Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Detailed my RS this weekend and I almost fainted when I saw this.

The cracks are on the inside of the light assembly. My car sleeps in the garage at all times and is only out when I go to work. After posting this, I will be heading out to the dealership to see what they can do. My RS doesn't even have 20k miles. Anybody here had this experience before?

Thank you!

·
Registered
886 Posts
That’s the hard coat which is applied in a secondary operation. That lens ain’t cracked easily sanded and polished back then apply a new hard coat.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
240 Posts
It's a fairly common (and annoying) issue since "they" changed from glass to plastic headlight assemblies. There are loads of kits out there to address the hazing and (in your case) cracking of the top coat. I think that top layer also includes UV protection. Those kits basically include the parts to do what @Shimmer suggested.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yea; what they said.

Looks like a less serious case of the same **** I had on my '13 ST after sitting out in the sun for 7 years. :( As bad as mine was I priced out new HL assemblies at my dealer; $257 for the R and $214 for the L (no idea what the price differential was for). Checked on E Bay and located a "pair" of new "imported" assemblies for $115. Guess which ones I bought? Swapping over the bulbs and what not was pretty easy and the new assemblies worked and looked great! Anyway that might be an alternative for you if you're as allergic to polishing stuff as I am. :LOL: Good luck; either way!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so......
should I be looking for replacement headlight??? lol.
Talked to the dealership today and gave me an appointment to see if they can replace them under the warranty since I bought it there (the car doesn't even have 20k miles on it). Doesn't hurt to try. I'll keep you posted on their findings.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I’ll take your hard coat cracked ones lmk. 😉🥳

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2016. Asked the dealer and they said no warranty replacement as it was "Environmental" damage. I have an extended Ford Premium Plus warranty too. So, some 400/1000/2500 grit water sanding and then some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and they are better. I then covered them with a Lamin-X headlight cover.

Not too shabby. :)

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Last I looked the headlights for the RS if you wanted to replace them are about $1,380/side from the dealer. My right side started this recently too.

·
Premium Member
6,026 Posts
I had the same issue with my old cars. It happens on plastic headlamp housing.

Since my Evo IX, I PPF them the first weeks of owning them to protect them.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Hello everyone!

Detailed my RS this weekend and I almost fainted when I saw this.
View attachment 352819 View attachment 352820

The cracks are on the inside of the light assembly. My car sleeps in the garage at all times and is only out when I go to work. After posting this, I will be heading out to the dealership to see what they can do. My RS doesn't even have 20k miles. Anybody here had this experience before?

Thank you!
mine are cracked too, only replaced within the 3 yr warranty, not covered under ext 5 yr :-(

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
It's called crazing and yes you can cut and polish it out. I've done it many times on aircraft wing tip nav light covers over the years. Why it's not covered by warranty is beyond me, even the dealer cut and polishing it out should be under warranty.
Here's what we used on jets. There are other options for cars headlights

Ciao

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
It's called crazing and yes you can cut and polish it out. I've done it many times on aircraft wing tip nav light covers over the years. Why it's not covered by warranty is beyond me, even the dealer cut and polishing it out should be under warranty.
Here's what we used on jets. There are other options for cars headlights

Ciao
Thats reasonably priced too Phil....

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Thats reasonably priced too Phil....
There a cheaper option there but when you consider a kit will do quite a lot of headlights I guess it's not totally outrageous compared to a replacement head light. Personally I'd be taking on the "not covered by warranty" rubbish if mine were like that, but then again I've got the lowest mileage RS in the world thats never even seen a wet road LOL.

Ciao

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
There a cheaper option there but when you consider a kit will do quite a lot of headlights I guess it's not totally outrageous compared to a replacement head light. Personally I'd be taking on the "not covered by warranty" rubbish if mine were like that, but then again I've got the lowest mileage RS in the world thats never even seen a wet road LOL.

Ciao
How many k's are on yours?
I don't drive mine in the rain/when it's wet, either!

Reactions: GmpaJimj

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Being in Melbourne, it must mean you never drive it, always shīt weather down there!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts