1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
376 Posts
Saw this at the OC show. One thing I noticed on there was the crank position sensor had some adjustment to it. On old Mazda engines. This meant that timing could be be advanced a degree or so independently of the ECU. There was a big debate about the actual effectiveness of this due to the ECU being able to retard timing as it pleases. Wonder if it will be the same for this 2.3. 20151017_165930.jpg

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd sure love to see a cut-away of the RS motor and turbo for comparison, to see if (other than the hotter cams) we could see any visible differences. I particularly would like to see some closeups of the Cosworth head, port cross-sections, etc. I am curious if there are any porting opportunities and if there is sufficient material to work with.

I know the exhaust manifold in these Mustang shots has been painted, but the casting quality is excellent.

For the above picture, the crank position sensor has a small amount of adjustment for final calibration on the line to deal with variances in the crank keyway (if it has one), the toothed wheel itself and some tiny variances in the crank machining, rod length, etc.

I think you could use it to trick the ECU on timing but am not sure what the gain would be - it's such a finely tuned combo and I'm not sure a dyno would have fine enough repeatability to be able to prove any change in power.

Just my .02.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Slider
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing