Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*FIXED*

Hi Everyone,

I need help, I have been trouble shooting this issue ever since I got my build together. The car idles super weird and reads 20+ AFRs I really am unsure if this is a fake reading or if its actually running that lean. I have a hard time believing its actually in the 20s. I have attached a link to my log, the car is tuned so it has to be hardware related. I have the HKS BOV which maybe is causing problems I am not sure. I have 2.0 block with 2.3 internals Manley Extreme Duty Pistons, Manley H beam rods, Massive Keyed Crank & Gear, ARP Head & Main Studs, King Rod & Main Bearings, Massive BSD & Oil Baffle, Head decked ect... full bolt ons UPR catch can breather plates. I am not sure what is wrong possibly bad injectors or a vacuum leak.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lXlwyJ2rfzykOyiCYieC3A_PwWDEeoTmDRKahjv0u7g/edit?usp=sharing

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts

Sorry I can't help with diagnosing the issue, as your car has so many things done to it that it'll be really hard to narrow down what it is.

If you have erratic idling, chances are a vacuum leak could be the culprit. Nothing out of the ordinary audio-wise coming from engine bay area while standing there with the hood up?

I can help by pointing out the amazing site https://datazap.me, which is free to use and it allows one to put those CSV data logs to nice visual representations over time, so check out the CSV you linked to above

This way you can overlay the various data points and look for clues.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I need help, I have been trouble shooting this issue ever since I got my build together. The car idles super weird and reads 20+ AFRs I really am unsure if this is a fake reading or if its actually running that lean. I have a hard time believing its actually in the 20s. I have attached a link to my log, the car is tuned so it has to be hardware related. I have the HKS BOV which maybe is causing problems I am not sure. I have 2.0 block with 2.3 internals Manley Extreme Duty Pistons, Manley H beam rods, Massive Keyed Crank & Gear, ARP Head & Main Studs, King Rod & Main Bearings, Massive BSD & Oil Baffle, Head decked ect... full bolt ons UPR catch can breather plates. I am not sure what is wrong possibly bad injectors or a vacuum leak.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lXlwyJ2rfzykOyiCYieC3A_PwWDEeoTmDRKahjv0u7g/edit?usp=sharing
Can you shoot a quick video of the car idling? Does it stumble at idle and attempt to stall? If you rev the engine, does it stumble during this too?

What is your tuner saying in this? If you're running the same DI injectors you were running before, there shouldn't be an isssue. It didn't see port injectors listed in your build, but they shouldn't come into the idle portion of the map.

BTW, I free'd up some space in my mailbox so if you try to PM now, it should go through.

·
Registered
943 Posts
You mentioned an HKS BOV. Did you remember to block off the vacuum line going from the BOV solenoid on the cam cover to where the factory factory BOV is?

How are you supplying vacuum to the HKS BOV? The best way is to use a boost reference adapter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Sorry I can't help with diagnosing the issue, as your car has so many things done to it that it'll be really hard to narrow down what it is.

If you have erratic idling, chances are a vacuum leak could be the culprit. Nothing out of the ordinary audio-wise coming from engine bay area while standing there with the hood up?

I can help by pointing out the amazing site https://datazap.me, which is free to use and it allows one to put those CSV data logs to nice visual representations over time, so check out the CSV you linked to above

This way you can overlay the various data points and look for clues.
This is helpful! I will take a bigger dive when I get home from work today. Nothing to crazy happening under the hood I will grab a video of this aswell.

Can you shoot a quick video of the car idling? Does it stumble at idle and attempt to stall? If you rev the engine, does it stumble during this too?

What is your tuner saying in this? If you're running the same DI injectors you were running before, there shouldn't be an isssue. It didn't see port injectors listed in your build, but they shouldn't come into the idle portion of the map.

BTW, I free'd up some space in my mailbox so if you try to PM now, it should go through.
I will indeed upload a video as soon as I get home. It stumbles a little it has never stalled but you can tell its not happy, when you first start it everything seems good. Once I let it get a little warmer it starts to become un happy it will take a little dip from 1200 RPM and go really rich and than lean back out. Very strange, I actually have a couple AEM gauge, AFR, Boost PSI i have been meaning to install hoping to get more accurate readings. I will do that this weekend if time permits

You mentioned an HKS BOV. Did you remember to block off the vacuum line going from the BOV solenoid on the cam cover to where the factory factory BOV is?

How are you supplying vacuum to the HKS BOV? The best way is to use a boost reference adapter.

I am using this https://cp-e.com/shop/product/ford-focus-rs-exhale-hks-bov-kit/ hmm I do not think I blocked off the vacuum line on the cam cover I need to check this out. I know its run to something but I didnt just cap it off, I forgot what its running to.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yeah man. Check the throttle body and intake manifold spacer. Were washers supplied with the longer bolts for the manifold spacer? If they're the same size as the metal insert that's pressed into the manifold, that will eventually cause a problem. It's hard to tell from the angle of your video, but it's something else to check.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts