Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got rear ended last Thursday 20/07 around 4:05 pm. I was driving home from Kwinana Freeway. The traffic was quite heavy with bumper to bumper traffic. The traffic went to a snail's pace to around 10 km/h when I was suddenly hit from behind. My rear bumper, diffuser, and fog light were damaged. The exhaust is left dangling on one side and I'm not sure how damaged these are as well.

IMG_20170721_175949.jpg IMG_20170721_180138.jpg

I've only lived in Australia for around 3 years and I'm not too familiar with how things work here. In the US, the dealer would be the ones to repair the vehicle. Is it the same here in Australia or would I need to go to repair shops? If it's the latter, does anyone have repair shops they can recommend?

Since I'm in this situation, I'm thinking of doing some upgrades using the insurance money payout even if that means paying a bit more for the upgraded parts. Thinking of getting a Seibon Carbon Rear Diffuser (though I will lose the fog light :( ) and a Remus Catback exhaust.

rd16fdfo-oe_01.jpg

Ford Focus Mk3 RS Exhaust _ Remus0.jpg

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
For the most part, an adjuster from the insurance company (an employee or local contractor) will come and inspect the car for damage (at your home or wherever the car is now located). He'll work up some numbers for labor and parts, and the insurance company will cut you a check.

If you go to a dealer (one stop shopping), and the bill runs over the amount of the check, then you can request a supplemental check for the difference--be prepared to show receipts or estimates from the shop. But since you'll have the money in-hand, you'll be able to pick out whatever aftermarket parts you want.

If you spread the work out over several shops then the accounting can become more difficult and the insurance company may balk at any supplemental amounts. But if you're careful and get the cosmetic work done first, and then immediately go to work on the exhaust, then you should be able to anticipate any significant reimbursement shortages and get them resolved immediately. I think the main point should be to get your car back on the road as fast as possible so that your business with the insurance company can be concluded quickly. They won't be feeling gernerous if you come to them six months after an accident to get paid for something that was missed earlier.

The adjuster or insurance company will likely recommend some shops (cheaper ones), but I wouldn't consider any of them without some other references from happy customers.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sorry for your situation sleeper52. Your insurance company takes over from here. Call them and lodge a claim, that is why you pay them and they are usually good for that in this country. That is the painless part. I do not like to say but from my experience parts availability for these cars is near non existent. Believe me I know, months off road for panel supply, and counting. You are driveable (maybe) by the looks of it so at least you will be mobile. You will not be reimbursed for a quoted amount of damage, they will repair with factory parts, any upgrades after that is up to you. Hope it ends quicks and your experience with parts supply is better than mine but.............

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry for your situation sleeper52. Your insurance company takes over from here. Call them and lodge a claim, that is why you pay them and they are usually good for that in this country. That is the painless part. I do not like to say but from my experience parts availability for these cars is not near existent. Believe me I know, months off road for panel supply, and counting. You are driveable (maybe) by the looks of it so at least you will be mobile. You will not be reimbursed for a quoted amount of damage, they will repair with factory parts, any upgrades after that is up to you. Hope it ends quicks and your experience with parts supply is better than mine but.............
Thank you for your kind words pajoda. I have been reading my insurer's terms and conditions and considering the lack of parts availability as you've mentioned, these are the conditions worthy of note (abridged):

Choice of Repairer Policy

Alternatively, you may choose to nominate your own repairer. In this case,
you would need to provide us with a quotation for the repair of your car.

Parts used to repair the car
When repairing your car we may use new, recycled or aftermarket parts
that meet the requirements of Australian Design Rules and which are
consistent with the car's age and condition, and otherwise do not affect the
safety, structural integrity or utility of the car. If a part is unobtainable, we
may pay you the manufacturer's last known list price instead.
Our duty is to return the car to the condition it was in immediately before
the damage happened. If we agree to additional repairs, painting or
parts which improve the condition of the car, you may have to pay for the
amount of the improvement.

Does anyone have a repair shop in Perth they can recommend or do Ford dealers also do repairs?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Pretty standard reply, and nothing against that, I expect a challenge with the statement of:
"If a part is unobtainable, we may pay you the manufacturer's last known list price instead"
Unfortunately, and in this country at least Ford do not even have part numbers for many parts available let alone a price. I know of a RS owner who had a battery cell collapse and Ford advised the RS doesn't have a battery as there is no part number for the RS battery. I am sure the insurance company will do what they can butttttttttttt you and the insurance company are introduced to Ford spares which there isn't any. I hope this works out quickly for you, my experience says otherwise.

·
5,629 Posts
Sleeper52, sorry to see this and what you must be feeling.

Very interesting comments.

Pajoda, would you say Ford Oz is at fault or Ford HQ (Saarlouis) for the lack of part numbers on this model?
It's not reassuring to say the least if something untoward is to happen to our car when there really is a lack of part availability.

Wish someone somewhere got there act together with this car with spare parts.

I will be curious sleeper who your choice of repairer will be or if you ask Ford dealership to repair it.
Keep us updated on this.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I ordered a US rear diffuser which I cancelled recently, perhaps they can put it on the next shipment if you contact Maximum Motorsport in WA, speak to Niran.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered a US rear diffuser which I cancelled recently, perhaps they can put it on the next shipment if you contact Maximum Motorsport in WA, speak to Niran.
I actually contacted Maximum Motorsport yesterday about the diffuser. They told me that someone ordered one but cancelled because it did not have an opening for the fog light. Was this you?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I actually contacted Maximum Motorsport yesterday about the diffuser. They told me that someone ordered one but cancelled because it did not have an opening for the fog light. Was this you?
Yes that was me, I've decided to go for the UK spec which keeps the fog light.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Sorry to see that. If you can score the carbon fiber diffuser, it will almost have been worth it. I personally think that diffuser foglight is ugly AF.

·
Registered
740 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Damn, sorry to see this!

#idiotdriverseverywhere

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
So I got rear ended last Thursday 20/07 around 4:05 pm. I was driving home from Kwinana Freeway. The traffic was quite heavy with bumper to bumper traffic. The traffic went to a snail's pace to around 10 km/h when I was suddenly hit from behind. My rear bumper, diffuser, and fog light were damaged. The exhaust is left dangling on one side and I'm not sure how damaged these are as well.

View attachment 193369 View attachment 193377

I've only lived in Australia for around 3 years and I'm not too familiar with how things work here. In the US, the dealer would be the ones to repair the vehicle. Is it the same here in Australia or would I need to go to repair shops? If it's the latter, does anyone have repair shops they can recommend?

Since I'm in this situation, I'm thinking of doing some upgrades using the insurance money payout even if that means paying a bit more for the upgraded parts. Thinking of getting a Seibon Carbon Rear Diffuser (though I will lose the fog light :( ) and a Remus Catback exhaust.

View attachment 193385

View attachment 193393
Sleeper...who is your insurer? I had a minor bingle late last year and had the car repaired without hassle at J&W Zarb in Oborne Park...my insurer was Shannons. One part I needed to replace was a forged rim. FA wanted something over $2K for one (yep, I know!!). We actually got an OE one in from Pumaspeed in the UK for about a third of the price....I gave the details to the repairer (Joe) and he organised it...I even got the damaged wheel back which I got repaired at Alliance for just over $200, so now I have a spare.
I would recommend that you contact Joe at J&W Zarb....they are a highly regarded repairer. You should be able to organise aftermarket bits as long as they are cheaper than OE....which they generally are....and most insurance companies will go with any cheaper option. With your aftermarket bits...I have the Milltek catback and can highly recommend it. As far as Seibon goes, Dean and Rob at Maximum Motorsport are very good friends of mine....I'm sure they can look after you. I'm happy to have a chat if you want to discuss the repairs and/or repairer....just PM me.

Reactions: sleeper52 and ashy
1 - 20 of 40 Posts