Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed a small white mark on my front "bar" (the flat piece with the RS logo on it). Upon closer inspection it's a rock chip that has exposed the underlying material, which is apparently white plastic. Anyhow, I need to get some touch up paint, it looks like a dark gunmetal metallic flat paint. Anyone else have this issue- what paint did you use to touch it up?

Thanks!
Bill

·
Registered
294 Posts
+1 for the black sharpie. Got the **** beaten out of that piece from gravel during Alberta winter and you can barely notice anything now.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Wrap It

I had a similar problem when someone parked too close to me in a parking lot. They left 3 scratches between 1/4"-1/2". I had the bar wrapped for $120. They didn't need to remove it, covered the scratches, and I figure protection in the future from chips and dings.

Front Bumper.jpg

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had a similar problem when someone parked too close to me in a parking lot. They left 3 scratches between 1/4"-1/2". I had the bar wrapped for $120. They didn't need to remove it, covered the scratches, and I figure protection in the future from chips and dings.

View attachment 170601
Did you have the front lip wrapped as well? Do you know what product they used?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just a typical clear bra should work. Some folks opted to use XPEL Stealth, but that is a matte clear rather than true clear, if you prefer that.
My car should be arriving in the next 5 days and I've lined up a shop to do XPEL ultimate on the front bumper, full hood, side mirrors, front panels, and door edges. I don't think they are planning on doing the black part of the front bumper but perhaps I should have them do that.

·
Registered
510 Posts
May as well, if you're worried about it. Probably wouldn't cost anything more than your original quote (+ materials) if you ask nicely, since they're already working on it and all.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm not sure if Ford still does this, but they shipped the 2016 RS's with this little piece of styrofoam glued to the front bumper.

Be VERY CAREFUL removing the glue (it's very resistant) from the bumper or they will remove the matte finish as well and make it glossy. Just a heads up, you don't want Ford's monkeys to "gorilla fist" it. Have your detailer do it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Did you have the front lip wrapped as well? Do you know what product they used?
It's just 3M, Piano Black I think. It matches perfect, and looks like it did before it was scratched. Wish I had clear put clear bra on before it was scratched.

The lip isn't wrapped. At some point I may have it done to protect it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thought I'd bump this as I am looking for what has/hasn't worked for you all. Regular fine point sharpie looks decent for small spots. What about larger? Flat Black? 3-M Plano Black? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Highly recommend Xpel stealth/matte clear as a great way to protect the plastic...it is precut and fits around RS logo....less than $100 installed... $50 with a front wrap.

·
5,622 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Bump, wondering what I should do about the chips on mine. Satin black wrap or matte? If I add Stealth Xpel on the chips, it will leave air pockets right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
I got a nasty chip on my rear bumper. I'm not even sure how it happened its an inch long right on the top curve of the bumper. Could it be a paint defect that would be warrantied?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was gonna spray the bar with plasti-dip. Works great. I did it on my father’s Miata, ended up spraying a full bra on the front of his car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts