Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious. I cannot determine which of the ETS, Airtec, or Mountune intercoolers provide the best results.

·
Registered
537 Posts
No, it shouldn't matter at all. If you get their tune separately all they ask is if you have an aftermarket or stock intercooler. Any of those three would be sufficient for the mountune tune.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
ETS best bang for the buck @ almost half of the Mountune unit. Of course, some fanboi will chime in how it is made of unobtainium, etc. and worth the differential. It's not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
ETS best bang for the buck @ almost half of the Mountune unit. Of course, some fanboi will chime in how it is made of unobtainium, etc. and worth the differential. It's not.
Fanboi here: I'd just suggest folks make sure the unit they choose doesn't end up weighing twice as much as necessary, and doesn't have an unexpectedly large pressure drop. You pay for Mountune engineering. Whether it's worth it is an individual decision. And of course, only Mountune has their own unobtanium mine.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Fanboi here: I'd just suggest folks make sure the unit they choose doesn't end up weighing twice as much as necessary, and doesn't have an unexpectedly large pressure drop. You pay for Mountune engineering. Whether it's worth it is an individual decision. And of course, only Mountune has their own unobtanium mine.
It's lighter because it's tube and fin vs. bar and plate. Bar and plate is a much better design and normally costs more. Which makes the price differential even more ridiculous. If you have actual test data that shows superior DP vs. other units, please share.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
of course, some fangirl will chime in how it is made of unobtainium, etc. And worth the differential. It's not.
FTFY. :strawberry:

Reactions: cheeRS and fourZero

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
It's lighter because it's tube and fin vs. bar and plate. Bar and plate is a much better design and normally costs more. Which makes the price differential even more ridiculous. If you have actual test data that shows superior DP vs. other units, please share.
Bar and plate isn't an inherently better design. It is more robust. There are at least four different bar and plate configurations, and whether or not any are a better engineering choice than a quality tube and fin depends on what you are looking for. I can't speak to RS AM IC's, but in the ST world, there were some AM IC's that had great cooling abilities, but were literally double the weight of the Mountune IC....and that weight (~ 18 lbs!) was 22" in front of the front axle. Many had no pressure delta information at all.

I'm not telling anyone what to buy. I'm just letting folks know that Mountune has a stellar reputation engineering great Focus AM performance parts. And, you're right they aren't cheap.

·
Registered
164 Posts
By the time you make the ETS black like the Mountune it's only about a 25 percent difference in price. Without a proper side by side test, telling the differences are merely opinions. Also Mountune doesn't offer re-sellers huge discounts(or any at all on some items) so they're less inclined to carry it.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
By the time you make the ETS black like the Mountune it's only about a 25 percent difference in price. Without a proper side by side test, telling the differences are merely opinions. Also Mountune doesn't offer re-sellers huge discounts(or any at all on some items) so they're less inclined to carry it.
$2.50 of flat black spray paint. I agree that without DP data it's all academic. That said, I've always favored bar and plate for durability.

Tube and fin is absolutely cheaper to manufacture, Mountune really got cheeky with the RS tax on this one, much like the $1,399 axleback with additional crush piece.

They are offering a catback for $200 cheaper so perhaps they're learning.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I went with the Mountune B3 package because I felt it was complete, their reputation is excellent and between the "package" discount, pass code order discount and free shipping, the differential over the competition in price was nominal. For the intercooler, I just could not justify the price difference in what I determined to be equal in quality units so I opted for the Black anodized ETS. So far, Very happy with both and they are both top notch in every way. Completely different car with the B3 package, intercooler and Borla.

Reactions: NICK_RS and Osage

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good stuff in this thread. Leaves much to ponder. Thanks, all!

I am leaning toward a Mountune package with the ETS intercooler.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There certainly are models in the ecu (particularly around transient fueling) that depend on intercooler volume, and it's quantified. It's not a simple matter of entering the volume of the new intercooler, so getting that right takes some understanding and/or experimentation. I'm not sure if many tuners are willing or able to do it with a reasonably high degree of precision, but if anyone has the data necessary to do it properly and without much trial and error it's Mountune.

Now does it really matter in a material sense to the end user? Probably not so much.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ets has a great product and you can anodize it. This will also help dropping temps. They also offer hard intake pipes. If you are a member of the military they will also give you a additional 10% off your entire order from they're site. Get your military friend to order it is a great deal. I have Ets and the parts and finish are #1

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Ets has a great product and you can anodize it. This will also help dropping temps. They also offer hard intake pipes. If you are a member of the military they will also give you a additional 10% off your entire order from they're site. Get your military friend to order it is a great deal. I have Ets and the parts and finish are #1

I wish I would have known that prior to ordering a $1,200 exhaust LOL. I'm not active duty but have the Veteran designation on my DL and I've never seen someone turn down a disabled vet for a discount..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fanboi 2: here! You get what you pay for!! Why does Adam (ETS) not have the fastest focus yet? Because MOUNTUNE has the title!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went with the Mountune B3 package because I felt it was complete, their reputation is excellent and between the "package" discount, pass code order discount and free shipping, the differential over the competition in price was nominal. For the intercooler, I just could not justify the price difference in what I determined to be equal in quality units so I opted for the Black anodized ETS. So far, Very happy with both and they are both top notch in every way. Completely different car with the B3 package, intercooler and Borla.
I have the B7 package and it definitely is a night and day difference!! What randy did with the tune is crazy, the car wants to eat the road!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Fanboi 2: here! You get what you pay for!! Why does Adam (ETS) not have the fastest focus yet? Because MOUNTUNE has the title!!
Holy 3 year old thread... New account... Is this a troll? Am I taking the bait?
And for the record, I don't like Adam, but am just stating facts here.
Ets has nothing to do with Adam.
That said, Adam has tuned a rs running an ets intercooler with alot of other bits, but still on the stock block and ran just a hundredth slower than that fully built mountune car.
That mountune car would get destroyed if not for that sequential transmission.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Also taking the bait.
Adam does indeed have the fastest RS. Longevity, however, is non-existent.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts