Ford Focus RS Forum banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
I decided to go to mountune in Carson, Ca and pick up the part myself since I hate waiting for my packages lol.
I just installed the Mountune intake duct with high flow induction hose and I can hear the psssst sound better with the hood liner off. It does sound really good and it's just below the volume I would like it to be. I think if I wanted it really loud I would have to go with more modding and I'm not really into heavy mods since I would still like to keep my cars warranty.

The set up I now have is Mountune intake duct with the high flow induction hose with the AEM Dryflow filter without the hood liner. I do not have that awful howling noise of the turbo or whatever makes that noise. I talked to one of the guys at mountune and he says that the filter alone will make that noise. I don't know if that's true but with the AEM filter I don't have that howling noise which is a relief.

What I did notice is that my exhaust pops even in normal mode with moderate throttle. Not the distinct gunshot noise when I'm in sport mode but a lower sounding pop which is pleasant to my ears.

The install took about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just be mindful the engine is on soft rubber mounts that allow it to move (the intake hose is mounted to the motor). The airbox is mounted to the chassis on rubber mounts with very little play. Removing the accordion hose with a solid silicone hose can break the airbox mounts unless you're running without the airbox bottom or have uprated motor mounts.

While I haven't seen it as an issue...it's a consideration I have.
Thanks for the info. It seems though that the silicon duct to the airbox does have a little give. Obviously not as much as the stock accordion hose but I don't push my car on a track or even on the road so I think I'll be ok.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't think you'll notice any change in sound from the piping. Just get the silicon elbow to replace the ribbed flex elbow on the intake and an open ended filter. Then you'll hear the BPV venting just fine (I heard mine and haven't touched the heat shield). Next option is to get a BPV like the boompa. It's a much higher quality part than the stock BPV, and you can easily hear it venting, and get a really nice PSSSH releasing full boost. I really like mine.
Do you have the boompa on full recirc? or 50/50?

I had a Mitsubishi Ralliart before and I couldn't vent to air with MAF sensor on the intake. Also I didn't like the turbo flutter at all with my HKS SSQV. I ended up throwing that BOV away lol

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Do you have the boompa on full recirc? or 50/50?

I had a Mitsubishi Ralliart before and I couldn't vent to air with MAF sensor on the intake. Also I didn't like the turbo flutter at all with my HKS SSQV. I ended up throwing that BOV away lol
They only have 2 options, VTA or BPV. I went with the BPV since VTA are too loud for me.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I removed mine. Decided I didn't like the injector clatter and promptly put it back on. When summer rolls back around I will rethink a solution as I too think it might benefit without it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If anyone is wondering, I have the hood liner off and installed the green filter and the bpv can be heard really well. So much so that I don't think I need the bov anymore. Also got the muffler bypass and the car sounds like it was supposed to sound. Awesome.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Wait till you put a BOV on it. It's hilariously loud.

If anyone is wondering, I have the hood liner off and installed the green filter and the bpv can be heard really well. So much so that I don't think I need the bov anymore. Also got the muffler bypass and the car sounds like it was supposed to sound. Awesome.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Left my garage door(at my country home) open by mistake for just couple of hours. A squirrel destroyed my underhood pad...In a week my $105 Canadian replacement will arrive as like other owners I find the engine noise irritating 2017 Focus Rs Black

Attachments

·
Registered
915 Posts
Left my garage door(at my country home) open by mistake for just couple of hours. A squirrel destroyed my underhood pad...In a week my $105 Canadian replacement will arrive as like other owners I find the engine noise irritating 2017 Focus Rs Black
What in the world?! Did it explode under there?! Haha! What is all that stuff? Building a nest?

·
Registered
11 Posts
What in the world?! Did it explode under there?! Haha! What is all that stuff? Building a nest?
It broke my heart as I try to keep my RS spotless.The pile is all parts of the underhood pad ripped up by sharp claws.
As I have a "snow race track" to use drift mode on snow they would have had one heck of a ride

Attachments

121 - 133 of 133 Posts