Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looks like there is some green fluid leaking under the passenger side close to the wheel. It's in the same spot as the water dripping from using the front defrost. Any idea what this could be? I have the air on front defrost with the ac off. about 280 miles on the car. IMG_6507 2.JPG IMG_4904.JPG

Well I'm no mechanic but I just looked under the hood and found this. It's a picture of the firewall on the passenger side. Looks like whatever is leaking is splashed against it. IMG_8161.JPG

·
Registered
468 Posts
Could be a little overflow of antifreeze. Is it oily with a distinct odor? I don't know where the overflow is on the RS, hopefully soon will chime in if it's anywhere near that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried smelling it but i'm not getting any smell. I checked the fluids under the hood and they look good. The coolant is red? the fluid looks very thin but I haven't touched it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
It wouldn't be coolant as I'm sure the RS uses the orange lifetime coolant that comes in most Fords these days. After time I have heard that it changes to a slightly pink color.

Maybe coming from your other car?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It wouldn't be coolant as I'm sure the RS uses the orange lifetime coolant that comes in most Fords these days. After time I have heard that it changes to a slightly pink color.

Maybe coming from your other car?
I know it's from this car because my friend actually noticed it in his driveway. Then i checked under the car in my garage and saw the spots. I didn't see it yesterday or the day before. Only after washing the car. I'm hoping there was just some green residue that is dripping with the condensation coming from the a/c. Fluid levels look good and all the gauges in the car show good readings.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think it's from the AC... I remember someone in the ST forums having the same green oily fluid.

Look under the car or check around the compressor.
This actually sounds logical. The freon + R134A Oil for lubrication comes out green. If there is an o-ring that is cracked or pinched it would leak like this.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It's from the AC.

·
Registered
211 Posts
yep, a/c oil is your typical brownish oil, but they always include a fluorescent dye to help with detecting leaks, which makes the fluid green. If you have any blue or uv led's anywhere you can use that to see if the fluid fluoresces. could also wipe it up with a towel and bring it to a dealer and they can check it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep, a/c oil is your typical brownish oil, but they always include a fluorescent dye to help with detecting leaks, which makes the fluid green. If you have any blue or uv led's anywhere you can use that to see if the fluid fluoresces. could also wipe it up with a towel and bring it to a dealer and they can check it.
would this leak even though I haven't used the A/C? other than the first day I got the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you have a small black light, shine it over the drips. If it glows a neon green then it's the florescent dye they put in the A/C system to detect leaks.... If it's leaking from that area it's a sign of your evaporator core may be leaking freon.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have a small black light, shine it over the drips. If it glows a neon green then it's the florescent dye they put in the A/C system to detect leaks.... If it's leaking from that area it's a sign of your evaporator core may be leaking freon.
looked under the car with a flash light and holy moly there's green everywhere!

IMG_7846.JPG
IMG_3853.JPG
IMG_1887.JPG

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I turned on the car, turned on A/C to max, and it started dripping like mad. Turned off a/c and it stopped dripping. Looks like it's the A/C which is a relief. I was worried the engine was leaking oil. I made the earliest appointment available at the dealer. Only thing is i have to make the 6 hour drive back to Morgantown, WV tomorrow T.T

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I turned on the car, turned on A/C to max, and it started dripping like mad. Turned off a/c and it stopped dripping. Looks like it's the A/C which is a relief. I was worried the engine was leaking oil. I made the earliest appointment available at the dealer. Only thing is i have to make the 6 hour drive back to Morgantown, WV tomorrow T.T
I was under the impression that you could get warranty work done at any ford dealer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was under the impression that you could get warranty work done at any ford dealer.
Yes. I actually got the car from a dealership in Syracuse, NY. But I have to go back to Morgantown, WV tomorrow because I have work in WV on Tuesday :/. I'll be bringing the car in to the dealership in Morgantown. I'm really hoping it's just the A/C system (which the green fluid seems to point to) because I'll be driving 6 hours tomorrow.

·
5,625 Posts
That's one bad leak...
Looks like coolant.
Hope its a quick fix at your local dealer.

:)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts