Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody notice the handbrake is positioned further back in the RS and 2015 focus. I have a 2014 focus ST that has the handbrake positioned right next to the shiftier. I love the position and find it quite handy for some quicker u turns with the poor turning radius of the ST.

Anyone here with a newer focus? Is it hard to reach / use?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Just use Drift mode and a boatload of throttle to pull off those quicky U-turns :)

Jim

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm considering putting a full hydro unit in mine. ;-)

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Ya I feel like I'll be under driving this car compared to most of you. Using the handbrake for u turns!? Lmao

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Do you have an ST3? It seems Ford went back to a unified console design more along the line of what came in the ST1/2.

The space where your handbrake handle is located is where the drive select, heated steering wheel, and auto start/stop buttons are.

I assume yours looks like this ST3:

And the RS looks like this:

·
Registered
287 Posts
On this topic: Can you just 'rip the E-brake yo!'? Do you need to clutch?

I was in my friend's AWD BMW in the snow, and in classic "hold my beer" fashion, he said watch this and initiated a drift with the e-brake. we were going about 30 but what freaked me out was the fact that he didn't clutch when using the e-brake. how is this even possible? i thought the front and back wheels were directly connected. Is the computer in our cars smart enough to open the center dif. if it sees you trying to use the e-brake?

are there any AWD platforms where you can not use the e-brake while moving?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
On this topic: Can you just 'rip the E-brake yo!'? Do you need to clutch?

I was in my friend's AWD BMW in the snow, and in classic "hold my beer" fashion, he said watch this and initiated a drift with the e-brake. we were going about 30 but what freaked me out was the fact that he didn't clutch when using the e-brake. how is this even possible? i thought the front and back wheels were directly connected. Is the computer in our cars smart enough to open the center dif. if it sees you trying to use the e-brake?

are there any AWD platforms where you can not use the e-brake while moving?

How is this possible?
1) Car opens the center diff (as you guessed)
2) Car doesn't open the center diff and you put a lot of wear on it

Googling the X-Drive it looks like they use a wet clutch to control front rear split so as long as the car can detect the handbrake then it can certainly open up the "diff".

" i thought the front and back wheels were directly connected."

On the RS they are but the rear wheels are each connected via independent clutch packs.

" Is the computer in our cars smart enough to open the center dif if it sees you trying to use the e-brake?"

I don't know if anyone knows that yet, but let's hope that it is. I mean that seems like something Ken B would have brought up. If it does not then it probably will lead to a little more wear on the rear clutch packs, but shouldn't be catastrophic considering that they are designed to slip. This is obviously speculation though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spot on Chrisp, I do have a ST3

New design looks roomier. I'm glad they shortened the armrest, gets in the way of shifting.

Do you have an ST3? It seems Ford went back to a unified console design more along the line of what came in the ST1/2.

The space where your handbrake handle is located is where the drive select, heated steering wheel, and auto start/stop buttons are.

I assume yours looks like this ST3:

And the RS looks like this:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
here I was hoping the armrest would be adjustable so I could slide it forward like my wifes VW lol

·
Registered
287 Posts
The new RS does not have a center diff to open.
Really? does this mean that the drive shaft will always be spinning if the front wheels are?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts