Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 2016, the one I posted about in the RS Discussion section. Here: Used RS test drive video
I'll post some pics when I take some. I have a coolant pressure tester, does anyone know what psi should I pump the system to?
I plan on taking it to a ford dealer for a 'general inspection' to look at the known areas of concern. I kind of what them to scope the cylinders just for my own peace of mind. Is this paranoia?

Thanks for letting me join this amazing community.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Hey dude, welcome.

Your head gasket is likely fine. If you're not puffing sweet smelling white vapor from the exhaust pipes on startup your head gasket is(probably) alright.

Here's the TSB information:

This is the specific information you're looking for:
Font Screenshot Number Document

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yea, actually; seeing's how the weather generally moves west to east through us onto the poor folks in Ontario..................................

We should probably keep OUR cold *** weather to ourselves! (y)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey dude, welcome.

Your head gasket is likely fine. If you're not puffing sweet smelling white vapor from the exhaust pipes on startup your head gasket is(probably) alright.

Here's the TSB information:

This is the specific information you're looking for:
View attachment 356316
Thanks for posting that. I did a coolant pressure test myself. The adapter I had for the degas tank didn't seem to fit very well, but I was able to hold pressure. Around 1.5psi loss in 5 hours. So that's good news.
I could feel the hg rivet with my fingers when I went to look at the car, but it took me many attempts to actually get a visual with my phone.
Tints and shades Auto part Eyelash Automotive mirror Windshield

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus RS Nitrous Blue
22 Posts
I could feel the hg rivet with my fingers when I went to look at the car, but it took me many attempts to actually get a visual with my phone.
What is this head gasket rivet? You posted about head gaskets on my other post and now I want to double check, since I don't have any paperwork confirming, but I was assured by the dealer it was done.

I have steam (condensation from the exhaust, I assume) on start-up, but I'm not sure I know the smell of burning coolant. I looked at some videos though and mine definitely doesn't look like smoke. Haven't noticed any coolant loss either. It's reminded me I should call the dealer and see if they can give me some information.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is this head gasket rivet? You posted about head gaskets on my other post and now I want to double check, since I don't have any paperwork confirming, but I was assured by the dealer it was done.

I have steam (condensation from the exhaust, I assume) on start-up, but I'm not sure I know the smell of burning coolant. I looked at some videos though and mine definitely doesn't look like smoke. Haven't noticed any coolant loss either. It's reminded me I should call the dealer and see if they can give me some information.

This video is very helpful in locating the gasket and identifying the major problem with the mk3 RS. For me it was easier to find the rivet with my hand than a pic like he does in this video, the pic I have above took forever. Toward the air filter side of the engine, between the block and the head you should feel the gasket stick out, you're feeling for a raised circle. It has to feel raised because the old/wrong gasket has holes as well, just no rivet. You can also check your engine build date, like he mentions in the video to see if yours came with the correct gasket to begin with.

Was there a carfax report with your car? Not that carfax is perfect, but, my carfax had the head gasket procedure (with all maintenance at the same dealer) listed and I called that dealer to confirm. I don't know if Ford keeps their service records 'globally' or with individual dealers, so I'm not sure if you would need to contact the exact dealer that worked on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks!! That's super helpful. My engine build date is 16K19, which is October 19, 2016 I take it? So pre-recall, but I checked as per the video and I can feel the embossed/rivet hole. So in theory, I should be good and I was told the correct information when purchasing. Even managed to grab a picture:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Wood Nut

I'm still going to reach out to the dealer to see what they can give me as far as service history goes. I imagine there's some sort of global service reporting via VIN, since the FordPass app will update with services you had done regardless of the dealer. It's not detailed, but hopefully if I request it they can provide something.

My CarFax wasn't hugely detailed for services. It listed 8 service records (including two Krown undercoating and the Pre-Delivery inspection). Some didn't have details, but a few of the early ones (up to March 2018) were for "Coolant System Checked", "Brakes Checked", "Noise Checked", and "Four Wheel Alignment Performed". Then there was a service in June 2018, 2-3 months & only 20km later, from the same dealer, but with no service details. It doesn't say HG, but I have a hunch that might've been it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome news. Your picture is so clear, I failed too many times. Mine has a block heater installed and it hooks up near there, I think the extra wiring is blocking the view. If you don't mind, how much did you pay for it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I must have got lucky on the picture, I took about 4 or 5 and one turned out. I don't think my block heater is installed, the kit is still in the bag under the hatch floor. Is the block heater worth installing in Southern Ontario? I can think of maybe 2 days last winter we went below -10C here. I've never used a block heater on my other vehicles, and I've never had trouble starting even at -20C. If it's going to make a big difference on reducing strain on the engine during cold days I'll definitely look at installing it though.

I paid about $39500 pre-tax (Canadian dollars of course). That included a brand new set of tires as well, though I was missing the factory winter tires. It feels somewhat crazy to pay that much for a used vehicle, but considering the way the market is right now, and the fact that the RS is becoming rather collectible, it seems on par. Most other RS I've seen for sale (before and after purchasing) were almost all listed for more, and had at least 20,000km more. The private list prices were sitting around $46K and dealers around $44K for similar 2017's with more km's. The window sticker in my car showed MSRP north of $51K when new.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Block heater. I really don't know, I've never used one either.

Sounds like a good deal for this current market. Someone will look back on this post and either think we were crazy or got a great deal. I paid $36k (pre-tax Canadian dollars) for a black 2016 with 49,000km. Also included new tires. All the listings are like you said, $44k+ with even more mileage. Some of them are 2018's, I see the appeal of a 2018 over a 16-17 because of the upgrades and fixed HG, but the listings don't even mention that so what is the thinking?

Did you look for anything else? I was looking at the type r and sti, but used ones are asking over msrp. The RS seems to be a little under the radar, at least in this area.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Someone will look back on this post and either think we were crazy or got a great deal.
Haha those are my thoughts exactly, it's hard to say. You mention the Type R and STI are both listing over MSRP, so compartively speaking we didn't do too bad. The used car market goes up and down like crazy. For a long time I was in the market for a BMW E30, but over the last few years they've jumped from $3-6,000 for a decent one, to over $20,000! However, it seems the sellers have realized no one wants to pay $20k for a clapped out 30 year old car, and so the prices have come down since. But at the end of the day, I bought the RS because I really like the car and I want to drive & enjoy it.

I did look around a bit, but I was intitially looking at new cars in the $30-40k range. I had some seat time in the Toyota 86/Scion FRS and I really liked it, so I was going to look into the new GR86 when it released later this year. But for something that sees daily driver use, having so little space is kind of a letdown. I also took a look at the new Bronco (I know, kind of the opposite end of the spectrum haha), but they're pretty much sold out till 2023 I'm told. I've always had a thing for hot hatches/wagons, so I started looking in the lightly used market at some Focus ST's, but I always really liked the RS when I saw them new. It never really crossed my mind to look for a used one until I saw a few pop up locally. Ended up buying the second RS I looked at, as the first one (SG 2017, 65,000km) sold before I could make up my mind. If I remember correctly, that one was also listed about the same price I paid, on original tires with no winters included.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was going to wait until spring when "the next gen of all the sporty cars in this price range are released and the used prices will drop down" I told myself. But the more I read, the next gens are a lot farther away, with chip shortages etc. The next gen type R and STi won't be released until MY2023 and the who knows when the wrx and GR86/BRZ will be available at dealerships without a huge markup. The used market might stay where it is or even go up until then. So I decided that waiting wouldn't be beneficial and went for it. Hopefully we made good decisions lol not so much in terms of price, but in terms of buying decently reliable (not money pit) cars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yea who knows what the next year will look like for pricing (new and used). I just saw a post with someone saying they saw some FoST in their area for $30k+, US Dollars, which is more than what you paid, and not too far from what I paid! Whether they are selling for that is a different story, but crazy nonetheless.

At the end of the day, they're still relatively new, only 4-5 year old cars. Hopefully still young enough that if we keep up on maintenance now and catch any potential problems early they'll run trouble-free for a long time. Knock-on wood, but I've never had a car that dramatically failed or had major issues. Regular oil changes, fluid changes, and the replacement of wear parts (suspension, steering, brakes, and tires) has kept things rolling smoothly for me! I've accepted that all cars are basically money pits (some more than others lol), but only in the sense that you'll almost never see a return on your investment in dollar value. That being said, I get enjoyment out of wrenching and driving, so it's a cost (to a degree) that I can live with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts