Ford Focus RS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not very noticeable but I think I am starting to get a little discoloration above the coolant tank... barely. Not concerned because if it ever got bad and bothered me (it likely won't bother me) I could always put the insulation back on. I'll post in a few more months to see if its changed much for those who care.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not very noticeable but I think I am starting to get a little discoloration above the coolant tank... barely. Not concerned because if it ever got bad and bothered me (it likely won't bother me) I could always put the insulation back on. I'll post in a few more months to see if its changed much for those who care.

Awesome that would be great. It looks like uou have the green filter is that right? Im guessing you like the sound with the filter and the liner off?

Im getting my AEM filter tomorrow and Ill post how it was after I install it without the liner.

·
5,629 Posts
Wow, @MK.03.RS
Looks like alien ship in the engine bay...
Nice!

·
5,629 Posts
@MK.03.RS,

What blue air intake is that?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Awesome that would be great. It looks like uou have the green filter is that right? Im guessing you like the sound with the filter and the liner off?

Im getting my AEM filter tomorrow and Ill post how it was after I install it without the liner.
I love the sound! Can't sneak up on anyone if I am accelerating even in the slightest... granted it doesn't look like the Type R, but the RS isn't even close to looking like a sleeper, so I'm OK with it.

Reactions: skym0903

·
Registered
128 Posts
I love the sound! Can't sneak up on anyone if I am accelerating even in the slightest... granted it doesn't look like the Type R, but the RS isn't even close to looking like a sleeper, so I'm OK with it.
I just installed the AEM filter but the sound difference is not noticeable even with the hood liner off. But there's something that I notice is that the exhaust seemed to be louder. Does anyone feel the same way?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I just installed the AEM filter but the sound difference is not noticeable even with the hood liner off. But there's something that I notice is that the exhaust seemed to be louder. Does anyone feel the same way?
If by exhaust you mean jet engine intake suction from the front yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
If by exhaust you mean jet engine intake suction from the front yes

Hm.... its not from the front. I feel like its from the back.

When I had the stock filter it actually made the jet engine intake sound louder than the AEM filter. The stock made that noise at about 2k-2.5k and up. With the AEM filter all I get is a loud exhaust noise...

Its so weird... I know what a aftermarket filter sounds like since I had them in the past but the AEM doesnt have that jet engine noise(which Im not complaining about, I dont like that noise). It just made all the noise it makes slightly louder including the exhaust. So weird.

·
Registered
461 Posts
For what little it's worth. I just put vents on my hood last week. Mostly for aesthetics, but I did take temp readings after a 2 hour drive.

Maxton Design Hood Vents by Aaron Frost, on Flickr

Maxton Design Hood Vents by Aaron Frost, on Flickr

Temperature Readings by Aaron Frost, on Flickr

And regarding water in the engine bay. It rained pretty hard last week while the car was sitting, and while I drove it. Very little actually got in. I have a closed airbox, so I'm not particularly concerned about it.
After reading every post throughout this thread, I have to say this looks like the best way to go. Retain the Hood Liner and just poke holes through it with Vents. It looks cool and keeps it cool.

Total win I think.

·
Registered
128 Posts
After reading every post throughout this thread, I have to say this looks like the best way to go. Retain the Hood Liner and just poke holes through it with Vents. It looks cool and keeps it cool.

Total win I think.
It does look cool but not everyone is that brave lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok I've decide to keep the hood liner on since I don't like that darth vader noise coming from the engine bay. I miss the hissing noise when I let off the gas though... Is there any way to enhance that sound without installing BOV?

I'm going to keep the hood liner on and install a mountune high flow induction kit minus the filter and keep the AEM filter to see if I like the noise.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Ok I've decide to keep the hood liner on since I don't like that darth vader noise coming from the engine bay. I miss the hissing noise when I let off the gas though... Is there any way to enhance that sound without installing BOV?

I'm going to keep the hood liner on and install a mountune high flow induction kit minus the filter and keep the AEM filter to see if I like the noise.
Uprated BPV

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

I don't think you'll notice any change in sound from the piping. Just get the silicon elbow to replace the ribbed flex elbow on the intake and an open ended filter. Then you'll hear the BPV venting just fine (I heard mine and haven't touched the heat shield). Next option is to get a BPV like the boompa. It's a much higher quality part than the stock BPV, and you can easily hear it venting, and get a really nice PSSSH releasing full boost. I really like mine.

Reactions: skym0903

·
Registered
722 Posts
I don't think you'll notice any change in sound from the piping. Just get the silicon elbow to replace the ribbed flex elbow on the intake and an open ended filter. Then you'll hear the BPV venting just fine (I heard mine and haven't touched the heat shield). Next option is to get a BPV like the boompa. It's a much higher quality part than the stock BPV, and you can easily hear it venting, and get a really nice PSSSH releasing full boost. I really like mine.
Just be mindful the engine is on soft rubber mounts that allow it to move (the intake hose is mounted to the motor). The airbox is mounted to the chassis on rubber mounts with very little play. Removing the accordion hose with a solid silicone hose can break the airbox mounts unless you're running without the airbox bottom or have uprated motor mounts.

While I haven't seen it as an issue...it's a consideration I have.

101 - 120 of 133 Posts