normal and Sport are quite soft, and track mode is now usable. Pogo seems to be mostly eliminated as well.

Overall I'm pretty impressed.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts