Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 FoRS (Stock)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I’m AJ and reside in NY. I have had a 2002 Scooby (stock) for the last 9-years, and it still runs great even with 173xxx miles under the hood. Trouble is, with all things mechanical, the ride is a bit harsh due to weakened chassis (I believe).

I’m thinking of upgrading and always wanted a Focus RS, and fortunately, I found one near me and have scheduled a test drive on 05-June 2020–if it’s as practical as my Scooby, or even close to it, I will make the deal (pending $$ negotiations). Until then, I’m still learning about the ride, and would love to absorb as much needed info as possible to start off on the right foot (maybe pun intended?).

I actually started with the big one: head gasket issue, which fortunately for me, has been addressed and replaced. The car I’m eyeballing has 30k miles as is and I’m sure it’s been driven hard given the nature of the beast. My concerns range from timing belts replacement, if I need to, and other critical details that I need to address before I make the purchase.

Any help/advise is greatly appreciated!

Cheers everyone and looking forward to joining the FFrs “club”.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just check under the car for oil leaks around the timing cover and coming down from the back of the turbo if the head gasket was replaced.

Look for any kind of mods the previous owner might have done or re installed the stock parts.

Check all the usual things when buying a used car especially a performance model. Check oil on dip stick, check brake fluid with a tester, check for any potential damage from an accident reported or not.

The timing chain is not a big thing to worry about. The fuel filter should be changed every

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Phord

·
Registered
2017 FoRS (Stock)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just check under the car for oil leaks around the timing cover and coming down from the back of the turbo if the head gasket was replaced.

Look for any kind of mods the previous owner might have done or re installed the stock parts.

Check all the usual things when buying a used car especially a performance model. Check oil on dip stick, check brake fluid with a tester, check for any potential damage from an accident reported or not.

The timing chain is not a big thing to worry about. The fuel filter should be changed every

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I’ve done the CARFAX reports and it has reported no accident or damages and I didn’t see any modifications other than new tires recently mounted and balanced.

When it comes to mods, would the dealer be able to provide the details??

Cheers for the info—greatly appreciate it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts