Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Everyone as those once the order is in. Not an RS2? Have to check mine but IIRC RS2 has an extra letter. That first part of the VIN is for all RSs.

Edit: after that bit a G after a space in RS1 and G4 is RS2 I believe but that might be a code vs VIN change

·
Registered
561 Posts
I was gonna say ^ every North American car probably has those as the first half of the vin. Second half which matters you won't get till it's about to get assembled. I'd assume.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Those are not the first six digits but digits 3 to 8. Every RS for the US market will start with WF0DP3THxG4.

Example WF0DP3TH2G4112685, a pre-production car I saw at the Charlotte Auto Show this past weekend. US RS VINs appear to be following the American VIN format and not the European one.

The first three digits (in our case WF0) are the World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI). The first digit, W, represents Germany, the second digit, F is Ford so the car is built by Ford Germany. The third digit can be used to represent a brand. GM uses 1 for Chevy and 6 for Cadillac for example. I don't know if Ford has revealed what the 0 stands for.

Digits 4 to 9 are the Vehicle Descriptor (in our case DP3TH2). The D in position 4 represents American Restraint Types, in this case "Driver and Passenger Front and Side Airbags and Active Belts All positions". The P3T part should be familiar to us from VOCs and DORAs as this is the model code for the RS, P3 being a Focus and the T indicating an RS. H is the engine code, 2.3L EB. The 9th digit is a check digit used to detect invalid VINs. It is determined by a formula developed by the DOT.

Digits 10 to 17 are the Vehicle Identifier, G4112685 in my example VIN. G is the year, 2016. 2017 will be H. Digit 11, a 4 in this example, is the assembly plant, Saarlouis. After that it is just a sequential build number which I think Ford usually starts at 100000.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are not the first six digits but digits 3 to 8. Every RS for the US market will start with WF0DP3THxG4.

Example WF0DP3TH2G4112685, a pre-production car I saw at the Charlotte Auto Show this past weekend. US RS VINs appear to be following the American VIN format and not the European one.

The first three digits (in our case WF0) are the World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI). The first digit, W, represents Germany, the second digit, F is Ford so the car is built by Ford Germany. The third digit can be used to represent a brand. GM uses 1 for Chevy and 6 for Cadillac for example. I don't know if Ford has revealed what the 0 stands for.

Digits 4 to 9 are the Vehicle Descriptor (in our case DP3TH2). The D in position 4 represents American Restraint Types, in this case "Driver and Passenger Front and Side Airbags and Active Belts All positions". The P3T part should be familiar to us from VOCs and DORAs as this is the model code for the RS, P3 being a Focus and the T indicating an RS. H is the engine code, 2.3L EB. The 9th digit is a check digit used to detect invalid VINs. It is determined by a formula developed by the DOT.

Digits 10 to 17 are the Vehicle Identifier, G4112685 in my example VIN. G is the year, 2016. 2017 will be H. Digit 11, a 4 in this example, is the assembly plant, Saarlouis. After that it is just a sequential build number which I think Ford usually starts at 100000.
It's what my dealer gave me. I found it weird compared to the demo ones they had. He probably thought it was the vin or something but he wrote that down on my dora this week. I live in Canada. Don't think it makes a difference.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts

Bingo.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess its the first 8 digits then... I sort of understand now. Thanks! So everyone is going to be something like WF0DP3TH---------

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I guess its the first 8 digits then... I sort of understand now. Thanks! So everyone is going to be something like WF0DP3TH---------
For NA bound RSs, yes. The European format is different.

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
WF05XXGC is first set of digits from the European market. This was found out today from the Orlando Auto Show. There was a FoRS being shown there that had a few of us scratching our head since it didn't match up with the list on hand for the vehicles on tour until our cars arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts