Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

does anyone have any clue how the **** this can happen? Is the headlight tinted / clearcoated from the factory? Or was my light tempered with by the previous owner maybe?

A bit of film came off the car when washing it, I'm guessing that there must have been a stonechip or something on the headlight and when I went over it with the washer it just flaked off.

Can this be repaired? Can I sand down the light and clearcoat it or is this some kind of film that's on the car from the factory and can be replaced?

The light looks pretty blurry underneath

·
Registered
763 Posts
Plastic is soft so they hard coat it with a baked on scratch resistant clear

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've seen that happen on older cars, much older cars, but not on anything within 5 years. Maybe a rock chipped it pretty bad and its started to peel off? Bummer man

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Shimmer

So technically speaking peeling off the whole thing and sanding, clearcoating it should technically have the same effect once it's done. Then maybe put a clear PPF on just for good measure

@SVTbuckeye11

I have never seen this happen, which is why i was so surprised, but yeah I'm pretty sure this started with a chip :(

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have an older Mazda that has a pretty deep cut from a rock in one of the headlights. It looks probably as deep or deeper than this but is narrower and doesn't affect the light output so I've left it alone. It's been like this for more than 10 years and it doesn't bother me enough to replace the headlight. On the RS it would be a very expensive proposition - I believe a new assembly costs more than $500 for the regular Focus, the RS is probably double that.

·
Registered
763 Posts
@Shimmer

So technically speaking peeling off the whole thing and sanding, clearcoating it should technically have the same effect once it's done. Then maybe put a clear PPF on just for good measure

@SVTbuckeye11

I have never seen this happen, which is why i was so surprised, but yeah I'm pretty sure this started with a chip :(
The manufacturer of the lights puts into an oven at controlled temps. Option now is sand off and polish and cover with ppf. New ones are 900!😳

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah not gonna buy a new one for sure, they are ridiculously expensive. I've changed the rear lights of my GT86 from clear to red and clearcoated them and they turned out perfect so if that could work here as well (which I'd kinda assume) than that will be the way to go I think as I'm pretty sure it will just flake off more and more if I leave it like that. Annoying as ****

1 - 7 of 7 Posts