Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's happened in both normal, and sport modes. The brake pedal is very hard, almost no braking force, push real hard...harder than before there were power assisted brakes I mean, and you will have some diminished braking power. Let off the brakes, and quickly reapply pressure, and braking feels "normal".

At least two of the three times it has occurred, the roads were snow/slush covered. There was NO abs feedback, just a dead pedal.

Anybody else?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Had this for the first time this afternoon, after driving in to work through some unplowed roads with ~15 cm of snow and parking for the morning. I assume it was hard packed snow/slush messing with the brakes, because as with you, after the first brake attempt, the brakes resumed normal feel and function. Not a pleasant sensation when approaching a red light at a busy intersection.

·
Registered
457 Posts
That's "ice mode", a condition well known to us autocrossers and common to almost all ABS-equipped vehicles. It comes from double-pumping the brakes, which really confuses the ABS system. When you hit the brakes, don't try to pump the pedal at all - just hit it once and let the ABS do its job. Coming from a non-ABS equipped Sentra, I had the same thing happen to me entering a tight 180 at my last autocross. Caught a couple of cones on that run.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have felt this on my RS and think that it has nothing to do with the pedal.
The problem, in my opinion, is that the RS comes equipped with a brake pad designed more for performance than for all season driving.
If you are driving on the highway in cold slushy conditions, the brake pads and rotors get quite cold and wet.
When you first hit the brake pedal, the pads don't generate much braking until they are held for a couple of seconds.
If you first hit the brake and feel nothing but a hard pedal, you will probably release and try a second application.
If you just hold the hard pedal, it will suddenly start to work when the pads heat up for a second or two.
The longer you go between brake applications, the more the brakes get cold.

One more idea,
Maybe those of us driving in cold slushy conditions would be better off with the brake cooling ducts temporarily plugged.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have felt this on my RS and think that it has nothing to do with the pedal.
The problem, in my opinion, is that the RS comes equipped with a brake pad designed more for performance than for all season driving.
If you are driving on the highway in cold slushy conditions, the brake pads and rotors get quite cold and wet.
When you first hit the brake pedal, the pads don't generate much braking until they are held for a couple of seconds.
If you first hit the brake and feel nothing but a hard pedal, you will probably release and try a second application.
If you just hold the hard pedal, it will suddenly start to work when the pads heat up for a second or two.
The longer you go between brake applications, the more the brakes get cold.

One more idea,
Maybe those of us driving in cold slushy conditions would be better off with the brake cooling ducts temporarily plugged.
The first time this happened to me was during heavy rain while on the highway. Scared the crap out of me. There was plenty of pedal but no grip. I have experienced the delayed grip braking in wet or sloppy conditions several times and have filed the feedback in the back of my head, realizing that I need a full 2 count before they feel "normal". I thought the rotors may have been glazed, but that is not the case. While excellent in dry conditions, wet factors have me wondering if a slotted rotor or a softer pad compound would help the issue. The bottom line is I want to know I have brakes when I need them, not a second and a half later.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It's an ABS thing. That's why all gravel rally cars and many tarmac rally cars don't have ABS.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Since I have felt a hard pedal in other cars before when cruising in cold slush, the RS didn't really surprise me.
With the performance brake pads, I expected that they would not perform well cold and wet.
However, what @Magdaddy is having seems much worse than what I have had in the RS.
Recently, I felt a brake pull to the right and the Ford dealership disassembled and cleaned my front calipers. Since then, I do not have the pull.
Just for reference, my car was delivered in July, and I've added 11000 miles since delivery.
If both calipers were to hang up, that could cause a hard pedal along with poor braking.
Since winter lasts forever up here, I also covered both brake ducts with some clear plastic behind the covers. I dont know if this will help with the cold wet stuff or not, but there is no reason for my front brakes to have cooling for the next few months.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Since I have felt a hard pedal in other cars before when cruising in cold slush, the RS didn't really surprise me.
With the performance brake pads, I expected that they would not perform well cold and wet.
However, what @Magdaddy is having seems much worse than what I have had in the RS.
Recently, I felt a brake pull to the right and the Ford dealership disassembled and cleaned my front calipers. Since then, I do not have the pull.
Just for reference, my car was delivered in July, and I've added 11000 miles since delivery.
If both calipers were to hang up, that could cause a hard pedal along with poor braking.
Since winter lasts forever up here, I also covered both brake ducts with some clear plastic behind the covers. I dont know if this will help with the cold wet stuff or not, but there is no reason for my front brakes to have cooling for the next few months.
That hard pedal is increasing in frequency...it lasted the entire 2 mile errand run yesterday morning. If performance pads were the cause, it should happen every pedal application in below zero temps, when there are long pauses between pedal application. This morning it was single digits...didn't happen once on the drive in.

IMHO, this isn't caused by ABS, as there is absolutely no pedal feedback. One of my old Audi's had a problem with the ABS unit that caused a similar issue, the pedal feel was different mind you,in that I got some ABS pulsing, but the result was the same...no braking power. Thankfully, that generation Audi had an ABS OFF button on the dash.

Daverup, you mentioned the pulling to the right under initial braking...I forgot to mention that. I have experienced that since delivery, maybe happened a half dozen times, much lower frequency than the dead pedal. That pulling sensation can be dramatic at highway speeds, big twitch in the car.

·
Registered
512 Posts
That hard pedal is increasing in frequency...it lasted the entire 2 mile errand run yesterday morning. If performance pads were the cause, it should happen every pedal application in below zero temps, when there are long pauses between pedal application. This morning it was single digits...didn't happen once on the drive in.

IMHO, this isn't caused by ABS, as there is absolutely no pedal feedback. One of my old Audi's had a problem with the ABS unit that caused a similar issue, the pedal feel was different mind you,in that I got some ABS pulsing, but the result was the same...no braking power. Thankfully, that generation Audi had an ABS OFF button on the dash.

Daverup, you mentioned the pulling to the right under initial braking...I forgot to mention that. I have experienced that since delivery, maybe happened a half dozen times, much lower frequency than the dead pedal. That pulling sensation can be dramatic at highway speeds, big twitch in the car.
The RS is at it again, trying to kill me. Early morning drive, low single digit temps (celcius), wet conditions, highway driving. Hit the brake, almost nothing. Release, hit it again, still nothing, hold, and there they are. Then a few kilometres later after no braking, same deal. Since it's Xmas Eve and I was out at 6AM, I was able to do multiple high speed braking tests, and they were all very strong stops after the dead pedal thing stopped happening. Is this really just performance pads in the cold/wet? Seems hazardous. It seems to make sense though, after braking multiple times it did not happen again at all, and only seems to happen the first couple of times I hit the brakes in the cold/snow/wet.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The RS is at it again, trying to kill me. Early morning drive, low single digit temps (celcius), wet conditions, highway driving. Hit the brake, almost nothing. Release, hit it again, still nothing, hold, and there they are. Then a few kilometres later after no braking, same deal. Since it's Xmas Eve and I was out at 6AM, I was able to do multiple high speed braking tests, and they were all very strong stops after the dead pedal thing stopped happening. Is this really just performance pads in the cold/wet? Seems hazardous. It seems to make sense though, after braking multiple times it did not happen again at all, and only seems to happen the first couple of times I hit the brakes in the cold/snow/wet.
I had it last night in cold slop multiple times.
New pads might be the only fix.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anything brake related I would advise you have it checked the the dealer.
Took my RS into the dealer today for all the gremlins...hard brake pedal, pull to the right or left on initial braking, drive modes not available, TC off light illuminated then goes back on by itself, TPMS fault issue, keyfob not auto unlocking the car when adjacent to it...all these items are intermittent naturally. Dealer could duplicate none of them. At least it is in the file for the car now.

One of the oem TPMS is bad, so I gotta replace that to eliminate the TPMS fault message. Just gonna have to deal with these gremlins I imagine.

Anyone else have intermittent FM radio reception? This car has some crazy idiosyncrasies

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Roads covered in snow today...hard pedal multiple times during all three trips... morning commute, lunch run, afternoon commute....constant "twitch" to the right on every low speed brake application too. ABS is massively intrusive with this car, more so than any other vehicle I have owned. I imagine whatever is causing that twitch, is affecting the ABS too. I have zero faith that my little local dealer will find the fix...hope that the mass experience here on this forum leads to a solution.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok...who has found a solution for this? This hard brake pedal is becoming a huge concern, my dealer could not replicate it...and they sure as hell ain't gonna just throw parts at something they can't diagnose. It's above freezing here today, roads wet from rain...but not slick. Two times in the course of a 15 minute drive, I overran the intersection...3-4 hard pedals, followed by HUGE effort on the pedal to stop. I'm not talking lack of power assist here either.

Car will swag to the left or right(usually) in low speed braking...almost every time. I joked in another thread that I have named my RS Gump...Forest Gump. Cause ..." pushing the brake pedal is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get"

I'm gonnna lodge a complaint with Ford Service tomorrow, and email every Ford contact I accumulated while awaiting build/delivery.

There will be no solution to this issue from a dealer I imagine. Unless I start to ALWAYS adjust my driving style, and stopping distance to anticipate this eventuality....I'm gonna wreck the car.

For as mind boggling as this car is in most conditions...when this $hit happens, the good vibes are quickly forgotten.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Glad to hear i'm not the only one having this issue. So far it's only happened during wet/cold conditions, and when I first start driving in the morning. I rarely use the brake as most of my commute is highway driving. After pushing the pedal hard and making a quick stop, the brakes felt normal again

·
Vendor
131 Posts
This is definitely a concern and I have experienced this multiple times in our car. In wet conditions the brake scoops on the control arms push water onto the rotors/pads making them ineffective on initial brake application. Combined with a performance oriented pad that exacerbates the situation.

·
Registered
295 Posts
This is definitely a concern and I have experienced this multiple times in our car. In wet conditions the brake scoops on the control arms push water onto the rotors/pads making them ineffective on initial brake application. Combined with a performance oriented pad that exacerbates the situation.
I blocked the brake duct next to the fog light and it did not change anything. The scoop on the control arm must be independent of the front ducts.
Lots of cold brake attempts today when I was driving in some cold wet slushy mess. I hope we can find a solution for this before someone gets hurt.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Fortunately not a problem here where I live. Have you guys considered front pads with softer material/ lower temp range?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Fortunately not a problem here where I live. Have you guys considered front pads with softer material/ lower temp range?
I would buy the lower temp brake pads if I knew a supplier. I haven't seen anything but high performance brake components.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts