Ford Focus RS Forum banner

361 - 380 of 433 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
@Hank , why have the suspension settings changed so drastically on the compression side of the fronts? I ask due to you being very close to closed which will always create very severe spiking in the transitional phase of low speed damping to main piston flow in the shim stack. The MCS system you use has an internal free bleed low speed parabolic designed needle for flow restraints, all pressure after flow choke bypasses to main. I dont know for sure whether they use asymmetrical valves( i hope they do) whereas again we have an issue when low speed rebound is needed as the same free bleed does both function on most dampers. Sorry suspension dork and always wanna know info. lol
Unfortunately, I never dabbled in suspension tuning even though I'm a mechanical engineer. For my FSAE car in college I was the team leader and engine guy.

The settings that you see for my MCS TT1 suspension were starting suggestions from Vorshlag Motorsports. I guess you could say that I learned to drive my RS with these settings. The only times I have changed the shock settings are when I drive on the street (9 clicks front/rear) as opposed to racing (15 clicks front, 9 clicks rear). These are both out of 18 clicks of adjustment.

I'm always open for feedback. I just don't have a background to defend one side or the other for this type of discussion.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Unfortunately, I never dabbled in suspension tuning even though I'm a mechanical engineer. For my FSAE car in college I was the team leader and engine guy.

The settings that you see for my MCS TT1 suspension were starting suggestions from Vorshlag Motorsports. I guess you could say that I learned to drive my RS with these settings. The only times I have changed the shock settings are when I drive on the street (9 clicks front/rear) as opposed to racing (15 clicks front, 9 clicks rear). These are both out of 18 clicks of adjustment.

I'm always open for feedback. I just don't have a background to defend one side or the other for this type of discussion.
Are these bottomed out clockwise and unthreaded outwards from bottom out position when referencing said clicks?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #363

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
Pictures along the way:
Autox 01/19/20 Results. More information here.

Notes:
  • Fastest Time of the Day out of 61 drivers by 0.023 seconds. 1st in SM by 0.355 seconds. Even beat the Jr cart driver. ;)
  • Potenza RE-71R tires at 34F/22R tire pressures hot. -3.1F/-2.9R camber. Zero toe F/R.
  • Rear sway bar = firm. Front sway bar = middle.
  • Front shocks = 3 from firm. Rear shocks = 9 from firm (half way).
  • Vehicle race weight = 3220 lb (1/2 tank of fuel, no driver).
  • RE-71R tires are now at 97 runs. They are DONE.
  • Odometer 5622 miles today. Drove to the event (10 miles from home).

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
Pictures along the way:
Quick and dirty TPMS reset. More information here.

Notes:
  • If your TPMS light ever comes on for running aftermarket wheels without TPMS sensors, follow the procedure below to reset it.
  • As seen in the picture above, place your factory wheels next to the aftermarket set. It doesn't matter what wheel/tire goes at what corner.
1) Air up the factory tires to 44 psig. Place them next to the aftermarket set.
2) Get in the driver seat with the key. Press the Ignition button once without the clutch depressed to the "ON" position.
3) Push the hazard light button (6) times within 5 seconds. The horn will sound once.
4) The message screen will display "TRAIN LEFT FRONT TIRE".
5) Make sure the Left Front factory wheel/tire is close to the aftermarket one at that corner.
6) Wait until the horn sounds once. I did not need to release any pressure out. Just wait a minute or so.
7) Repeat step (6) for each message, "TRAIN RIGHT FRONT TIRE" horn, "TRAIN RIGHT REAR TIRE" horn, "TRAIN LEFT REAR TIRE" horn.
8) After the horn sounds for the left rear tire, the process is complete.

Reactions: soontors

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
Pictures along the way:
Autox 02/02/20 Results. More information here.

Notes:
  • Fastest Time of the Day out of 41 drivers by 0.279 seconds. 1st in SM by 0.279 seconds. A one two finish for the Focus RS duo!
  • Potenza RE-71R tires at 34F/21R tire pressures hot. -3.1F/-2.9R camber. Zero toe F/R.
  • Vehicle race weight = 3200 lb (1/2 tank of fuel, no driver).
  • RE-71R tires are now at 6 runs.
  • Odometer 5670 miles today. Trailered my RS to the event.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Have you messed much with the tire pressures since you moved to the RE71Rs? I'm looking for a good base point to start with and any info on what you've found.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
Have you messed much with the tire pressures since you moved to the RE71Rs? I'm looking for a good base point to start with and any info on what you've found.
I can only share what works for me on the RE-71Rs since switching to them in May 2019. Last month I switched to my 2nd set after wearing the 1st set out (97 runs). I start 34/22 psi cold with chalked tires in 4 spots. Then I check pressure and chalk after each run. Depending on wear I end up running 34/22 hot. This past weekend I dropped the rear to 21 psi to get closer to the tire edge. These pressures are much lower than others run, but it works well for me (based on my FTDs).

Reactions: BlakeS

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
Pictures along the way:
Autox 01/19/20 (late edition). More information here.

A photographer published his pictures from the 01/19/20 race today. Although not very clear, I was happy to see he got a few pictures of my drift after leaving the start gate on my 4th run. This was the first run after lunch while still on cold tires. Yes it was slow, but it was fun.

Photo set:

Quick 10 second video of the drift:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
Pictures along the way:
Autox 02/23/20 Results. More information here.

Notes:
  • 3rd fastest in Raw time behind a Kart and a Miata. 1st in SM by 0.307 seconds.
  • Potenza RE-71R tires at 34F/21R tire pressures hot. -3.1F/-2.9R camber. Zero toe F/R.
  • Vehicle race weight = 3190 lb (1/4 tank of fuel, no driver).
  • RE-71R tires are now at 12 runs.
  • Odometer passed 5700 miles today. Drove to the event (10 miles from home).

Head-to-Head comparison with my friend's heavily modified RS:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
Pictures along the way:
Oxygen Sensor Restrictor. More information here.

Notes:
  • Follow the same steps as replacing the downpipe.
  • (2) wiring plugs need to be disconnected/reconnected (front/rear oxygen sensors).
  • I used the smallest restrictor orifice out of the (3) provided in the kit.
  • After an ECU reset and 20 mile drive the Rear Oxygen Sensor is now at "Ready" status.
  • This fix may be required for downpipes with high-flow catalytic converters as well as non-catted versions.
  • The Emissions Status can be checked from the Cobb Accessport troubleshooting menu.

Reactions: Cerberos

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
Pictures along the way:
SYNC3 + Apple CarPlay. More information here.

Notes:
  • New USB Hub from Amazon = $45. Software update is free from Owner.Ford.com.
  • I used a 16GB microSD+card adapter instead of a thumbdrive. No issues.
  • (3) wiring plugs need to be disconnected/reconnected (all at hub in center console).
  • USB Hub install takes 5 mins or less. Software install typically takes 10-30 mins.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #373
Pictures along the way:
Autox 03/08/20 Results. More information here.

Notes:
  • Fastest Time of the Day out of 55 drivers by 0.462 seconds. 1st in SM by 0.462 seconds. A one two finish for the Focus RS duo!
  • Potenza RE-71R tires at 34F/20R tire pressures hot. -3.1F/-2.9R camber. Zero toe F/R.
  • Vehicle race weight = 3190 lb (just below 1/2 tank of fuel, no driver).
  • RE-71R tires are now at 18 runs.
  • Odometer 5710 miles today. Trailered my RS to the event.

Reactions: Overspooled

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love this thread.

Reactions: Hank

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
I put together a spreadsheet to document the total life of the OE clutch in my RS. I'm curious how many launches other RS owners are getting before replacement.
Current Total # of Launches (stock clutch) = 190 [SPREADSHEET LINK]

Reactions: Overspooled

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #376
Pictures along the way:
Autox 06/14/20 Results. More information here.

Notes:
  • 3rd Fastest Time of the Day out of 69 drivers behind a Piper FF (open wheel racer) and a Kart. Bumped to SSM, took 1st by 7.011 seconds.
  • Potenza RE-71R tires at 34F/24R tire pressures hot. -3.1F/-2.9R camber. Zero toe F/R.
  • Vehicle race weight = 3190 lb (just below 1/4 tank of fuel, no driver).
  • RE-71R tires are now at 23 runs.
  • Odometer 5784 miles today. Trailered my RS to the event.
  • Total launches on the stock clutch so far = 195.
  • Burton Coliseum parking lot was a very rough asphalt surface and BUMPY due to driving across parking rows (not down lanes). Think rainfall drainage.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Do you use a gimbal to film with? Dashcam or gopro?

would like to see a more rigid filming setup with less ‘smoothing’ to get a better sense of just how hard you dive into corners

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #378

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
Pictures along the way:
Autox 06/21/20 Results. More information here.

Notes:
  • 2nd Fastest Time of the Day out of 41 drivers behind a 650 HP Camaro ZL1. Took 1st in SM by 4.644 seconds.
  • Potenza RE-71R tires at 34F/23R tire pressures hot. -3.1F/-2.9R camber. Zero toe F/R.
  • Vehicle race weight = 3190 lb (just below 1/2 tank of fuel, no driver).
  • RE-71R tires are now at 29 runs.
  • Odometer 5807 miles today. Trailered my RS to the event.
  • Total launches on the stock clutch so far = 201.

Reactions: nicklulu

·
5,629 Posts
Hank,
I've noticed you track your car and am curious how is your headgasket going?
Any leaks?
Tia.

361 - 380 of 433 Posts