Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While looking for LED bulbs I found these: Ultinon Gen 2 Amber Signal.

These look like the bee's knees. Not available anywhere yet, but they look like an upgrade of what the old Vision series were. Built in resistor!

So I went further down this rabbit hole and looked up the UN Reg37 Group 2 equivalents for the US trade codes to make the search easier. I'm sure someone's probably searched, but I figure I'd put them up for reference.

Here they are:

BulbGroup 2 DesignationUS Trade #Base/Cap SizePhillips Link
Front IndicatorsPY21W7507BAU15sUltinon Gen 2 Amber Signal
Rear Indicators/BrakesP27/7W3157W2.5 x 16q
ReverseW16W921W2.1 x 9.5dUltinon Gen2 Signal
CorneringPSX24W2504PG20-7 (PG20-x, PGU20-x)
Sidemarkers/Mirror/TrunkW5W194/168W2.1×9.5d Ultinon Interior

Some thoughts:

It seems everywhere outside of NA, they got to use the PY21W for the rear indicator as well. It would have been convenient if we had this in the States too, cuz then we wouldn't need external resistors. I wonder if there's a way to convert it to the PY21W socket. Requires splicing, but would it seriously mess anything up? I know sod all about electrics so if anyone wants to light my path, I'd welcome the illumination. (Read: Please. Help.)

The US Ultinon bulbs are straight garbage. Overseas they seem to be using P21/5W for the brake lights. I wonder if I could get the WY21W CANbus indicator to work in our socket. (Again. Please. Help)

The cornering lights are a bit rare. Not many bulb types for that socket. The PS24W and the P24W families have the same base. Maybe that broadens the selection a bit more.

It's really annoying they went with the sockets they did for us in the back. Everywhere else on the car it's single filament, but they had to go and put two filament sockets in the tail light housing. From what I've read you can put dual filament bulbs in single filament sockets and they will work, but not the other way around.

Actually, I wonder if you're able to buy the Euro harness for the rear. I haven't been able to find it yet, if it is out there. I suppose you could buy the entire assembly but that seems a bit overkill.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So they Philips bulbs are all available on Powerbulb now.

I think this is the one most people will be concerned about: Front Indicators.

I also did some reading on the interchangeability of various sockets. I was hoping the 7440/7443 caps they use everywhere else in the world would fit the 3157 sockets we use here in NA.

No dice. The 744X caps are too shallow. But I did stumble on this hilarious post from a Japanese forum where someone was trying to sway in LEDs on their Cadillac.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
While looking for LED bulbs I found these: Ultinon Gen 2 Amber Signal.

These look like the bee's knees. Not available anywhere yet, but they look like an upgrade of what the old Vision series were. Built in resistor!

So I went further down this rabbit hole and looked up the UN Reg37 Group 2 equivalents for the US trade codes to make the search easier. I'm sure someone's probably searched, but I figure I'd put them up for reference.

Here they are:

BulbGroup 2 DesignationUS Trade #Base/Cap SizePhillips Link
Front IndicatorsPY21W7507BAU15sUltinon Gen 2 Amber Signal
Rear Indicators/BrakesP27/7W3157W2.5 x 16q
ReverseW16W921W2.1 x 9.5dUltinon Gen2 Signal
CorneringPSX24W2504PG20-7 (PG20-x, PGU20-x)
Sidemarkers/Mirror/TrunkW5W194/168W2.1×9.5d Ultinon Interior

Some thoughts:

It seems everywhere outside of NA, they got to use the PY21W for the rear indicator as well. It would have been convenient if we had this in the States too, cuz then we wouldn't need external resistors. I wonder if there's a way to convert it to the PY21W socket. Requires splicing, but would it seriously mess anything up? I know sod all about electrics so if anyone wants to light my path, I'd welcome the illumination. (Read: Please. Help.)

The US Ultinon bulbs are straight garbage. Overseas they seem to be using P21/5W for the brake lights. I wonder if I could get the WY21W CANbus indicator to work in our socket. (Again. Please. Help)

The cornering lights are a bit rare. Not many bulb types for that socket. The PS24W and the P24W families have the same base. Maybe that broadens the selection a bit more.

It's really annoying they went with the sockets they did for us in the back. Everywhere else on the car it's single filament, but they had to go and put two filament sockets in the tail light housing. From what I've read you can put dual filament bulbs in single filament sockets and they will work, but not the other way around.

Actually, I wonder if you're able to buy the Euro harness for the rear. I haven't been able to find it yet, if it is out there. I suppose you could buy the entire assembly but that seems a bit overkill.
I am assuming you are really after an LED bulb that have a built in resistor which they seem to be making more and more of. However, it is very easy to splice a resistor inline which leaves your options open to many more bulbs. Speaking of just the front turn signals, which are PY21W or 7507's you can also use an 1156. It actually will fit in our socket even though it is not designed for it. I had to use 1156 LED's when I first got the car since there were no PY21W's LED's available at the time.

About the PSX24W cornering lights, I use the CREE 80W 5000K LED's. They are the same color as the headlamps and fog lamps I have because I like all of them to match (5000K).

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am assuming you are really after an LED bulb that have a built in resistor which they seem to be making more and more of. However, it is very easy to splice a resistor inline which leaves your options open to many more bulbs. Speaking of just the front turn signals, which are PY21W or 7507's you can also use an 1156. It actually will fit in our socket even though it is not designed for it. I had to use 1156 LED's when I first got the car since there were no PY21W's LED's available at the time.

About the PSX24W cornering lights, I use the CREE 80W 5000K LED's. They are the same color as the headlamps and fog lamps I have because I like all of them to match (5000K).
I am aware of the sliced in resistors, but I'm just spending some of my free time going down unnecessary rabbit holes. I'm a big fan of Philips lighting, so I guess you could say this was more about killing time than actual practical usefulness.

Hard to splice the front, what with so little room. Plus if there's a Philips unit that's all the options I need.

P24W, PS24W, and PSX24W all have the same base I think. Trader number is 2504 I think. 5202, 5202, and possibly 9009 will likely also fit, but some adjustments might be necessary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts