Ford Focus RS Forum banner

GrimmSpeed License Plate Relocation Kit - PRODUCT RELEASE

24K views 78 replies 37 participants last post by  nicklulu 
#1 · (Edited)

For some it's purely aesthetic and for others, it's about function. The GrimmSpeed License Plate Relocation Kit offers users the ability to mount their license plate using the factory tow hook feature in the front bumper, rather than using the OEM Ford mount, which requires that three holes be drilled in the front bumper. Whether you're waiting for your car to arrive and have instructed your dealer not to drill your car or have already taken delivery and would like to clean up the airflow in front of the front mount intercooler and radiator, this is the solution for you.

Quick Specs

• No Drilling or Modification Required - Mounts cleanly using the factory tow hook hole
  • Most Adjustability on the Market - slotted plate backer and u-shaped bracket provide endless possibilities
  • Custom Mounting Bolt - cnc machined from mild steel and zinc phosphate coated for corrosion resistance
  • Stainless Steel Hardware - pre-applied thread locker ensures that you won't rattle loose
Why GrimmSpeed?

The GrimmSpeed engineering team has been developing License Plate Relocation Kits for a variety of vehicles from Subaru to Lexus, Nissan to BMW and more for nearly 10 years. With tens of thousands sold and millions of road miles, this design has withstood the test of time. Other solutions may offer little to no adjustability, paper-thin backing plates that deform with use, or main bolts that tend to corrode and get stuck inside of the vehicle. The GrimmSpeed team has thought though the smallest details, down to pre-applied thread locker to certain fasteners and providing long and short machine screws for mounting your plate, depending on whether or not you use the provided GrimmSpeed license plate frames (we hope you do!). Also included are two stainless steel spacers, should you choose to set the plate further from the front bumper.

• More Adjustability - Left, right, up, down as well as tilt and in/out with the provided spacers
  • Durability - Thick-formed aluminum backing plate and zinc phosphate coated bolt ensure protection from the elements
  • Lifetime Warranty - We stand behind our products 100%, so buy with confidence

Installation

Pricing

MSRP: $79.00
Order Here: http://www.grimmspeed.com/license-plate-relocation-kit-2016-ford-focus-rs/

The Goods

See less See more
1 5
#3 ·
Pardon if this is coming from ignorance, but I'm concerned about potential damage to the frame in case of impact. Is the bolt designed to prevent damage to the frame? Will it break with sufficient force, before force can potentially be transferred into the frame?

#4 ·
No worries! These frames (and the entire assembly) are extremely well built. The reason I say that is because if you're in a situation where the frame may be bent/damaged, you very likely have bigger problems. With that said, if you do manage to damage the frame (or any part of the assembly), we'll very happily sell you replacement pieces. If the damage is the result of a manufacturing defect, of course, the fix is on us.

We've actually seen photos from customers that have had their GrimmSpeed relocation kit prevent damage to their vehicle in small fender benders. I'm not suggesting that this is a feature or should be expected, but my point is that the frame is very durable.

I hope that helps answer your question - let me know if it doesn't!

Matt Beenen
Engineering

#7 ·
Just following you around! ;)
I like this design, but what stops the rounded bracket from spinning on the tow hook bolt? I would have expected a lock washer at the very least.
We've considered adding all sorts of washers and locks to alleviate that concern, but frankly, it just isn't a problem. If you tighten the center bolt, you're able to force the assembly around a bit, but it won't loosen during use. As an engineer, I would share your concern if it weren't for the tens of thousands of nearly identical kits in circulation without issue. Feel free to check out other fitments on our website to read reviews!

Matt Beenen
Engineering

#8 ·
@Steve - Grimmspeed is all about engineering stuff the right way. Top quality, all the time.

This grimmspeed kit has been around... for a long, long time, in the subaru world. If there was any reason to modify it, it would have been discovered and remedied long ago.
It's been installed on so many subarus, i can't even imagine the sales totals.
If there were any real issue, Grimmspeed would have heard howls and yowls from subaru community members (i'm one now, even though i don't have the kit) that they would have resolved it STAT.

;)

#11 ·
Great quality kit, Grimspeed has been around with nothing but quality for a long time now.

#20 ·
:)
Hi there. What are the dimensions of the plate mounting frame and do you have one to suit Australian plates without needing to re-drill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Jack, I'm not at my CAD workstation right now, but will check for you first thing on Monday. The mounting frame fits the US plate very, very closely. Do you happen to know the Australian plate specs? We'd certainly consider making a revision that would facilitate both if there was demand!
Looks good. Ordered one up even though it's a bajillion dollars in Canada. :playful:
Thank you! In the future (they don't have them in stock yet, I don't believe), we work closely with a business called Togue Tuning in Canada - might save you a couple bucks on shipping!
Hate to be a new but are your prices in US funds, on your website
Yes, the prices on our website are in US currency!
Got mine today, great timing. My plates came in as well. I ordered on Tuesday, Aug 23. It got here today with free shipping USPS.

View attachment 51137
View attachment 51145

I can't ask for better shipping service and packing. Thanks Andy! Thanks Cory! Thanks Grimmspeed!
Thank you for the support! I wish I could say that you received special treatment, but that's just how we work!
i'm seriously considering mounting my license plate on the back of the passenger side mirror flip down thing. Front plate just wrecks the front of these cars :/
You know, I can't disagree with you. I hate front plates also, but for a lot of people, they're a necessary evil. In fact, I don't use a front plate myself. I spend $100 every year or two on the ticket that I get as a result and I'm ok with that. Depending on your town/city/state, though, some people would be ticketed much more frequently.

Matt Beenen
Engineering

#18 ·
Got mine today, great timing. My plates came in as well. I ordered on Tuesday, Aug 23. It got here today with free shipping USPS.

Technology

Automotive exterior Vehicle registration plate Technology Bumper Electronic device

I can't ask for better shipping service and packing. Thanks Andy! Thanks Cory! Thanks Grimmspeed!

#21 ·
Let see some pictures! I would be interested to see a top down view, how close does this get the plate to the car?

#22 ·
Sure! Here's one of the plate mounted so that it's angle matches that of the front bumper most closely. It can also be mounted in a 'straight forward' manner where it hugs the front bumper insert very closely. Each kit ships with two 1/4" spacers, for those that would prefer to have it sitting a bit further from the bumper (don't ask me why, it's just a request that we get).

Matt Beenen
Engineering

Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door Vehicle Auto part

#38 ·
ordered mine! I will be using it for my european tags I have. I have a collection of them from living overseas and I dont need a front plate in TN so I like putting one of those on

#41 ·
Great stuff! Just got your front mount last week. Took all of 20 minutes to put on in-between beers, and it looks great! Like the adjustability, and with the second down from the top left mounting point it looks perfect and does not cover anything. (Examples above in other pics)
Thanks for the great photos and feedback! We're glad these are making it onto so many cars with such great success!

Matt Beenen
Engineering

#40 ·
Great stuff! Just got your front mount last week. Took all of 20 minutes to put on in-between beers, and it looks great! Like the adjustability, and with the second down from the top left mounting point it looks perfect and does not cover anything. (Examples above in other pics)

#44 ·
I have to admit, I have mine on the floor behind my passenger seat. I can't stand having a front plate on the car, but when I get pulled over, I always try "I've got this bracket here but I don't have the right screw nut turner thingy to put it on at home. I was planning on having a friend do it tomorrow." My success rate is low, but at least I try!

Matt Beenen
Engineering

#45 ·
This looks pretty trick. I have been waiting for the Raceseng one promised "later this year", but not sure that's ever going to happen. I like giving my money to companies that support enthusiast sites like FocusRS.org. Is GrimmSpeed an official vendor here?

#47 ·
Off topic as hell, but do plan to purchase once my car gets here. (procrastination for the win) Who is the "Grimm" in GrimmSpeed? Always wondered, as that's my last name. (west-coast Grimm) Thanks!

#50 · (Edited)
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper
@ [MENTION=4297]GrimmSpeed[/MENTION] just finished installing mine. Great quality. F'ing ugly on the car. I hate front license plates!! I have mine mounted over to the left of the grill, but see others have mounted closer to the grill. Will have to play. Sorry for the picture quality, no flash!
One bit of feedback. You supply the short screws for mounting the plate with no frame. Would recommend washers, as the size of the screw head is not a lot bigger than the cut out in the license plate which is not very secure. I added washers and it feels much more secure to tighten them up properly.

Reactions: GrimmSpeed
#51 ·
I won one at Focus Fest and installed it. Added 3 lockwashers on the bolt that goes to the towhook so I could slide it farther in front of the grill.

I'll be making a bushing cut at an angle with a longer bolt to get it to fit better. Overall it's very solid. Just needs to be tweaked a little.

Sorry for the crappy pic.

Will post a better one once I tweak it.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Ford Bumper

#54 ·
I won one at Focus Fest and installed it. Added 3 lockwashers on the bolt that goes to the towhook so I could slide it farther in front of the grill.

I'll be making a bushing cut at an angle with a longer bolt to get it to fit better. Overall it's very solid. Just needs to be tweaked a little.

Sorry for the crappy pic.

Will post a better one once I tweak it.

View attachment 66186
Congrats on winning it! I was wondering who got it. Nice to see it getting some use!

We owe a big thank-you to GrimmSpeed for supplying it to us to include in the raffle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.