Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to do a school project regarding Quality Control & the RS HG recall. Does anyone happen to have any numerical data regarding the subject they think would be useful? Ex: # of cars affected, number of recalls fulfilled, etc.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Unfortunately Ford would be the only one with that information since it technically was not a recall. No governing body got involved because there was no safety risk. i.e. catching on fire or takata airbags etc. You can do your own research but I don’t think your numbers will be accurate as it’s just like asking how many cars got part X replaced under warranty.

Unless I’m completely wrong and Ford publishes that data or is willing to share it with you.

·
Registered
893 Posts
It would be an interesting project. How would you classify the work? Will it still count as one recall even if there have been multiple interventions? For example mine had 3 interventions on the head gasket and 1 on the timing chain cover.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Good luck with this project, but it won't see the light of day. If Ford cared enough to let you do this, you would be buried under so much paperwork and NDAs that you would wish that you hadn't done this.

I would be surprised if Ford hasn't had some junior engineer run these numbers, which shocked the bean counters as these cars lost them money, resulting in Ford quietly distancing themselves from the RS platform.

Reactions: StoddRS

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The project will primarily cover the basis of the recall (how the part numbers got switched), how many vehicles were affected, etc. Basically mimicking the quality control tools used by their quality engineers to determine the root cause of the problem. Wasn’t sure if someone had numerical data on the gasket itself or on anything that might be of use in graphical format or whatever.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The project will primarily cover the basis of the recall (how the part numbers got switched), how many vehicles were affected, etc. Basically mimicking the quality control tools used by their quality engineers to determine the root cause of the problem. Wasn’t sure if someone had numerical data on the gasket itself or on anything that might be of use in graphical format or whatever.
It was an FSA. Not a recall. There's a pretty significant difference and you likely want to get it right if you're going to present a project for school. All cars prior to June or July 2017 (the exact date is buried somewhere in the FSA paperwork or on these forums) build dates were assumed to have the incorrect gasket installed. They performed a variety of field tests on the cars (by techs) to gauge if they just needed to replace the gasket or the head and the gasket. In extremely rare instances, they replaced the motor. There's also an article by Bozi that provides a lot of info. Why the Ford Focus RS Is Having Head Gasket Issues

There are more things buried in this forum as well. You'll have to dig and dig though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts