Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got it today. Looks good. The kit comes complete with all the necessary small hardware (new banjos, washers, clips…) and a notice saying they are road-legal. Goodridge is a legit/trusted manufacturer of hoses and fittings for motorsport 👍🏼 The kit covers all four corners and costs approx $150 so definitely “road” but it looks great.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,275 Posts
I've been between these and the Mountune ones. Got a part number on these Goodridge ones? I feel like I always see different models for the RS (like the "Phantom" ones).

·
Premium Member
6,026 Posts
I've done Goodridge when I had my EG Civic. They are great ssbl.

The Mountune UK are made by Goodridge, only in black.

·
Premium Member
6,026 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Good product use them well.
I had them on other vehicles.
For my RS I went to a different brand.
They supply Porsche, M cars and AMG.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are multiple small variations of this kit out there. I don’t think there is any significant differences between them.

There are pictures of kits with metallic flanges and red caps, and pictures of kits with plastic flanges and no caps, which seems to be the current one. It took like 2 months from a large retailer (Panda) so presumably new stock.

They come sleeved in multiple colors I think there are like 13 colors on the UK site, but the product picture on their page in not the actual kit (it has 90° fittings, for another car)

Which exact variant should not matter at all unless you insist on a specific color. I’d not overthink this but this is clearly a critical component so it should be well-made with quality hardware and come from a trusted source. Beyond that, the minute differences won’t change a thing in practice.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
240 Posts
Those are the same hoses I have, and I wish they came with the rubber to better protect where it can press against the guide on the strut. I've seen another Goodyear variant (I think on the Mountune UK site) that had the rubber sections similar to stock. I don't know if it'll be an issue, but I would just prefer to not be concerned about it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those are the same hoses I have, and I wish they came with the rubber to better protect where it can press against the guide on the strut. I've seen another Goodyear variant (I think on the Mountune UK site) that had the rubber sections similar to stock. I don't know if it'll be an issue, but I would just prefer to not be concerned about it.
Yes it is paramount that the hoses don’t rub on anything. Thank you for reminding that. And yes some kit variants have those foams and some don’t.

Some folks just zip-tie the hoses directly to the strut when they don’t have an OE-like flange, and this is a sure-kill way to risk an accident as the scrubbing will erode the braiding over time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I purchased the G-Stop set from Tirerack, it had all rubber bushings for the factory mounts (did not include the metal brackets). I also changed brakes to the stoptech slotted rotors and hawk HP Street 5.0 pads. I first changed the pads and rotors, which did give me a feeling of a noticeable, but small difference compared to factory. After bedding in the brakes I noticed that the transition from initial bite to consistent braking region for street took less distance on the pedal than I had remembered, but this is subjective not measured.

Then I bled them, no real difference (I have a habit of bleeding brakes after every track day so I assumed I would not get a difference since I had done it in the last few months).

EDIT: I have been running RBF 600 for a while in the car, and it was in for the before and after in this.

Then I switched to the SS G-Stop kit from Goodrich (and bled [both the brakes and my thumb...] of course). Initial impression was that the distance I normally felt I moduated the brake pedal for daily driving got significantly smaller, but it was more consistent. Again, subjective.

I then did a track day at Waterford Hills. I think this is my 6 or 7th time there with this car, plus 3 or 4 in my previous Focus ST. That said, braking at the straights felt a LOT more confidence inspiring, and by the end of a session my brake pedal was not getting closer to the floor. My lap times (prior to FWD mode kicking in) were more consistent then I have been in the past, staying near the 1:24.xx mark for 3-4 untrafficed laps which is abnormally good consistency for me. In the past, I would get 1 or 2 good laps per session and then 5-6 at like 1:25-1:26 surrounding it. I also hit a new personal best time of 1:24.26 in my 3rd session but I did not time all sessions. I potentially had a faster one but it was timed at 1:24.00 and I do not believe such a nice number haha. I consider myself to be a good (not great) amateur driver for perspective.

With all of that said, the brake lines subjectively added the biggest difference in feel, but I wanted to be forthright with the rest of the changes made for the sake of accuracy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts