Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That's one bad leak...
Looks like coolant.
Hope its a quick fix at your local dealer.

:)
I know it's not coolant because the coolant is red/pink. It starts dumping the green liquid when I turn the A/C max on. I really hope it's the A/C because I'll be driving it 6 hours tomorrow *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
459 Posts
A/C oil that runs in your AC lines looks like that teenage mutant ninja turtles liquid. Where your defining the location is at the TXV valve or valve where the coolant lines enter the firewall. That would be my guess. Either a cracked A/C line or not tq. But for real AC liquid is like radioactive green if that's the color your seeming that's it. About 4 years ago car companies went from an all compressed R-134 with a small amount of green oil to keep the joining rubber o rings from drying and cracking to a system that now consists of 2 elements, a liquid side which is full of neon green fluid and a compressed side that is full of another type of air. It's colder and more efficient on compressors. That's my best guess. Well not a guess that's how it's been done since the focus was launched anyway.

KEEP YOU AC OFF YOU WILL KILL Your COMPRESSOR AND IDLERLER PULLY.

Nitrous Blue RS2

·
Registered
63 Posts
I know it's not coolant because the coolant is red/pink. It starts dumping the green liquid when I turn the A/C max on. I really hope it's the A/C because I'll be driving it 6 hours tomorrow *fingers crossed*
I'm not sure I'd want to drive that for 6 hours. If for some reason the A/C comes on, such as if it rains and you need the defoggers, the compressor will start. If it runs completely out of oil, it may seize and throw the drive belt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The compressors now a days are smart enough not to cause damage, once the freon leaks past a certain point the compressor won't try to engage.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm not sure I'd want to drive that for 6 hours. If for some reason the A/C comes on, such as if it rains and you need the defoggers, the compressor will start. If it runs completely out of oil, it may seize and throw the drive belt.
Does using the front defoggers use the ac? I noticed when turning on the front defogger the ac light doesnt turn on?

·
Registered
30 Posts
A/C oil that runs in your AC lines looks like that teenage mutant ninja turtles liquid. Where your defining the location is at the TXV valve or valve where the coolant lines enter the firewall. That would be my guess. Either a cracked A/C line or not tq. But for real AC liquid is like radioactive green if that's the color your seeming that's it. About 4 years ago car companies went from an all compressed R-134 with a small amount of green oil to keep the joining rubber o rings from drying and cracking to a system that now consists of 2 elements, a liquid side which is full of neon green fluid and a compressed side that is full of another type of air. It's colder and more efficient on compressors. That's my best guess. Well not a guess that's how it's been done since the focus was launched anyway.

KEEP YOU AC OFF YOU WILL KILL Your COMPRESSOR AND IDLERLER PULLY.

Nitrous Blue RS2

Where in the world did you come up with this??? LMAO The oil in the system is to lubricate the compressor internals, the green is dye added to the system to aid in leak detection. The system has a low pressure side switch and a high pressure side switch, low pressure switch to prevent evaporator from icing. The high side switch to keep it from going over (generally) 350psi, a precaution to keep from losing the refrigerant to the atmosphere and popping off the pressure relief on the compressor itself due to lack of air flow (IE: cooling fan quits working when sitting in traffic) Might want to look up A/C system operation before posting this misinformation.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So I made the 6 hour drive to wv today with the defrost on the whole time. It seems to still be working fine. When I stopped at a gas station, I only saw a puddle of water and no green stuff. I'm still going to bring it in to the dealer to get checked just in case. On a side note, a guy in a nice white Audi S4 with some nice VMR wheels pulled up and asked to check out the car! Not used to getting attention like this haha.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Dealer checked it this morning. It was a tiny coolant leak from a hose near the turbo. They cleaned it and it's not currently leaking and they couldnt find where the leak is. Coolant levels are good so they told me to drive it and bring it back tomorrow so they can check the hose again.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Mechanics at the dealer these days and their terrible diag skills...

Hopefully you get a competient one next time to fix your issue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'm hoping it was just that the hoses hadn't "broken in" yet and now that they've been through several heat cycles it's now sealed. I'll give another update when I bring it in again tomorrow

·
Registered
188 Posts
Dealer checked it this morning. It was a tiny coolant leak from a hose near the turbo. They cleaned it and it's not currently leaking and they couldnt find where the leak is. Coolant levels are good so they told me to drive it and bring it back tomorrow so they can check the hose again.
If the coolant is Pink <--which you said you saw yourself.. then its not coolant leak. Id take it to a different dealer....

Mechanics at the dealer these days and their terrible diag skills...

Hopefully you get a competient one next time to fix your issue.
\

^--this

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
That is interesting. My room mate in college has an ST and it came with a coolant leak at the turbo. It was never enough to drip onto the ground but his whole turbocharger is hideously corroded because it continued to leak coolant onto the housing for the four years that it took for him to spot it. I wonder if this is a common problem with the Ecoboost fours.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
A 'technician' (there's a difference) would've pressurized the system if he suspected a coolant leak. Telling you to drive another day with a leak is bad practice. But hey, it's under warranty.

He could've also used the proper steps to find an a/c leak. All could've been done under the hour of diag and still made time.

People just get lazy and would rather move onto something else that would make them money. If you keep getting the run around you can request that the foreman look at your car. They're usually on salary and have the knowledge to properly fix your car.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm hoping it was just that the hoses hadn't "broken in" yet and now that they've been through several heat cycles it's now sealed. I'll give another update when I bring it in again tomorrow
Hi Arrowstomper,

I do hope that this issue has been resolved, but if you continue to experience this, or any future concerns, please send us a message. We'll provide any assistance possible on our end.

Jeff

·
5,625 Posts
Wow,
Ford reps on focusrs.org
:)

21 - 40 of 45 Posts