Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 794 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey there everyone.

I just picked up my '16 RS a few days ago and wanted to share some news I got. My local Focus Facebook group has some ties with a few dealerships. They posted a day or so ago saying Ford confirmed in a private group that they will be releasing an FSA to replace all cylinder head gaskets on RS's with a build date between August 3rd, 2015 and July 6th, 2017. The supposed release date will be the 18th. Sounds legit, but who knows until it actually gets announced. I'll keep you updated if I hear anything else.

UPDATE:

Screenshot_1.jpg Screenshot_2.jpg

Here's the details

·
Super Moderator
16,376 Posts
Nice, 1st post. It would be nice to hear something of this to help most overcome the current/perceived hysteria. Anyone have thoughts, input?

Reactions: WVRS

·
Premium Member
2016 RS
1,095 Posts
My dealership's service manager is on watch for something like this for me. I haven't heard anything yet.

·
Registered
Focus RS 2017 RS2 Nitrous Blue
343 Posts
It was all over the Facebook group at the weekend..... with input from reputable Ford technician Jessica. Seems legit. And independent of mods.

"Hearing rumors that Ford will announce a Field Service Action (FSA) at the end of this coming week.
The FSA is to check and replace the Cylinder Head gasket on all Focus RS cars produced between August 3, 2015 and July 6, 2017.
Dealers are to pressure test the cooling system and replace the cylinder head gasket.
Based on test results, some vehicles may require a new cylinder head assembly.
This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
Thanks to Dan D. Lyon for sharing this on another group, thought I'd add it to this group.
Of course any rumor should be taken with a pinch of salt and is not guaranteed to happen.
"

"Its more like every car gets a head gasket with or without symptoms.
If the inspection leads to finding a warped head or block when using a machinist flat edge then additional components would be replaced, I expect most to get just gaskets though.
With or without symptoms.
You'll hear more the 18th
"

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good news! But will this be mandatory like a recall? Or just if you are having symptoms? How confident can we be that our local Ford service techs can perform this job with minimal impact. Us owners with very low mileage might not be as inclined to open up our engines and performing surgery unless absolutely necessary.
Can we be confident the dealer can distinguish a warped head properly and replace it?, especially for those owners with much higher miles where the head has seen more duty cycles.

There are many owners here with high mileage on the B gasket with no issues whatsoever. Is it just a matter of time before failure?

Those are the questions I would like answers to as well since I'm an owner with very low mileage, who doesn't drive his car much. Should this come to fruition, would we better served by waiting for symptoms? Or opening up a relatively fresh engine to replace a gasket?

I always had confidence in Ford coming up with a fix for us and I'm glad they did if this is true☺

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
This will be a scheduling nightmare at a bunch of dealers. Hurry up and wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
I wonder whats going to go along with this?

Loaner car?

Free Ford Performance Upgrade Tune?

Extend factory warranty?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I wonder whats going to go along with this?

Loaner car?

Free Ford Performance Upgrade Tune?

Extend factory warranty?
You'll get a free oil and coolant change!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'd expect a loaner car but I'm not holding my breath on getting anything more than that.
I'll get a free Enterprise rental at my dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
any media/reference to the UK announcement?
Ford will announce a Field Service Action (FSA) at the end of this coming week.

The FSA is to check and replace the Cylinder Head gasket on all Focus RS cars produced between August 3, 2015 and July 6, 2017.

Dealers are to pressure test the cooling system and replace the cylinder head gasket.

Based on test results, some vehicles may require a new cylinder head assembly.

This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
This is very good news :happy: Lets hope we get an official answer from Ford soon :eagerness:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hope this is a mandatory replacement instead of inspection only. I wonder if we can request the swap even if we have no issues with the 'B'HG? I am coming up on end of engine break-in mileage and would be perfect time for replacement and fluids under warranty. This is really good news for RS owners if it happens.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Not going to hold my breath on this one.

I'd love to be wrong, but this has been rumored a few times now and nothing. Looks like someone grabbed the first RS production date and the date the C gasket was added to motor builds. Again, I would love to be wrong on this.

I'm with you.... my local Facebook group is lighting up.... I'll believe it when I see something on Ford stationary.

In regards to the UK announcement, I can't find anything using my Google-Fu

·
Registered
18 Posts
Okay, some more Info I followed up with questions you guys have been asking in this thread and others....

Q: Mustang Head Gasket used is that Root Cause?

A: I cannot share that, but I can say do not believe everything you read on the internet.....

I take that as a strong hint that its nothing to do with the rumours about Mustang Head Gaskets being used...

Q: Can you confirm that this means every car in the date range gets at the very least a new head gasket?

A: Yes

Q: Will the FSA go out as a letter to all owners like the PCM oil use update one did?

A: Yes

Q: Assume this is global and not just UK specific?

A: Correct: Global action. Largest volume of cars is from Europe, UK is #1

Q: Will owners have to take cars in asap or will they wait till next service?

A: We will request Owners to take their vehicle in for checking ahead of the next service. Obviously, those with signs of an issue - (coolant consumption or worse still, white smoke) should be prioritised.

Q What happens if owner hadn't managed to get booked in and full engine failure happens once the FSA is issued?

A: Ford will pay. It is our responsibility to repair vehicles as soon as possible although the Owner should alert his dealer if there are warning signs as (previous question) above.

Q: How long will the work take?

A: Depends on the repair, nominally 2 days as a minimum: (pressure test takes 5 hrs alone). Assume 3 days. We will assist all Owners with cost of a loan vehicle if needed: our dealers will take care of this.

That's all I have, it certainly puts my mind at rest..

1 - 20 of 794 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.