Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would say hello after registering. Been contemplating ordering an RS but couldn't pull the trigger without seeing one in person. Was visiting family in Daytona and drove over to Orlando to have a look. I happened to stop by my local ford dealership before ordering opened up and put one together with the sales guy. well, the dealership had 2 allocations and they submitted the car I put together thinking I might come back. well, I plan on going in this weekend and putting the $ down. was really looking for a zl1 camaro, but my son was all about the nitrous blue. I also drive an 09 mazdaspeed 3 so it should be a smooth transition to this car. very similar engine and have had good luck with my mzr for 175k miles. I will stop rambling and get onto learning more on the fueling and what will need to be done on the rs. If there isnt any fuel wash through the intake, prepare yourselves, that's all I can say. I've become proficient in valve cleanings and will build the rs up with meth or 5th port.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Welcome! No fuel wash through the manifold since this is direct injection. What problems have you had in this area?

Jim

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Welcome! No fuel wash through the manifold since this is direct injection. What problems have you had in this area?

Jim
With no fueling spraying across the intake valves(like traditional port injection) there is a gradual build up of carbon in the intake/intake port of the cylinder head. The only real way to clean this is to pull the intake manifold and blast the port with an engine safe media(usually walnut shells.) Some people have had varying degrees if success with using a cleaner being sucked through a vacuum line into the intake to clean them but it's not that effective.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Figured I would say hello after registering. Been contemplating ordering an RS but couldn't pull the trigger without seeing one in person. Was visiting family in Daytona and drove over to Orlando to have a look. I happened to stop by my local ford dealership before ordering opened up and put one together with the sales guy. well, the dealership had 2 allocations and they submitted the car I put together thinking I might come back. well, I plan on going in this weekend and putting the $ down. was really looking for a zl1 camaro, but my son was all about the nitrous blue. I also drive an 09 mazdaspeed 3 so it should be a smooth transition to this car. very similar engine and have had good luck with my mzr for 175k miles. I will stop rambling and get onto learning more on the fueling and what will need to be done on the rs. If there isnt any fuel wash through the intake, prepare yourselves, that's all I can say. I've become proficient in valve cleanings and will build the rs up with meth or 5th port.
First.... Welcome!!!

Next, let's talk about the carbon problem. I believe someone has already started a 'Catch Can' thread. But I want to hear what you have to say on this. One of my buddies in the Audi world who has a big enough brain to run the universe on it's spare time, has talked to me at length about adding a port to clean carbon. (Since with these new communist designs, we don't have the assistance of FUEL to do so). Anyway, I bumped into a very informative YouTube video about the subject, which a few hundred thousand people have also read. Here>>

Some people will bash this dude, but I actually welcome his input. Catch can is #1 on my mod list, but I'm also VERY interested in looking into additional means.. like possibly a meth injector to clean all that crap up.

Oh, and good choice on skipping the ZL1 Camaro. I've owned 6 Camaro's in my life, and always thought that if they ever made a new one, I'd HAVE to own one. But then there was the whole Government Motors thing... so I never even sat in one. I had the unfortunate opportunity to sit in one a couple months ago, and the interior (Hell.... just the f'n DOOR) was enough that I could never own one. I wouldn't buy one half price if given a chance. I will say it's only the second car that would have passed me on track, if the session hadn't ended. They are fast.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
First.... Welcome!!!

Next, let's talk about the carbon problem. I believe someone has already started a 'Catch Can' thread. But I want to hear what you have to say on this. One of my buddies in the Audi world who has a big enough brain to run the universe on it's spare time, has talked to me at length about adding a port to clean carbon. (Since with these new communist designs, we don't have the assistance of FUEL to do so). Anyway, I bumped into a very informative YouTube video about the subject, which a few hundred thousand people have also read. Here>>

Some people will bash this dude, but I actually welcome his input. Catch can is #1 on my mod list, but I'm also VERY interested in looking into additional means.. like possibly a meth injector to clean all that crap up.
Catch can won't prevent carbon buildup. It's a combination of different carbon sources(PCV, turbo, reversion from the combustion chamber.)

Methanol injection may or may not help. Just one or two nozzles in the cold side of the intercooler piping isn't going to do the job. Direct port meth injection can help but it's not aggressive enough to clean ports already gunked up. It's a good preventative measure.

Stacking a port fuel injection setup using a sandwich plate between the intake manifold and head is the best over all solution. It's expensive and overkill just for cleaning the valves but for people wanting to run E85 or make a lot of horsepower on pump gas then it's a great solution because it supplies fuel AND helps with the valve build up.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Catch can won't prevent carbon buildup. It's a combination of different carbon sources(PCV, turbo, reversion from the combustion chamber.)

Methanol injection may or may not help. Just one or two nozzles in the cold side of the intercooler piping isn't going to do the job. Direct port meth injection can help but it's not aggressive enough to clean ports already gunked up. It's a good preventative measure.

Stacking a port fuel injection setup using a sandwich plate between the intake manifold and head is the best over all solution. It's expensive and overkill just for cleaning the valves but for people wanting to run E85 or make a lot of horsepower on pump gas then it's a great solution because it supplies fuel AND helps with the valve build up.
I was thinking of using a catch can, for various reasons... and to help with this. And the possibility of adding an injector for each cylinder. My buddy had an intake manifold custom made with additional ports, which was beautiful. Brutally expensive, but very nice. He was going to run a water/meth mix for cleaning IIRC. But my memory sucks, so I could be off on that. I don't pretend to fully understand this problem, but I sure would like to find a way to at least minimize it.

This won't be my main go-fast toy, but I'd like to make it a strong DD kind of car. Maybe add on any Mountune goodies I can within warranty, and keep it reliable/fun. Without overpowering and f'n up the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts