Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching this made me very excited for the RS, I think a lot of what's in that 350 will be alike in the RS! Drool.

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
The way he was getting on the gas so much earlier on the timed laps was ridiculous. I certainly wasn't expecting the 350R to win the drag race with the torque difference and the delivery. Ridonculous.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty sure there's a replacement for displacement and that's solid engineering. Like I've said, gives me very high hopes for the RS if it even has have the time spent on it as this!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm sure Chevy will up their game with the new Z28. Too bad they won't be able to do anything about the abysmal visibility though (not that the Mustang's is so great either).

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Pretty sure there's a replacement for displacement and that's solid engineering. Like I've said, gives me very high hopes for the RS if it even has have the time spent on it as this!
There really isn't no replacement for displacement though. You apply the same Tech to a larger motor as you do a smaller one and you will always make out better with a larger engine, more power across the whole line. To say you can not make a small engine as powerful as a higher displacement one is wrong, and we all know that is true. The larger displacement engine will always be able to achieve more, and it primarily comes down to efficiency. Engines are only about 30-40% efficient, there isn't a conventional engine out there that is superior when it comes to efficiency. You can add forced induction but the only way to match the TQ curve of a larger displacement engine is by twin charging or having multiple turbos. It is all about moving air and heat management.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't disagree per sey. But in this situation when comparing two cars with very different approaches the the car you expect to not win due to power differences did. Even in races that are largely determined by power numbers aka straigh line racing.

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Watching this made me very excited for the RS, I think a lot of what's in that 350 will be alike in the RS! Drool.

Honestly, I've put almost 200 miles on my 350 since getting it on Monday, and holy cow I can not wait for the RS.....seeing what ford has done with the 350 is amazing, my expectations are high for the RS and the other ford performance cars

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Personally, I think it's dumb to talk about the LS7 and the fact that it is larger in displacement than X engine. To me it is more important to discuss the physical size of the engine and weight. For example, compare the LS7 to the GT500's engine. The LS7 takes about half the space, and the LS7 weighs 400 lbs versus the GT500's engine weighing over 700 lbs. Or you could look at the Coyote 5.0, it is heavier than the 7.0 liter LS7. I didn't find the weight of the GT350's engine's weight, but I suspect around the same as the regular Coyote.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Personally, I think it's dumb to talk about the LS7 and the fact that it is larger in displacement than X engine. To me it is more important to discuss the physical size of the engine and weight. For example, compare the LS7 to the GT500's engine. The LS7 takes about half the space, and the LS7 weighs 400 lbs versus the GT500's engine weighing over 700 lbs. Or you could look at the Coyote 5.0, it is heavier than the 7.0 liter LS7. I didn't find the weight of the GT350's engine's weight, but I suspect around the same as the regular Coyote.
Comparing the trinity to the LS7 isn't a great comparison. They are two very different engines, the trinity made more power than any Chevy production built engine ever, and it was designed to push a brick to 200mph without melting.

IIRC, they don't weigh the dry sump system with the LS7, which is a lot of the reason why it's so much lighter than its other LS sisters. From what I can find, it weighs 458 with the dry sump setup, which is slightly heavier than the coyote.

I believe the 5.2 is 8lbs lighter than a coyote. I saw that number once, but I have never seen an official weight.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Comparing the trinity to the LS7 isn't a great comparison. They are two very different engines, the trinity made more power than any Chevy production built engine ever, and it was designed to push a brick to 200mph without melting.

IIRC, they don't weigh the dry sump system with the LS7, which is a lot of the reason why it's so much lighter than its other LS sisters. From what I can find, it weighs 458 with the dry sump setup, which is slightly heavier than the coyote.

I believe the 5.2 is 8lbs lighter than a coyote. I saw that number once, but I have never seen an official weight.

All good points, but you didn't bring the physical size of the motor into the discussion. The LS7 is TINY compared to the Ford overhead cam engines. The heads on those GT500s are HUGE, and the engine looks bigger than a classic 426 Hemi "elephant" engine.

Bottom line for me on this discussion is that you cannot handicap the LS7 because it's a "bigger" engine at 7.0L. The GT350 has a much more modern and physically larger design. I don't think many will question that the GT350R is a better/more advanced car at this point.

We could always talk about how inefficient the GT350 and Z/28 are when comparing to a Mazda rotary car and their displacement.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
All good points, but you didn't bring the physical size of the motor into the discussion. The LS7 is TINY compared to the Ford overhead cam engines. The heads on those GT500s are HUGE, and the engine looks bigger than a classic 426 Hemi "elephant" engine.

Bottom line for me on this discussion is that you cannot handicap the LS7 because it's a "bigger" engine at 7.0L. The GT350 has a much more modern and physically larger design. I don't think many will question that the GT350R is a better/more advanced car at this point.

We could always talk about how inefficient the GT350 and Z/28 are when comparing to a Mazda rotary car and their displacement.
I considered answering that but I didn't want to seem like I was nit-picking. Aside from engine swaps, it's largely irrelevant because the engine bays for the vehicles they come in are designed to be worked on. I thought doing shorties on my buddies Chevy truck would be a cake walk with the LQ in there, turns out it's just as big of a ***** as doing them on a modular.

And we could compare them to rotaries, but the difference is most guys won't consider a rotary due to the greatly reduced engine life, so they are usually left out.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I guess the point I was really trying to make is that displacement isn't really that big of a consideration with modern engines. In 1979, displacement meant a lot, but today with all the technology involved displacement is really just a small factor.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts