Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the group.

Looking at a 2016 RS with only 10k miles on it. No mods, honestly looks like somebody bought it as a second car and barely drove it. In other words, like new. However my research has found that the head gasket was NOT replaced under the recall. Yet it was built during THAT time. The previous owner bought the car and traded the car into the same dealership prior to the end of May. Unfortunately nobody checked to see if the recall was satisfied until after May 31st. I told them they needed to test the compression and change the head gasket, but after the pressure test the service manager states that the test came back within specs and Ford will no longer cover the recall. In other words they won't replace the head gasket. So the question is, would you still buy the car knowing this is a question of not if but when. The powertrain warranty would cover any issues up until 5 years/60k miles (which ever is less) or would you pass on this car and try to find another one.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Absolutely do not buy that car. You could try reaching out to ford corporate to see if they would allow the dealer to still do it under the recall. If not, keep looking. You will have problems, even if they aren't noticeable now.

·
Registered
362 Posts
New to the group.

Looking at a 2016 RS with only 10k miles on it. No mods, honestly looks like somebody bought it as a second car and barely drove it. In other words, like new. However my research has found that the head gasket was NOT replaced under the recall. Yet it was built during THAT time. The previous owner bought the car and traded the car into the same dealership prior to the end of May. Unfortunately nobody checked to see if the recall was satisfied until after May 31st. I told them they needed to test the compression and change the head gasket, but after the pressure test the service manager states that the test came back within specs and Ford will no longer cover the recall. In other words they won't replace the head gasket. So the question is, would you still buy the car knowing this is a question of not if but when. The powertrain warranty would cover any issues up until 5 years/60k miles (which ever is less) or would you pass on this car and try to find another one.

Thoughts?
Even though it is pass the date that Ford specifies that you need to do it with in said dates, If the dealer owns and is selling the car, by USA federal law, they must do all know recalls on the vehicle, even after date of expiration. If they dont, and try selling it, they can have a lawsuit against them. They also cant just say they didnt look it up. It still applies to used cars too.

·
Registered
531 Posts
+1 to all comments.

Passing test = Gasket only replacement. Not passing, maybe the whole head.

I would NOT buy if I can't get Ford to replace the Head Gasket and it baffles me that they wouldn't do it anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
Dealer should have checked before trade or started the recall before the dead line. If the law is that they can't sell to a customer with an outstanding recall they have to eat the recall cost or send it to auction where it may sneak into market through a "grayish" dealer that doesn't care. But unless it gets the work, do not buy that car. The wrong head gasket is in it and it is very likely to fail, more of a "when" not "if" condition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for your comments. I am trying to work with the local Ford Service Rep as I know them through another friend. This whole experience was weird, the CARFAX report from 6/1/19 shows it the Head Gasket as a known recall, then magically on 6/3/19 the CARFAX does not report it, nor does the Ford system. Very strange......If they don't replace I'll let it be someone else's problem. Thanks again.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Pass.

The problem is that the "RS fix" was issued as a TSB campaign (or CSP Customer Satisfaction Program by Ford's lingo), not a recall - so they aren't technically required to perform the fix any longer due to the expiration date of May 31st.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i would guess it has the mustang head gasket and it will eventually fail likely taking out the engine. I can't believe Ford won't require the dealer to complete the repair before selling if the had they vehicle prior to may 31

·
Registered
853 Posts
Call Ford Customer Relations at 866-436-7332 and explain the situation. Reference Customer Satisfaction Program 17B32.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Definitely pass. The dealership should be looking into getting Ford to pay for the gasket swap. Even if they can, and it needs a new head and gasket, still pass. Most of the issues have been with recalls done that needed both the head and gasket.

On the other hand, if it needs a longblock and the dealer's going to do that, this certainly changes things. Especially if the price is right

·
Registered
362 Posts
New to the group.

Thoughts?
What's your location and color you want.

·
Registered
50 Posts
OK seriously need help here. I'm in the process of buying a 2016 RS from a non Ford dealer. The mileage ultra low (in the hundreds) and was not concerned if the HG was done because I was told Ford would take care of it if needed.
What are my options now as I am just about to complete after paying a substantial deposit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
OK seriously need help here. I'm in the process of buying a 2016 RS from a non Ford dealer. The mileage ultra low (in the hundreds) and was not concerned if the HG was done because I was told Ford would take care of it if needed.
What are my options now as I am just about to complete after paying a substantial deposit.
Panic attack over. Just pulled the Carfax on it and in March it went to a Ford Dealer and had a whole list of stuff done including the HG.
They replaced EPCM, Fuel Tank, Softare Updates, and full engine / powertrain Inspection so that looks like some SB's / Recalls caught up with. Phew
Just have to wait for delivery of my 2016 NB with a few hundred miles on the clock.....my dream car worth waiting for!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd personally look for cars that never needed the HG done in the first place(built post TSB), given a choice.

I was told that if the build date is 07/17 on the door it’s okay & has the correct HG, Is that true?

Obviously the 2018s are good to go but not everyone can deal with driving a blue or red car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
302 Posts
I was told that if the build date is 07/17 on the door it’s okay & has the correct HG, Is that true?

Obviously the 2018s are good to go but not everyone can deal with driving a blue or red car.

I wouldn't go by build date alone and would double check it before purchasing. Below are the pics I posted on FocusST.org and these show you what to look for. You can see/feel the brass rivet even when it's installed so double check or have the selling dealer double check and send you a pic to confirm. Make sure to ask for the OASIS report also if it's a Ford dealer. Good Luck!

RS HG 2.jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
Twizzty, I’m not sure what you can do if the RS is at Carmax or a Lexus Dealer etc. When you even mention ‘head gaskets’ they ask completely clueless, although they really might not have a clue, I don’t know.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts