Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Got an interesting call from one of my local dealers.

8K views 34 replies 26 participants last post by  Magdaddy 
#1 ·
I had originally wanted to purchase local if I could. The dealer closest to me wanted $5,000 to $7,500 ADM. I told them... well, I politely said NO. One of the dealers in a podunk town about half an hour away said they'd be happy to sell me a car at MSRP if they got an allocation. In October when the ordering bank opened up, he put in an order for the car spec'd the way I wanted, as well as a car for another customer. But since they're a little dealership that probably only sold a couple ST's last year, they got that shaft on allocations, so I opted to look elsewhere.

So, the sales guy I'd been talking to (Who knows I ordered a car out of Colorado) calls me today and asks me if my Colorado deal is still on. I said, yup... why? He said his GM had just received a call from Ford telling them that *IF* they had actual orders with customers attached to them, that they'd build the 2 cars they had put orders in for.

Soooooo, to the reason I posted this. Any of you out there that ordered a non-allocated car, have hope! And anyone who hasn't ordered yet may just wanna make a few calls around and see if there are any dealers in the same boat. May get lucky and come up with a car.

#2 ·
That is really exciting news for anyone who wasn't able to secure an allocation! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like @mboles2 and @dkirbywill have a busy next few weeks then!

#3 ·
THIS is the news us with retail orders like to hear!! Thanks!!!

#4 ·
Samething happened to me although i work for a ford dealership and my step dad is the owner and he originally told me i most likely wont get it, and we havent ever had 1 ST for sale on our lot so just shows how mad i was, but then about 2 weeks out the regional sales rep called and asked if the sale was a legit sale and he told him the whole story about me working here and was legit, and then told him he would put in the order, so ya now just waiting for them to pull for scheduling

#5 ·
thats great news. If Canada follows suit, I may have hope yet, but somehow I doubt . It seems like we didn't follow your ST sales + competition sold formula for assigning allocations which seems like the most fair way to do it...the unsold allocation re-assignment would be a blessing!

#6 ·
Retail doesn't really matter. It seems like customer orders are being prioritized ahead of stock so retail>stock.
But I always thought it was allocations > all with stock and retail being some what equal.

Was it actually allocations > stock > retail?

#7 ·
Allocation is picked from the retail pool if there is a name attached to it. At least seems that way, though I don't know if you can enter a retail order without a name on it. I feel like that would, or should, be a stock order if there is no name attached to it

#8 ·
When I first started thinking about the RS I made my first inquiry via Ford's web site. I got an immediate reply by email from the local dealer with his +$3000.00 over MSRP. Having been in the auto trade for a long time and having seen the adm too many times I told him I wasn't interested. I then called a small dealer on the Md. Eastern Shore and got a adm of $8000.00 but later reduced to $5000.00. By that time I was ready to throw in the towel... Like who needs a 165mph hatchback? I finally called another dealer in Southern Chester county Pa and ordered the car for MSRP. Now it's just a waiting game. My advice to all is to let your fingers do the walking.

Mac Morgan
Hockessin, DE

#9 ·
from what i was told, allocations were based on size of dealer and how many focus st's they sold. initially the #'s were going to be limited, but i highly doubt that now. ford will build as many as they can sell. so instead of being very desirable for a long time, it might go the way of the BRZ. bang with a flame out.

#11 ·
so instead of being very desirable for a long time, it might go the way of the BRZ. bang with a flame out.
That's kind of the point. We're at the end of the life on the current chassis and we're talking about a limited production vehicle. Ford is making a profit on each RS so they want to sell as many as possible before the production run ends, and then that's it. A new base Focus comes out with an ST trim, and then maybe in another six years we'll see another RS. Maybe.

Also don't forget that one reason that the GT86 didn't do better is because they never gave the enthusiasts what they wanted: a high performance model. The RS has 2.3 times the torque of the FA20 and there is still the possibility of an even higher performance model coming.

Also the fact that the GT86 is still in production and is pretty cheap keeps resale value relatively low. Why buy used when you can just walk into a dealer and get a new one ordered the way you want it?

And now I'm sad. The BRZ has a slower 0-60 than any of my 90s Eclipses, despite them weighing up to 400 lbs more. And it isn't a liftback. So many missed opportunities.

#10 ·
It could just be that there are so many dealers out there with cars they are trying to put ADM on that ford may be punishing them by essentially taking their allocation from them without telling them and giving it to a dealer that actually wants to sell a car to a real person attached to it

Reactions: focus pilot
#12 ·
I would LOVE it if that was what was happening. Take all the thievin' ADM dealers and shut their nuts in a car door. Give the cars to the people who are hounding after them for MSRP.

Reactions: focus pilot
#13 ·
I would hope they are doing: retail allocation > retail nonallocation > stock allocation

But it is likely: retail allocation > stock allocation > retail nonallocation

Reactions: FZR18
#16 ·
I placed a retail order in November at local dealer at msrp. He was not allocated a car otherwise. Other dealers in area who had allocations were already spoken for. Was told 2 weeks ago car will be built after first allocations are done and possible delivery in June. I refuse to pay over msrp and willing to wait

#18 ·
I think ford knows that there are holes in their allocation plan. When they see a non allocated order for a real customer the are going to fill it. Hopefully every non allocated car takes away 1 car from dealers who didnt sell their cars for msrp! :)

#23 ·
I would hope this is how they would operate. If they notice dealers not selling/sitting on an allocated car, which were most likely accounted for to fill the scheduling, they will move someone that is actually waiting up ahead.

Ford is in it for the sales. They will not wait if they have a guaranteed sell.

#19 ·
You've got a bit of the information mixed up. Dealers with allocations get cars. The allocations could be used for a stock or a retail order. That was up to the dealer. Now it seems that some dealers have been contacted about filling retail orders that were not allocated. Sounds like the blue oval wants to fill customer orders first. It would be a great move IMO.
Ahhhh thank you for clearing that up, you as well drummerboy. This is getting me stupid excited that I may actually get a car before winter!!!

Reactions: FoRS214
#20 ·
I too received a call from my dealer. My salesman didn't have my address and he needed it, to provide to Ford, because they were requesting info to make sure that they had a valid buyer waiting for it. My dealer had zero allocations and I ordered in November with the agreement that if the car was selected to be built that I would have a MSRP sale.

#26 ·
I got the call yesterday that Ford wanted to confirm my address and intentions. My dealer did not get an allocation either, but ordered my specs the minute ordering opened, and said it was getting built. Wanted me to confirm my options before it went into build sequencing. Still hoping my dealer stands true to the friends/family pricing.

#27 ·
Received a call from the dealer I have an order placed with giving me the heads up that I may or may not (random) receive a call from Ford asking a few questions (I'm guessing to confirm information). I'll post an update if I do receive a call. :)

#28 ·
So, does this mean that Ford is building to demand or actual orders(Not just allocations) now? If so, that's good news.

#29 ·
YES. JUST received a call as well with the similar info everyone else is saying!!! This is awesome news!!!! :) :) :)

#30 ·
I had something similar happen but back in November. I ordered mine Oct. 12th from the dealer I've bought my last three Fords from. Long story short it turned out they didn't have an allocation and even went so far as to send me to another dealer they found who did. November 23rd rolls around and they call and say they had obtained an allocation and my car would be built (they left my original order in the system). It was selected for scheduling Dec. 4th. I think they had a firm discussion with their regional rep and pried an allocation out of him since they had a good customer sale on the line. Now it seems like Ford is looking closer at how allocations are being fulfilled and moving them around on their own to get cars in the hands of real customers.

#31 ·
Here is the email I received from my dealer yesterday:

"Ford has had some dealers put in fake orders to get Focus RS's for stock inventory. To remedy the situation Ford is contacting each dealership and their customer who they ordered the vehicle for to verify it is a legitimate order. When they do call you please take their call and confirm your order."

I asked where the call will be from and received: " it will be a Detroit area code"

Yet to have receive a call, but seems like others have already.

#35 ·
Here is the email I received from my dealer yesterday:

"Ford has had some dealers put in fake orders to get Focus RS's for stock inventory. To remedy the situation Ford is contacting each dealership and their customer who they ordered the vehicle for to verify it is a legitimate order. When they do call you please take their call and confirm your order."

I asked where the call will be from and received: " it will be a Detroit area code"

Yet to have receive a call, but seems like others have already.
That is more or less what my local dealer told me. Still not convinced they have the number of allotments they say they do...tomorrow is the day. Salesman rubbed me the wrong way last night

#33 ·
I can't even get a dealer to take a retail order for me. I tried for all of october and november calling several dealers and all of them said it can't be done. Now if they would of done it maybe my car would have been selected for build. So if anyone has a dealer that will take a retail order withing 1,000 miles if California could you please send me a PM. Thanks.

Reactions: SyncTheory13
#34 ·
Exactly! I'll even go to the east coast and just have a nice "getting to know you" drive back to California. I've been trying to find an allocation (at msrp) since early Jan and haven't had any luck as of yet. So PM me if you're a dealer, want to sell a car, and let's put in a retail order to see what happens. Somebody just sell me a car for f'ing sticker.... jeez!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.