Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth it? I have the 2018 with the revised dampeners w mountune springs. They aren't as bad as they were prior but can still be made better. I want the ride to be sportier but not rattling. Tighter, yet absorbable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an '18 as well, didn't find it to be mind blowing. It's a very noticeable difference, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't change the "character" of the car per se. I have the DSC controller, stock suspension, and 18" wheels with 245/40/18 tires, and it's gotten me to the point where I would call normal mode 'almost' comfortable on terrible NJ roads (not an easy feat), and sport mode is actually useful for spirited driving.

I'm just using the included configuration, there's a bunch of people on here who are into tuning the controller and i'm sure have had much more improvement over the included config.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Enjoy the read:

I ran the DSC controller on stock (rev 0) suspension for a week before putting the Tractive dampers on the car. It definitely will keep the car flatter when driving it, particularly eliminating diving under braking and eliminating some roll when driving the car harder. It was 85% solution for pogo, and the controller helped keep the car in check when unsettled or on sections of road where the car would pogo. Track mode became usable and the car drove like it was on rails, which was nice. When driving you can feel the controller manipulating the shocks, mainly as a result of the slow speed of the valves in the stock dampers. It's doing stuff, but held back because of the stock dampers.

The setup really comes alive with the full DSC + Tractive setup though. The Tractive dampers are in another league compared to the stock stuff. They're expensive as you probably have seen, but the nice part about buying the controller separate is that you can sort of work your way up to the full set or go with the KW DDC if that's more your thing.

Keep an eye out on the DSC Sport facebook for discounts if you want a new box, every once in a while they'll have coupons there if you're not in a rush (esp Black Friday and sometimes big holidays).

·
Registered
772 Posts
Enjoy the read:

I ran the DSC controller on stock (rev 0) suspension for a week before putting the Tractive dampers on the car. It definitely will keep the car flatter when driving it, particularly eliminating diving under braking and eliminating some roll when driving the car harder. It was 85% solution for pogo, and the controller helped keep the car in check when unsettled or on sections of road where the car would pogo. Track mode became usable and the car drove like it was on rails, which was nice. When driving you can feel the controller manipulating the shocks, mainly as a result of the slow speed of the valves in the stock dampers. It's doing stuff, but held back because of the stock dampers.

The setup really comes alive with the full DSC + Tractive setup though. The Tractive dampers are in another league compared to the stock stuff. They're expensive as you probably have seen, but the nice part about buying the controller separate is that you can sort of work your way up to the full set or go with the KW DDC if that's more your thing.

Keep an eye out on the DSC Sport facebook for discounts if you want a new box, every once in a while they'll have coupons there if you're not in a rush (esp Black Friday and sometimes big holidays).
Also on rev0, stock springs. Think I'll give DSC a shot finally. Been eyeing it since it came out. Don't quite have the extra slush for the Tractive though, alas

Reactions: DARTH55

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Also on rev0, stock springs. Think I'll give DSC a shot finally. Been eyeing it since it came out. Don't quite have the extra slush for the Tractive though, alas
Baby steps :). Anything is better than rev0 dampers. I'm keeping this car forever so amortizing the cost of Tractive isn't too bad from that perspective

·
Registered
772 Posts
Baby steps :). Anything is better than rev0 dampers. I'm keeping this car forever so amortizing the cost of Tractive isn't too bad from that perspective
Yeah, they look freaking rad. The fact that so much of their clientele have cars far more expensive than ours is also reassuring. I wanna start with the controller, and then move onto the dampers eventually. You know if they ever run deals? I feel like there used to be a forum discount. Not sure anymore, been a while.

I've thought of doing rev2 dampers to start due to price and folks saying those are in fact better, but it's not ideal. Seems like if I want to go with Tractive eventually, I'd be just wasting my money.

·
Registered
220 Posts

Might sell mine if you're interested.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Might sell mine if you're interested.
Any reason why? I see folks touting it like a second coming, but rarely opinions from the detractors

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Depends what you want: OP " I want the ride to be sportier but not rattling. Tighter, yet absorbable."

DSC on OP's setup = not rattling and absorbable. NOT sportier and tighter. You lose turn in support.

Comfy in a straight line, disappointing when driving 'spirited'.

·
Registered
863 Posts
You give something to get something.
I prefer to sacrifice comfort but have safety and stability.

You never know when something shows up in front of you and you need to swerve.
This is why you need the manual stated tire pressures on the road and not the 'comfortable' ones.
More importantly the car needs to be responsive and turn properly whilst maintaining good grip on both front and, more importantly, the rear under braking.

Comfort, absorbable and sporty are on the opposite sides of the spectrum.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
With the DSC alone you'll get some more comfort and the car will drive flatter (most noticeably you'll lose the dive on braking). It also controls pogo really well. The DSC controller isn't transformative or magic by itself due to the limitations on the stock dampers, but you will be able to configure Normal, Sport, and Tractive to different parameters. OP needs good coilovers to get closer to what he wants.

The full Tractive + DSC gives you comfort and sportiness, but that's $6k for parts and between $500 and $1k for install/setup/(real) alignment. My normal mode is way too soft for canyon carving, when following some buds on their Ducatis the car was rather squirrely. Sport worked great, and my Track setting would likely have been too stiff for crappy Cali roads. The downside with the full setup is that you also have to be comfortable with diagnostics, playing beta tester, and tweaking suspension settings, but on the DSC + Tractive thread we've figured out most of the show-stopping issues.

·
Registered
772 Posts
So it sounds like in order for the car to stay sporty, but also become more comfortable, you're really looking at the full setup as the only choice. Is that about right? I have no ability to test the controller itself, but the way the car handles is something I absolutely adore. I would hate to lose that

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
So it sounds like in order for the car to stay sporty, but also become more comfortable, you're really looking at the full setup as the only choice. Is that about right? I have no ability to test the controller itself, but the way the car handles is something I absolutely adore. I would hate to lose that
You could go with updating the dampers in the front and rear to the newest OEM versions, but if you're going to go through the effort of tearing things out I would consider getting coilovers. Compare reviews of the MY2018 cars vs MY2016 as a datapoint for changing your dampers to the newest OEM ones, as it will be half price or less than a quality coilover set.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Correct, the DSC compromises 'sporty', the OE shocks do not react quick enough to see the benefits of the DSC

Selectable, and programmable, drive modes are a feature of the full DSC/Tractive install. If you don't want this feature there are many other options . . .

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
I think someone is selling their setup at half the cost:

·
Premium Member
3,469 Posts
If Street class in Autocross allowed for the DSC outside Super Street I would be all over one of these kits. But as of now they have not decided to open it to other street classes.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Correct, the DSC compromises 'sporty', the OE shocks do not react quick enough to see the benefits of the DSC

Selectable, and programmable, drive modes are a feature of the full DSC/Tractive install. If you don't want this feature there are many other options . . .
Gotcha. Yeah, I really mostly want a "highway" or "roaming about town with my mother in the car" mode in addition to the existing modes. Being in the North it also cannot have any drop, and I feel like any aftermarket kit will have a drop. The car is already pretty low, any lower and I'll get stuck on any amount of snow. Tractive seems to - in their own words - provide that ability to have both a sporty mode that's a bit more composed than stock, and a normal mode for simple daily driving - all selectable via stock interaction.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Gotcha. Yeah, I really mostly want a "highway" or "roaming about town with my mother in the car" mode in addition to the existing modes. Being in the North it also cannot have any drop, and I feel like any aftermarket kit will have a drop. The car is already pretty low, any lower and I'll get stuck on any amount of snow. Tractive seems to - in their own words - provide that ability to have both a sporty mode that's a bit more composed than stock, and a normal mode for simple daily driving - all selectable via stock interaction.
Sounds like you'd be happier with the full kit and not just the controller.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Seems odd to me we have so many folks going this route than one that will legit fix the pogo and allow for adjustable on demand suspension settings like adjustable coilovers. Yes, it's much easier to install and you don't have to do an alignment... but it causes you to sacrifice the cars handling and behavior.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Start with the DSC and get the Tractive later . . .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts