Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know it's a safety issue blah, blah, blah but is there a way the GPS can be used whilst driving? Massive pita to pull over on Eastlink you know what I mean!!!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I'm glad I didn't get the RS2 package more so now hearing this. I hate GPS units that have cutouts built in to disable input while moving. Now just for Ford to release the Sync 3 update and allow me to mirror Waze on to my screen.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'm glad I didn't get the RS2 package more so now hearing this. I hate GPS units that have cutouts built in to disable input while moving. Now just for Ford to release the Sync 3 update and allow me to mirror Waze on to my screen.
Yep, didn't get it for the Nav though, got it for the heated goodies. That heated steering wheel is going to be so nice when I'm leaving class in a few months and it's dropping into the single digits outside.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I am not a fan of the voice control in a car but when compared to the type method on the screen, voice is much easier. Also, you can only not enter a new destination. Your favorites and previous destinations are still available. So it isn't that bad. (Except when you have a passenger, since the car knows when you have one. It should override the restriction.)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I've never had it deny me the opportunity to input a destination via voice. I haven't ever paid attention to whether or not there is physically someone in the passenger seat, though. My frustration is that Sync 3 makes a big deal about being able to search for points of interest by name instead of just by address, but it can never seem to find anything that I'm looking for. Although I guess it did find a Walgreens in Miami once.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I am not a fan of the voice control in a car but when compared to the type method on the screen, voice is much easier. Also, you can only not enter a new destination. Your favorites and previous destinations are still available. So it isn't that bad. (Except when you have a passenger, since the car knows when you have one. It should override the restriction.)
Does it have a weight sensor or does it "assume" so via seatbelt latch being clicked in?

I obviously don't have many passengers in my RS now that my daughter is back in California for the school year

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yep, didn't get it for the Nav though, got it for the heated goodies. That heated steering wheel is going to be so nice when I'm leaving class in a few months and it's dropping into the single digits outside.
I have cold hand syndrome...lol, I've already been using mine these past days in this beautiful Michigan weather we're having lol

·
Registered
421 Posts
Neither, it senses when the car is moving.
No, he is asking about how does the car know a passenger is in the front seat...

There is a pressure sensor in the bottom. Above about 5lbs, the car requires the seatbelt to be latched. If it is not, the annoying bell goes off and the airbag is deactivated once moving. (Gets deactivated because an airbag impact without a seatbelt is quite deadly.)

Sent from Mobile.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
No, he is asking about how does the car know a passenger is in the front seat...

There is a pressure sensor in the bottom. Above about 5lbs, the car requires the seatbelt to be latched. If it is not, the annoying bell goes off and the airbag is deactivated once moving. (Gets deactivated because an airbag impact without a seatbelt is quite deadly.)

Sent from Mobile.

Thanks for the answer - there's a company that makes an aftermarket latch that you can just click in to avoid that annoying beep. The cheaper alternative would be to go to a junk yard and find a late model focus/ford (I'm assuming all late model fords have the same latch?) and just cut it out of the junked car and make your own "passenger alert disable latch"

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks for the answer - there's a company that makes an aftermarket latch that you can just click in to avoid that annoying beep. The cheaper alternative would be to go to a junk yard and find a late model focus/ford (I'm assuming all late model fords have the same latch?) and just cut it out of the junked car and make your own "passenger alert disable latch"
You can just wire in a switch inline to the wires which go to the belt sensor. You just have to figure out if NO or NC is passenger_yes , or passenger_no. But there aren't many reasons to do this. In fact I can only think one: I used to put my slightly heavy backpack on the front seat when traveling to work. It would register the weight off and on which was annoying until I fastened the belt properly.

But I wouldn't do this just to get around not wearing the belt. I've seen pics of what happens when people have done this. The airbag will either break your neck, or it will crush you... When you penetrate the windshield (head/upper chest through) the airbag is nice enough to crush you against the upper frame of the windshield as a lesson to not disrespect physics.

Sent from Mobile.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
You can just wire in a switch inline to the wires which go to the belt sensor. You just have to figure out if NO or NC is passenger_yes , or passenger_no. But there aren't many reasons to do this. In fact I can only think one: I used to put my slightly heavy backpack on the front seat when traveling to work. It would register the weight off and on which was annoying until I fastened the belt properly.

But I wouldn't do this just to get around not wearing the belt. I've seen pics of what happens when people have done this. The airbag will either break your neck, or it will crush you... When you penetrate the windshield (head/upper chest through) the airbag is nice enough to crush you against the upper frame of the windshield as a lesson to not disrespect physics.

Sent from Mobile.
That's not the intent of what I was referencing...it's to do exactly what you stated, without hacking up the wiring. It's a simple/easy fix to an annoying problem for people like us who put items in the front seat that trigger the sensor...ie: the backpack you mentioned.

If someone did what I mentioned to circumvent wearing a seatbelt...then that's Murphy's job to sort them out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts