Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all RS owners out there,

I thought I'd take the time to share my experience to hopefully save you from the same fate when bringing in your beloved RS for it's head gasket recall. First and foremost all of my work was done at Romano Ford in Syracuse, NY and I can't stress this enough, STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THEM AS POSSIBLE.

Monday March 5th, I bring my RS in for the recall and an airbag light that comes and goes. It is showing no symptoms of head gasket failure so I am not worried. The following day the dealer calls to say the compression test was fine and they are just going to replace the head gasket (or whatever the recall entails).

Friday March 8th I call to see if the car is done, to my surprise the dealer says that the parts are backordered and they don't know when they will be available. I say that is fine and to kindly fix the airbag light while we wait. The dealer refuses and says they will do them both at the same time. At this point I pick my car up and tell them to call me when the parts come in.

Tuesday March 20th, the parts arrive a week later and I drop my car off.

Friday March 23rd, I call the dealer and they tell me car is not finished. When I ask what the hold up is the service representative is very short with me and only says it is a large job and will be done early the following week.

Thursday March 29th, I call the dealer and they tell me one of the parts came with a crack in it and they have to order a new one, car won't be done for another week. At this point I go down to to dealer to talk to them and find my passenger door has a large scratch on it. Confronting the service representative he tries to tell me that the scratch must of already been there but eventually agrees to fix it.

Tuesday April 3rd, dealer calls and says the car is being buttoned up and will done by lunch time. I go to dealership that evening to find my car still on the lift not completed. Service guy tells me the car is not ready and will call me when it is.

Tuesday April 10th, I call the dealer and they tell me the recall is done but the part they ordered for the airbag light did not solve the problem and are looking into it.

Thursday April 12th, I get a call from the dealer saying the wire under the driver seat is not making a good connection and they would have to replace the entire wiring harness which is on backorder for forever and will never get it in (actual quote). Instead they propose moving the wire to an open pin, I agree to use this as a temporary fix.

Friday April 13th, 5 weeks later and my RS is finally done. Back to parking lot drifting and launching it at every red light right? Wrong, when I arrive at the dealer they tell me Ford would not warranty them moving the wire to another pin so they had to LIE and say it was something else. They claim its, "just as good as OEM." I calmly reply that is is not OEM and this will be fine until the part comes in. Again the service representative claims they don't know when the part will be in and it wont be for a long time. Frustrated and out of patients I leave the dealer and decide I will take somewhere else for the wiring problem. I start the car do a walk around to inspect their and notice it sounds a bit louder. Not thinking much of it I drive away, at the first red light I notice the car is idling unsteady around 1500 RPM. I continue to drive it home and the car does not sound right and is running terribly. I have scheduled another appointment to have the car looked at a different dealership next week.

Anyone have any advice on if this could be a vacuum leak and is it safe for the engine to drive it right now?

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
To all RS owners out there,

I thought I'd take the time to share my experience to hopefully save you from the same fate when bringing in your beloved RS for it's head gasket recall. First and foremost all of my work was done at Romano Ford in Syracuse, NY and I can't stress this enough, STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THEM AS POSSIBLE.

Monday March 5th, I bring my RS in for the recall and an airbag light that comes and goes. It is showing no symptoms of head gasket failure so I am not worried. The following day the dealer calls to say the compression test was fine and they are just going to replace the head gasket (or whatever the recall entails).

Friday March 8th I call to see if the car is done, to my surprise the dealer says that the parts are backordered and they don't know when they will be available. I say that is fine and to kindly fix the airbag light while we wait. The dealer refuses and says they will do them both at the same time. At this point I pick my car up and tell them to call me when the parts come in.

Tuesday March 20th, the parts arrive a week later and I drop my car off.

Friday March 23rd, I call the dealer and they tell me car is not finished. When I ask what the hold up is the service representative is very short with me and only says it is a large job and will be done early the following week.

Thursday March 29th, I call the dealer and they tell me one of the parts came with a crack in it and they have to order a new one, car won't be done for another week. At this point I go down to to dealer to talk to them and find my passenger door has a large scratch on it. Confronting the service representative he tries to tell me that the scratch must of already been there but eventually agrees to fix it.

Tuesday April 3rd, dealer calls and says the car is being buttoned up and will done by lunch time. I go to dealership that evening to find my car still on the lift not completed. Service guy tells me the car is not ready and will call me when it is.

Tuesday April 10th, I call the dealer and they tell me the recall is done but the part they ordered for the airbag light did not solve the problem and are looking into it.

Thursday April 12th, I get a call from the dealer saying the wire under the driver seat is not making a good connection and they would have to replace the entire wiring harness which is on backorder for forever and will never get it in (actual quote). Instead they propose moving the wire to an open pin, I agree to use this as a temporary fix.

Friday April 13th, 5 weeks later and my RS is finally done. Back to parking lot drifting and launching it at every red light right? Wrong, when I arrive at the dealer they tell me Ford would not warranty them moving the wire to another pin so they had to LIE and say it was something else. They claim its, "just as good as OEM." I calmly reply that is is not OEM and this will be fine until the part comes in. Again the service representative claims they don't know when the part will be in and it wont be for a long time. Frustrated and out of patients I leave the dealer and decide I will take somewhere else for the wiring problem. I start the car do a walk around to inspect their and notice it sounds a bit louder. Not thinking much of it I drive away, at the first red light I notice the car is idling unsteady around 1500 RPM. I continue to drive it home and the car does not sound right and is running terribly. I have scheduled another appointment to have the car looked at a different dealership next week.

Anyone have any advice on if this could be a vacuum leak and is it safe for the engine to drive it right now?
I certainly wouldn’t drive it based on your description. Check for anything loose under the hood and/or take it to your next Ford dealer via flatbed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Valve timing seems to be the common issue. Theres a special tool that locks the cams in place while they torque stuff down. They might not have had it positioned correctly.

·
Super Moderator
16,595 Posts
@Alexander12

Short and sweet, call Ford Customer Service and open a case. Their # is 1-800-392-3673 and let them know about this whole experience. Sounds like your dealership should take credit for their work and by reporting this incident the next dealership should get this sorted. @FordService we know you're monitoring, time to step up and look into this mess.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
I haven't bothered to take my car into the dealership for the "leak down" test mainly because of all of this crap.

I'm at 4500 miles as of today, with no noticeable coolant loss.

I've heard some scary stories about my dealership scratching cars and claiming innocent when confronted. That coupled with the fact that some of the techs claim to know what they're doing, when they don't. I also know for a fact the porter there at the dealership has had "fun" with my car in the parking lot when it was there for warranty work and a alignment(same guy on different occasions).

I'm in no hurry to have then rip into my car. I have to grudgingly let them inspect it for the first time this July(2 years old then), I may let them do the leakdown test then. But I have the 7 year extended warranty, so I might just let it go until it blows up for real and let the warranty take care of it. I prefer this option to them just deciding to change it so they can cover their asses. But I'm still undecided.

I hope they fix it quickly for you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I haven't bothered to take my car into the dealership for the "leak down" test mainly because of all of this crap.

I've heard some scary stories about my dealership scratching cars and claiming innocent when confronted. That coupled with the fact that some of the techs claim to know what they're doing, when they don't. I also know for a fact the porter there at the dealership has had "fun" with my car in the parking lot when it was there for warranty work and a alignment(same guy on different occasions).

I'm in no hurry to have then rip into my car. I have to grudgingly let them inspect it for the first time this July(2 years old then), I may let them do the leakdown test then. But I have the 7 year extended warranty, so I might just let it go until it blows up for real and let the warranty take care of it. I prefer this option to them just deciding to change it so they can cover their asses. But I'm still undecided.

you have to get done by jan 2019 or HG problems will be your problem. read the FSA.

·
5,629 Posts
I can't believe I am reading this.
OP, good luck and do as Hoonigan says.
Unbelievable..

:facepalm:

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Wow. Just wow. Words escape me, OP.

I wish you all the best in getting this resolved quickly and properly. Hope you can get some sort of recompense from Ford for such a horrible experience and disgusting service from the dealership.

Reactions: Paolo

·
Registered
893 Posts
I am sorry to hear OP.
Many dealers do not realize that having competence is an on-going thing and the magnitude of the job required them to do some homework. This level of incompetence can be seen in pretty much every area nowadays and at the way things are going, it will not change. If you as a customer do not chase and follow-up on a regular basis they will surprise you with how bad they can fix it.

A few years ago, some drunk woman, smashed into my parked car. Wrecked my rear bumper because she was too busy with her phone and lost control. I took it to the Ford Dealership and they said, it will be fixed as soon as the insurance makes their evaluation. They fixed the car pretty quick and when I went to pick it up, driver door was with a 30 cm scratch and the inner plastic of the door has a 10 cm deep cut. The cherry on top, I had dusty shoe marks over my car, including my steering column.

When I asked, how did this damage happen when they were supposed to fix the car at the rear they told me that it was like that when I dropped it. I looked at the two guys knee slapping me around and asked 'Are you Sure?'. They said in unison, of course, you gave us the car damaged like that. We never damage the client's car. You can pick it up and go home. I replied, just a few moments.

I spoke to the guy who runs the place and as he and I have history since 2004. I explained the situation and told him that while I am aware accidents happen when we work on cars, I do not like being lied too. He could not understand what is going on and he realized that something was wrong here if I am so unhappy with how my car was treated. He came and assessed the situation and the two stooges were starting to become flushed. They started to mumble in front of him and I explained that if they still claim that I did the damage, I will use my special clause in the insurance where I can refuse to pick up the car if I deem that the car is in a worse state than when I handed it in. I also showed them pictures of my door without the scratch and if I enforce the clause the insurance will pay jack for everything they did.

The conclusion was simple : they will fix the door, they will replace all the damaged parts inside the car and they will call me in a few days. I got the call and I was told that the damage happened at garage they outsourced the body work too. The one they usually go too was overbooked so they had to try another. They came clean and the two stooges are not allowed to touch any of my cars, especially my RS.

We love our cars, we treat them well, we invest to maintain them and we want to enjoy them. I for one work very hard for my money and I expect care when people handle my car. For some people, not all, we are just a customer number and nothing else. We just need to remind them that we do not accept botched jobs. Before I got my headgasket and head replace, I went down to the dealer and I had a meeting with the guy in charge and chief mechanic. I explained the situation and told them clearly : I want it fixed properly because this is a performance car I intend to drive it hard and because I purchased the car in good faith that should it be broken, they fix it.

Maybe we should collate all the threads where people had bad experiences and mail them to Ford for review purposes.

·
5,629 Posts
@bad|teddy

I can honestly say that Ford do read these forums.
Whether they act and respond is another story.

Reactions: Tongue Twinster

·
Registered
887 Posts

I am not an attorney and have never purchased an "extended warranty"contract. From my experience, however, I suggest that you STUDY, not just read, the extended warranty contract. Failure to NOT participate in the Ford Customer Service Program 17B32 may make some of the promises made in the service contract VOID. The situation you will then be in, by doing nothing, is something you may forever regret.

Insofar as "dealers scratching cars" issues you and others have commented on please be aware we all live in a very litigious society.

It had been about seven years not having purchased a new car when I bought the 2017 RS and never having purchased a Ford B4. When I took it in to my dealer for my first oil change I signed the work order, went into the the waiting room to browse thru the various car magazines (Car & Driver, Road & Track) to wait. Almost immediately the Service write-up person came in and asked me to come back out to review my car. It had not yet been moved since I parked it in the service area. He pointed out some very minor scratches on the exterior. I studied the minimal damage and realized I had done it several day ago.

To me, this was as sign of a very professional and experienced dealership. I went back to the waiting room feeling confident that my RS was in good hands and have continuously had the same experience with further service at the dealership, Dean Sellers Ford, Troy, Michigan.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Not a good idea. The warranty company will look into a engine failure, send a inspector out, and check service records. If they catch wind of a known recall, or service bulletin such as this head gasket they will deny the claim. The service contract is a Easycare contract, they adjudicate the claims in the end not Ford.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Alexander12

Short and sweet, call Ford Customer Service and open a case. Their # is 1-800-392-3673 and let them know about this whole experience. Sounds like your dealership should take credit for their work and by reporting this incident the next dealership should get this sorted. @FordService we know you're monitoring, time to step up and look into this mess.
Thank you for the advice, I have opened up a case and hopefully I will be hearing from @FordService soon.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
you have to get done by jan 2019 or HG problems will be your problem. read the FSA.
I am not an attorney and have never purchased an "extended warranty"contract. From my experience, however, I suggest that you STUDY, not just read, the extended warranty contract. Failure to NOT participate in the Ford Customer Service Program 17B32 may make some of the promises made in the service contract VOID. The situation you will then be in, by doing nothing, is something you may forever regret.
Not a good idea. The warranty company will look into a engine failure, send a inspector out, and check service records. If they catch wind of a known recall, or service bulletin such as this head gasket they will deny the claim. The service contract is a Easycare contract, they adjudicate the claims in the end not Ford.
Thank you for the advice, I have opened up a case and hopefully I will be hearing from @FordService soon.
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know. I'll let the monkeys test my car when it needs to be inspected.

But if they mess it up, I'll be doing the dance of I told you so.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I wouldnt be getting too bent out of shape about the wiring issue. Sounds like one of the wiring pins is getting pushed back instead of being held firmly by the plug housing when you push the connector together. Swapping the 2 wires to spare slots in each half of the plug which havent got an issue with the small retention tab is not only a good and permanent solution but is less risky and invasive than changing out the whole harness.
Remember the more work the dealer needs to do the greater the risk of ****ups.

Ciao

Reactions: TimF

·
Registered
217 Posts
I know, I know, I know, I know, I know. I'll let the monkeys test my car when it needs to be inspected.

But if they mess it up, I'll be doing the dance of I told you so.
if you don't trust your dealer go to different dealer. i didn't go to dealer i bought from because didn't trust them. go to a SVT dealer is best option. they do all the exclusive cars that other dealers can't get. better mechanic = better work. PROPER PREPARATION PREVENTS POOR PERFORMANCE.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
if you don't trust your dealer go to different dealer. i didn't go to dealer i bought from because didn't trust them. go to a SVT dealer is best option. they do all the exclusive cars that other dealers can't get. better mechanic = better work. PROPER PREPARATION PREVENTS POOR PERFORMANCE.
No such thing as an svt dealer anymore. SVT was turned into ford performance. All dealers can get all cars now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,595 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts