Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
One big issue now is worst time to buy a new car with the chip shortage the GR will possibly be sold at 5k or more above MSRP. For perspective I paid 35K for my new 2017 RS1 (2k below MSRP). 40K+ for Corolla GR is hard sale.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,507 Posts
One big issue now is worst time to buy a new car with the chip shortage the GR will possibly be sold at 5k or more above MSRP. For perspective I paid 35K for my new 2017 RS1 (2k below MSRP). 40K+ for Corolla GR is hard sale.
I think regardless, chip shortage or not, dealers will be trying to get a markup on a car like this. Could also depend on the region. Here in CA, there are plenty of people that have more money than brains. I couldn't find a single dealer (SoCal AND NorCal) that would be willing to sell me a RS even AT MSRP! Even when I told them I could walk in with cash and pay for the whole dang thing. They all wanted $5K-$10K ADM (you can check out the ADM dealer thread that was on here when the RS was new). Fortunately, another member in here had told me their dealer in Baltimore had allocations available at MSRP, so I ended up buying from a dealer out of state and having the car courtesy delivered.

But yeah, I agree ADMs are stupid. But there's a reason dealers have them, and I don't blame them. If people are willing to pay it, why not try and get away with it?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Please don't have a tri-tip exhaust. Don't put two through the center either, I really dislike center exit exhausts.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Please don't have a tri-tip exhaust. Don't put two through the center either, I really dislike center exit exhausts.
Agreed, I always said it looks like the car has an a**hole. The corvette is the only car I find where it looks somewhat ok.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The starting MSRP alone will be over 40k guaranteed. Now add the dealer markups which will be even worse than usual due to the rarity of a true performance Toyota product and you're looking at 50k+. Keep in mind that new Golf Rs are selling for more than that right now. The GR Corolla is going to be even more high demand than both the Golf R and Civic Type R.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I couldn't find a single dealer (SoCal AND NorCal) that would be willing to sell me a RS even AT MSRP! Even when I told them I could walk in with cash and pay for the whole dang thing.
For future reference, saying you will pay full price in cash never helps during negotations with dealerships. They would much rather lock you into a long financing plan.

·
Premium Member
7,189 Posts
For future reference, saying you will pay full price in cash never helps during negotations with dealerships. They would much rather lock you into a long financing plan.
I completely agree since I went through this getting my daughter's car last May:

• Negotiated the most I can put part of it on the credit card. I get points using my card and the dealer thought I have no cash.
  • Negotiated the most I can knock out off retail, rebates....... I squeezed as much as I can deal out to invoice.
  • Once at the finance office and signing the papers, reviewing the misc stuff (Siruis XM, extended warranty, accessories), then its time to get the cat out of the bag.
They try to convince me to finance it even just for 6 months, ultra low APR and very low monthly (since the term is 8 yrs)...... so and so.

I told gave them a check for the remaining (after the $3,000 dp form the cc), then I told them if give me a week to think about getting it finance.

After 3 days I called them and cash the check.

Truth be told I could have gotten $500 cheaper if my daughter held her thought a bit at the end of the negotiations.

Still got a good deal.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Dealerships get paid to finance through certain lenders. They also don’t like hearing you have your own financing. When I was looking for a decent used car there were many lots that flat out refused to sell a car for cash. Which didn’t make sense until I found out how much they made fleecing people with financing. I learned to not mention anything about how I would pay until after we had locked in a deal.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I completely agree since I went through this getting my daughter's car last May:

• Negotiated the most I can put part of it on the credit card. I get points using my card and the dealer thought I have no cash.
  • Negotiated the most I can knock out off retail, rebates....... I squeezed as much as I can deal out to invoice.
  • Once at the finance office and signing the papers, reviewing the misc stuff (Siruis XM, extended warranty, accessories), then its time to get the cat out of the bag.
They try to convince me to finance it even just for 6 months, ultra low APR and very low monthly (since the term is 8 yrs)...... so and so.

I told gave them a check for the remaining (after the $3,000 dp form the cc), then I told them if give me a week to think about getting it finance.

After 3 days I called them and cash the check.

Truth be told I could have gotten $500 cheaper if my daughter held her thought a bit at the end of the negotiations.

Still got a good deal.
Had a very similar situation buying a car for my daughter (CPO VW) - after giving one of the dealers my price he refused to take it but after some back and forth told me that he'd do it if I financed through them. I wasn't interested and went to another dealer (this was before car prices went crazy and there was plenty of inventory) and got another car. At the end, the original dealer kept the car for an extra month and sold it below my offer but I'm super happy with the one we got.

Funny thing is long-term I could make 30% on either of them now with this crazy market...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Today I called a local Toyota dealer and put my name at top of the waiting list. I was, after all, the first nerd to call and inquire about the Corolla GR. If things keep looking up for it I will purchase one as my daily driver. My RS will forever be an autox beast.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,507 Posts
Today I called a local Toyota dealer and put my name at top of the waiting list. I was, after all, the first nerd to call and inquire about the Corolla GR. If things keep looking up for it I will purchase one as my daily driver. My RS will forever be an autox beast.
I'm debating doing the same actually. The more I think about it, the more I want it. Especially since this may very well be the last of its kind.

Reactions: Crystals

·
Premium Member
7,189 Posts
Well Tsuchiya Sensei says FasterClass is open:

😁😁

In all seriousness though, the GR Rolla looks good..... chip shortages sucks and you know dealers will mark up the s**t out of it.

Reactions: Crystals

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm debating doing the same actually. The more I think about it, the more I want it. Especially since this may very well be the last of its kind.
Same here, but I’ll wait to see if it lives up to the hype. I was set on the Nissan Z to either replace or complement the RS (hopefully complement!), but now I’m not so sure. Like the Ford RS cars, I’ve lusted over the Nissan Z cars since I was a kid. I’d probably be in one right now if Ford had not decided to finally bless us with the RS. Also the Civic Type R is looking nice so far…

Truth be told, I’d buy them all if I could.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts