Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking in here from the Pacific Northwest and gathering data. Previously owned a heavily modified Focus SVT. Now own a mildly modified Fiesta ST.

Plan: Add a Focus RS to my garage in the next year or two. That, if it actually occurs, will remain largely unmolested -- certainly compared to what's gone on before.

In the meantime, lurking.

I'm an old dude. I only have so many rounds of this fun to work through. This likely to be more last hurrah before chronic plug-in electric settles in.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sounds like a fellow OG Focus fan :cool:

Welcome! Agreed @last hurrah.

Were/are you on the FJ forums?
Pls feel free to share more info about your SVT and ST!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a fellow OG Focus fan :cool:

Welcome! Agreed @last hurrah.

Were/are you on the FJ forums?
Pls feel free to share more info about your SVT and ST!
I was. My login there: mysvtftoy

I had an SVT Focus with a Powerworks Supercharger, cage, KW3 coilovers, Randy tune, racing seats, and a black hole's worth of other stuff.

·
Registered
418 Posts
WOW! Blast from the past! I didn't even know FJ was still around!! Forgot all about that place!! I was one of the very first few members on there back in the day. My name was FocusedOne. Just logged in for the first time since like 2002 and had a bunch of messages in my inbox from over the years from other members asking questions about my car HA!

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's funny about being an old dude. I told the wife it's probably the RS, then some overpowered boat of a car, sitting on a pillow, peeking over the dash board, 30 mph in the passing lane, blue haired road hazard until I can't see or hear and they take my license, and then the nursing home. Last hurrah. I plan on making the most of my hurrah.

·
Registered
969 Posts
That's funny about being an old dude. I told the wife it's probably the RS, then some overpowered boat of a car, sitting on a pillow, peeking over the dash board, 30 mph in the passing lane, blue haired road hazard until I can't see or hear and they take my license, and then the nursing home. Last hurrah. I plan on making the most of my hurrah.
Me too!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I'm an old dude. I only have so many rounds of this fun to work through. This likely to be more last hurrah before chronic plug-in electric settles in.
Let's hope the RS is an extremely durable car, then!

Welcome.

Jim

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let's hope the RS is an extremely durable car, then!

Welcome.

Jim
Yeah. It better. But I telecommute and do have a 2014 Fiesta ST and 2004 Audi S4 Avant in the garage as well, so hopefully the workload can stretch out -- again, assuming an RS lands here. Otherwise, straight from what I've got to a future of self-driving, plug-in hybrids, endless yard work, occasional planting, increasingly selective travel, and pug meetups. Hah.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Checking in here from the Pacific Northwest and gathering data. Previously owned a heavily modified Focus SVT. Now own a mildly modified Fiesta ST.

Plan: Add a Focus RS to my garage in the next year or two. That, if it actually occurs, will remain largely unmolested -- certainly compared to what's gone on before.

In the meantime, lurking.

meFiSTo,

Ha Ha "old" is only relative to what you do and how you feel. I am one of the 1.75 percenters and I am not too old to enjoy my RS.

When you get your RS in the future, enjoy it ;0

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I have (somewhat sadly) come to my senses. While this is going to be an awe inspiring car, it's really way beyond what I'll ever need. The little car I have will be plenty of fun for the occasional track day and my 04 Audi S4 Avant pretty much does anything I'd do with the Focus RS (thinking rationally). And it has fewer than 54,000 miles on it.

While it's an engineering work of art, the RS is truly just overkill for me. It'll make more sense to replace my wife's 2000 Jeep GC Limited when it dies (it only has 128,000 on the clock itself) with a CR-V or some such. Then, a number of years out, perhaps a sporty RWD budget roadster to replace my German wagon as it ages. Hard to stay what'll be out there. I think my window for an RS has realistically closed.

I envy you kids (without regard to chronological age) and encourage you to use your RS cars as they are meant to be used (but in appropriate settings).

·
Super Moderator
15,358 Posts
Well, I have (somewhat sadly) come to my senses. While this is going to be an awe inspiring car, it's really way beyond what I'll ever need. The little car I have will be plenty of fun for the occasional track day and my 04 Audi S4 Avant pretty much does anything I'd do with the Focus RS (thinking rationally). And it has fewer than 54,000 miles on it.

While it's an engineering work of art, the RS is truly just overkill for me. It'll make more sense to replace my wife's 2000 Jeep GC Limited when it dies (it only has 128,000 on the clock itself) with a CR-V or some such. Then, a number of years out, perhaps a sporty RWD budget roadster to replace my German wagon as it ages. Hard to stay what'll be out there. I think my window for an RS has realistically closed.

I envy you kids (without regard to chronological age) and encourage you to use your RS cars as they are meant to be used (but in appropriate settings).
I'm truly saddened by your decision, yet I also respect it. Safe travels and fast lap times.

·
Registered
18 Posts

First of all age is just a number its all in your head. Second off the audi is a beautiful car but we all know that the RS is going to fly below the radar and make you the most popular person in your friend group.

3rd off Your wife obviously needs to be educated on the benefits of having a car that has drift mode yet can haul the groceries + kids around in style. Also it is very good for the environment (it has eco on its engine after all).

The appropriate settings for this car is enjoy it like a fine wine all the time.

:)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I
Well, I have....come to my senses. ....The little car I have will be plenty of fun for the occasional track day and my 04 Audi S4 Avant pretty much does anything I'd do with the Focus RS (thinking rationally).
Now see, that's where you made your mistake. "Thinking rationally" is not going to get you where you want to be. I'd try to talking you into changing your mind, but you've got your pocket rocket Fiesta to back you up. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm truly saddened by your decision, yet I also respect it. Safe travels and fast lap times.
Thanks. I have mixed feelings. I thought FOR SURE that I wanted this car, but truthfully, I'm more of a momentum car guy at the track. I like pushing my slow car to it's performance limit. I can get in plenty of trouble doing just that, but the margin of error is a little wider with my kind of car. A car like the RS is just going to all kinds fast. For me, managing that would be more stressful than fun. Having said that, after doing the STOA thing in Utah in April, the Focus ST is a MUCH better car for track use than my Fiesta ST (IMHO), but, be that as it may, I do love my little car. And, for visiting the local tracks 2 or 3 times a year, it'll be plenty of fun. It is unquestionably a GREAT car around town.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks. I have mixed feelings. I thought FOR SURE that I wanted this car, but truthfully, I'm more of a momentum car guy at the track. I like pushing my slow car to it's performance limit. I can get in plenty of trouble doing just that, but the margin of error is a little wider with my kind of car. A car like the RS is just going to all kinds fast. For me, managing that would be more stressful than fun. Having said that, after doing the STOA thing in Utah in April, the Focus ST is a MUCH better car for track use than my Fiesta ST (IMHO), but, be that as it may, I do love my little car. And, for visiting the local tracks 2 or 3 times a year, it'll be plenty of fun. It is unquestionably a GREAT car around town.

I was actually thinking about going with a Focus or Fiesta ST at first but then I realized for a practical daily driver in Canada it needed to be awd to go skiing in the mountains etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First of all age is just a number its all in your head. Second off the audi is a beautiful car but we all know that the RS is going to fly below the radar and make you the most popular person in your friend group.

3rd off Your wife obviously needs to be educated on the benefits of having a car that has drift mode yet can haul the groceries + kids around in style. Also it is very good for the environment (it has eco on its engine after all).

The appropriate settings for this car is enjoy it like a fine wine all the time.

:)
Hah. Hmm, my wife might well be persuaded by the drift-mode argument. Or not. She already states openly that the Audi is too low (and our particular model is pretty low...although it was even lower when the KWV3 suspension was in there...back to stock now). We doh't have to worry about styling with kids. Ours only ios attending university across the lake and already is scolding me about having too many cars. When I mentioned this RS car as a possibility, she said simply, this: "Why do you need another car?" Hah. She clearly did not inherit any element of the motorsports addiction genetics. She is happily driving her late grandmother's (very reliable, slightly dented) frost green 2000 Toyota Avalon LS.

I do think the RS car will be (mostly) enjoyable in every kind of driving setting, but it will be when pressed to its limits that it will be nearly incomparable- -- close to supercar level of performance. And personally, I think (for a normal person like me) that is either in a closed-course HPDE environment, or perhaps off-road in a rally setting (but truly using this for rally fun would suggest a considerable amount of a safety modifications...$$$$$$).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now see, that's where you made your mistake. "Thinking rationally" is not going to get you where you want to be. I'd try to talking you into changing your mind, but you've got your pocket rocket Fiesta to back you up. You'll be fine.
I know. It was quite a jarring return to planet earth. And yes, the little car will keep me happy for what I want I'm sure. I will not be as fast as some other cars (cars in effect a class above mine), but it'll be fun harassing Elise and Cayman drivers (as it always has been), when then are not willing to exact every bit from their cars. They hate me and I am all the happier for it. I will have to leave harassing STi's and Carrera GTs to your kids.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was actually thinking about going with a Focus or Fiesta ST at first but then I realized for a practical daily driver in Canada it needed to be awd to go skiing in the mountains etc.
If you can rationally justify this car, I'm SURE you will love it every second you have it. For me, out there in the future, a next generation Miata MX5 or whatever is equivalently available will probably be where I land (in a range of 5 to 10 years out). It'll never land at the track. My trusty Fiesta will the car that I rely upon for that. This winter, it's getting a Mishimoto oil cooler and a Mishimoto radiator upgrade to help make sure it lasts. Hah.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, as it turns out, I did get that RS. Here's a pic from the lot taken this afternoon.

IMG_4373.JPG

The dealer, Bill Pierre Ford in Seattle, has apparently been collecting them for some time. They have 20 or so still on-hand. They had as many as 50 at one point.

Mine came with the RS2 package and a moon roof.

I've kept my '14 Fiesta ST. It just got the MRX package.

Info about that car here: Stealthy Frankenfiesta

I reckon I'll be poking around here more, but this car is not likely to go to the track for awhile. Certainly not this season. Don't know if it ever will. I traded my 2004 S4 Avant. I'll miss that thing. Silky smooth V8, but this car is really more my style of vehicle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
13 Participants
meFiSTo
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing