Ford Focus RS Forum banner

381 - 400 of 433 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
Hank,
I've noticed you track your car and am curious how is your headgasket going?
Any leaks?
Paolo,

My HG recall was done on 04/26/19, and it included a new cylinder head. Not sure when notes were added that require sealant on the corners to prevent oil leaks, but I don't have any leaks to speak of. It only helped that the technician was probably one of the best (if not THE best) around these parts. Coolant level is stable since I got it back. Performance is outstanding. I love this car.

·
Registered
878 Posts
@Hank

You are proof that there are cars out there worthy of the RS moniker.
Mine and Paolo's are Rallye Leaky and not Rallye Sport.

Reactions: Hank

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #383
Pictures along the way:
Autox 07/12/20 Results. More information here.

Notes:
  • Fastest Time of the Day out of 50 drivers by 0.178 seconds. 1st in SM by 4.558 seconds.
  • Potenza RE-71R tires at 34F/20R tire pressures hot. -3.1F/-2.9R camber. Zero toe F/R.
  • Rear sway bar = firm. Front sway bar = middle.
  • Front shocks = 3 from firm. Rear shocks = 9 from firm (half way).
  • Vehicle race weight = 3180 lb (just below 1/4 tank of fuel, no driver).
  • RE-71R tires are now at 35 runs.
  • Total of 207 launches on the stock clutch.
  • Odometer 5838 miles today. Trailered my RS to the event.

Reactions: GeniusKhan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hank, I notice you are adjusting your RE-71r rear tire hit pressure in the 20-24lb range, when you AX , but don’t seem to vary the fronts off of 34lb. I have been running my RE’s at 34 in front with good results. I haven’t been able to determine what rear tire pressure works best for my car and have varied pressures from 28-22lb. How are you determining optimum hot rear tire pressure (chalking tires or other method)? Thanks. Love your thread and scientific approach.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Pictures along the way:
Autox 07/12/20 Results. More information here.

Notes:
  • Fastest Time of the Day out of 50 drivers by 0.178 seconds. 1st in SM by 4.558 seconds.
  • Potenza RE-71R tires at 34F/20R tire pressures hot. -3.1F/-2.9R camber. Zero toe F/R.
  • RE-71R tires are now at 35 runs.
  • Total of 207 launches on the stock clutch.
  • Odometer 5838 miles today. Trailered my RS to the event.
Awesome! What's your video/audio setup? Looks like GoPro on the windshield. Are you using an external mic on the back of the car? What software do you use to display that telemetry?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
Hank, I notice you are adjusting your RE-71r rear tire hit pressure in the 20-24lb range, when you AX , but don’t seem to vary the fronts off of 34lb. I have been running my RE’s at 34 in front with good results. I haven’t been able to determine what rear tire pressure works best for my car and have varied pressures from 28-22lb. How are you determining optimum hot rear tire pressure (chalking tires or other method)? Thanks. Love your thread and scientific approach.
I apply a 1/2" line of tire chalk every 90 degrees around the perimeter of each tire. Re-apply chalk as necessary throughout the day. I stop lowering the pressure of a tire when the wear edge gets to the little triangles on the sidewall of the RE-71R tires. If I notice any rollover on the rear from a grippy surface with lots of fast transitions I will up the pressure to 22 psig. I have found that 34 psig is the sweet spot for the front (no lower, no higher).

Awesome! What's your video/audio setup? Looks like GoPro on the windshield. Are you using an external mic on the back of the car? What software do you use to display that telemetry?
I have a GoPro Hero 5 Black on the windshield. I used to have it on the top of the windshield (outside and center), but my battery doesn't last anymore. Keeping it on the inside, I can use my charging cable in the center console outlet. This model GoPro doesn't need a battery to work. No external mic. Not sure what the rattle noise is on the last video. Could be the Valentine 1 radar mount (minus the detector), the GoPro mount/case, or the charging cable? My buddy uses Race Render from HP Tuners for telemetry and DaVinci Resolve from Black Magic Design for editing his/my videos. I datalog with my Accessport, GPS datalog with the GoPro, and he does the rest.

Reactions: MorningZ

·
Registered
728 Posts
I apply a 1/2" line of tire chalk every 90 degrees around the perimeter of each tire. Re-apply chalk as necessary throughout the day. I stop lowering the pressure of a tire when the wear edge gets to the little triangles on the sidewall of the RE-71R tires. If I notice any rollover on the rear from a grippy surface with lots of fast transitions I will up the pressure to 22 psig. I have found that 34 psig is the sweet spot for the front (no lower, no higher).

I have a GoPro Hero 5 Black on the windshield. I used to have it on the top of the windshield (outside and center), but my battery doesn't last anymore. Keeping it on the inside, I can use my charging cable in the center console outlet. This model GoPro doesn't need a battery to work. No external mic. Not sure what the rattle noise is on the last video. Could be the Valentine 1 radar mount (minus the detector), the GoPro mount/case, or the charging cable? My buddy uses Race Render from HP Tuners for telemetry and DaVinci Resolve from Black Magic Design for editing his/my videos. I datalog with my Accessport, GPS datalog with the GoPro, and he does the rest.
Good stuff! Thanks, Hank! It sounds pretty good for not being an external mic. I always get wind noise on my videos, but I also usually have it mounted in between the front seats using a mount attached to the passenger headrest post to get the shifting and steering action inside the car as well. So I can see that being a factor. I'll mount it to my windshield and check out the difference in sound.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
@Hank , just want to ask what size ETS Intercooler did you install on your RS?

I can't find the info from your thread or your site if its 4" or 5" .

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
@Hank , just want to ask what size ETS Intercooler did you install on your RS?
I can't find the info from your thread or your site if its 4" or 5" .
It is the 26"x8.75"x4" ETS intercooler included with the Tune+ W400 kit. I updated my website with this info. Thanks.

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
Pictures along the way:
Autox 07/19/20 Results. More information here.

Notes:
  • 4th Fastest Time of the Day out of 37 drivers behind (2) Karts and a Piper FF (open wheel racer). In SM all by myself.
  • RE-71R tires are now at 41 runs.
  • Odometer 5850 miles today. Trailered my RS to the event.
  • Total launches on the stock clutch so far = 213.
  • Burton Coliseum parking lot was a very rough asphalt surface and BUMPY due to driving across parking rows (not down lanes). Think rainfall drainage.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #392
Pictures along the way:
FORScan Settings. More information here.

Notes:
  • First, backed up all of the factory As-Builts and Central Configuration File.
  • Changes I made so far:
    • Bambi Mod = Fog Lights remain on with high beams. To spot deer and other wildlife when night driving (not to blind oncoming drivers).
    • TPMS disable = I have a dedicated set of Enkei wheels & RE-71R tires without TPMS sensors. My OE wheels/tires are in the garage. No more TPMS light!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
Pictures along the way:
Intake Cover. More information here.

Notes:
  • I actually completed this install on 07/08/20, but I wanted to see if it worked first.
  • Field test results - Performed well at the 07/12/20 (FTD) & 07/19/20 (FTD*) autocrosses.
  • Works well in conjunction with the AEM Dryflow (close-ended) filter.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
Pictures along the way:
RDU Bushing Inserts. More information here.

Notes:
  • Wanted to tighten up the RDU before re-programming it for more rear torque bias.
  • Powerflex offers yellow (street) and black (race) bushing inserts. I opted for the black of course.
  • No formal deflection measurements were taken before/after, but before the RDU front would deflect approx 1/2" (after = almost none).
  • 39 total photos in the gallery.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
How's the NVH?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
How's the NVH?
Significant NVH increase with Powerflex Black series RDU bushing inserts. You folks with RS daily drivers wouldn't want those. Get the Yellow series. No funny noises. I left my MCS suspension on my autox settings, but the RDU bushing inserts make your kidneys feel any bumps/potholes/etc. The deserted road (mentioned below) is just a 2-lane, so I couldn't stretch the legs on my RS to test quick transitions other than slalom and a few imaginary gates and Chicago boxes. I never thought of the factory RDU as sloppy, but it feels like the tail wags much quicker now in response to steering wheel input. I wish more RS owners lived near me to perform back-to-back tests.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
Videos along the way:
Kacper RDU programming (No How-To Page yet, Beta Testing for now)

Back story, IMHO the best mod hands down for the RS is a tune. It gets rid of the overboost function and great occasional power, and makes the power stay at all times. You never have to worry about minimal power when you mash the accelerator pedal.

Flash back to today, after programming my RDU to 12% multiplier on final requested torque I took a 20 mile drive. GOOD LORD in Heaven! Where has @Kacper been hiding for (4) years? I bet more folks that got rid of their RS would have kept it had they reprogrammed the RDU. Keep in mind this is after a 20 mile drive. I can't wait to autox it! Next one is 09/07/20.

This afternoon I drove out to a deserted asphalt road in an industrial part of Mexico (about 10 miles from my house). I had my 275/35/18 RE-71R tires set at 34/28 cold before I left. After getting to the designated spot in Mexico, I lined up for a quick launch to 60mph. The tach needle danced at 4,000 rpm for just a second, I side-stepped the clutch, and the RS lept forward. What was different during this launch was that I got wheelspin from the rear before the front. So much so that it walked an estimated 6 inches to the left while the front was planted straight as the steering wheel was aimed. I counter-steered a tad, shifted into 2nd at 6000 rpm, and settled down when I got to 3rd gear. I drove down the street and turned around. I slalomed a bit, accelerated in 2nd and panic stopped down to 20mph a few times to warm the tires and brakes up. This gave the clutch a few mins to cool down at highway speed. When I launched the second time, I made sure the steering wheel was straight (again), Tune+ launch control at 4,000rpm, side-step the clutch, and... NO DRAMA. My RS lept forward with no noticeable wheelspin at all. I normally get front wheelspin during autox launches.

I plan on continuing to beta test the different multipliers available until I find the perfect match for my RS. There are numerous options coming out soon: 12% overall multiplier, 25% overall multiplier, xx% multiplier only at launch, etc. Stay tuned for more feedback and test videos!

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Yeah, Ken Block is fully book Mang!

@Hank would be the closest thing.

:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Significant NVH increase with Powerflex Black series RDU bushing inserts. You folks with RS daily drivers wouldn't want those. Get the Yellow series. No funny noises. I left my MCS suspension on my autox settings, but the RDU bushing inserts make your kidneys feel any bumps/potholes/etc. The deserted road (mentioned below) is just a 2-lane, so I couldn't stretch the legs on my RS to test quick transitions other than slalom and a few imaginary gates and Chicago boxes. I never thought of the factory RDU as sloppy, but it feels like the tail wags much quicker now in response to steering wheel input. I wish more RS owners lived near me to perform back-to-back tests.
I actually cant see the point in these Hank. The RDU is already isolated from the suspension because its basically bolted to the chassis so who cares how much it moves around(to a point of course) All I can see you getting is more NVH. Cant see how its going to affect handling at all.

Ciao

381 - 400 of 433 Posts