Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to install my new Whiteline front sway bar and was wondering if any of you have completed a front sway bar install without using a lift?
I've found a U-tube video and I've also read Hank's notes/pictures on his install but both used a lift. Hoping to hear from one of you that completed an install on jack stands.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Not difficult. Not on this car, but I've done subframes on a Mk1 with just jackstands. You can do anything you want on this car with jackstands. The only thing you can't do is drop the motor out through the bottom and lift the body off it.

Lifts just make things easier, but aren't required for anything.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I did the FSB with the car on jack stands in the garage. Blake's garage video was helpful. Rally sport direct also has a very helpful video. It's been a bit but let me know if you have specific questions. It took a few hours but very doable.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
+1 For the rallysport direct video. That's pretty much how you'll be doing it.

I've scoped this out a year or so ago and its definitely doable with a jack and jack stands. Depending on how much room you have, the subframe bolts can be a pain to access. You'll also need room to support the subframe with a jack (or 2 preferably) while you work on them. Me being on the "husky" side, I went ahead and convinced myself that I didn't need em lol

·
Registered
811 Posts
+1 For the rallysport direct video. That's pretty much how you'll be doing it.

I've scoped this out a year or so ago and its definitely doable with a jack and jack stands. Depending on how much room you have, the subframe bolts can be a pain to access. You'll also need room to support the subframe with a jack (or 2 preferably) while you work on them. Me being on the "husky" side, I went ahead and convinced myself that I didn't need em lol
Yep, the Rally Sport Direct video was more helpful to me than any other material. None of the bolts were a problem (and I did reuse the bolts when the service manual calls for new). The single most horrible thing about doing this by yourself is wrestling the new sway bar back in while keeping the subframe supported (I used a jack so I could adjust height) and angled so that you have enough room. That part was terrible for me.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A Big Thanks, Guys!
I had my car jacked up higher than what appeared in the installation video. After dropping the sub-frame the sway-bar was a piece of cake to remove and replace. No fighting with the bar at all. I have the sub-frame back into place but ran out of time to complete the final assembly which I will do on Monday. My weekend is reserved for play:encouragement:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts