Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Bought a nitrous blue Focus RS MK3 and had a look under the bonnet.

Does this look okay to you regarding the headgasket?

C2D20F56-0B41-4C93-B86B-537A9F51E246.jpeg

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Nope, you have the dreaded oil leak, that most dealers diagnose as the banjo bolt from the turbo oil line.
Has that car had the head gasket replaced?
If not, it needs it to be done with the additional sealant which fixes that leak.
Good luck finding a competent dealer to fix it but!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
If you use the search bar, you will find many posts regarding this exact topic.

Reactions: Justa3valve

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jamo, is it still safe to buy this car? Looks like the hg has been replaced by looking at the brass rivet. What can I do about this?

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Welcome. (great avitar, that should be a law)
Look within.
If this is your only car, and a daily driver, maybe pass, especially If you are the type who is bothered by any imperfection.
If it‘s a hobby car, jump on it, have it fixed. This is a fun, and important car to own.
That doesn’t look like a leak, more like a weep. Mine is like that. Whatever.. I have never owned an internal combustion vehicle that didn’t display something.
No one, to my knowledge, had proved that this leak leads to engine failure.
Honestly, I think it’s more of a mental battle with Ford.
JMHO

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Hi Jamo, is it still safe to buy this car? Looks like the hg has been replaced by looking at the brass rivet. What can I do about this?
In your first post you say you bought the car already, now your asking if you should buy or not??

Depending in the build date, it may have already come with the correct gasket, but those cars haven't had the updated sealant added, which stops this leak.
It's your call on whether or not it bothers you, and if you want it fixed.
Thats what I hinted at by saying, good luck finding someone competent enough to fix it properly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In your first post you say you bought the car already, now your asking if you should buy or not??

Depending in the build date, it may have already come with the correct gasket, but those cars haven't had the updated sealant used which stops this leak.
It's your call on whether or not it bothers you, and if you want it fixed.
Thats what I hinted at by saying, good luck finding someone competent enough to fix it properly.
It would not harm if not fixed right?

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
hi mate thanks for you quick reply. Looks like I got the good gasket right?
Yes. Yours was probably fixed prior to Ford discovering the need for two daps of sealant on the edge of the gasket To completely seal it, from leaking to the outside world. The main problem, of coolant boiling and blowing the head gasket internally, should not be a problem.
Im not a tech, this is just what I’ve deduced from hours of reading about this.
@JamoRS is quick on the draw! I’m repeating a lot...

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Did you read what Jim posted?
In post #6

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I'm going back to my original suggestion....

*at the top of the page where it says search community....

* Type in Oil leak......

* press magnifying glass icon to begin the search

* read the many threads on this subject

* that should help you decide the best course of action for yourself.

Happy reading.

Reactions: GmpaJimj

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Just got back from church, so I’m feeling humble...
Not implying mechanics are stupid. Not many dealerships will PAY a person to “figure out“ what’s wrong without a clear blood trail, or PAY them to work on it untill it’s done well.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
The oil residue shown in the images is of no concern, it's common in that location on the 2.0 and 2.3 Ecoboost engines. My RS has this and so does the wifes Kuga 2.0 turbo Ecoboost engine. I just dont let it accumulate all the dust.
It's not the dreaded front of engine/cam drive cover leak. It's more accurate to describe it as a minor seep or as a friend of mine says "oil sweating" not a leak. They should be better than this but it is what it is and there's way more risk getting a dealer to try fixing it than putting up with it. I guarantee just about everyone that grabs a bit of tissue paper and reaches down to that area and presses it against the edge of the gasket and holds it there for 30 seconds will come away with an oil stain/residue on the paper from oil that's seeped between the gasket layers around the head oil drain gallery.
Ciao

·
Registered
18 Posts
I want to start by saying I am no expert at all, not even close to being close.

Based on my experience checking out a few RS in my area, the only one that did not have any oily residue in that area was a 2017 Rs with the original (wrong) head gasket.
Adding this for data and for those curious.
I attached 3 images, the worst one I saw is a 2018, the other 2 are 2017s.
From what I gather based on the condition of each of the cars I saw, the harder it is driven, the worse it gets. The 2018 had the clutch almost worn out completely, the interior was not taken care of at all. A few other issues with it, but overall I could say the previous owner did not care about it. The 2017 with the new head gasket was in good condition, and looked to be taken care of well. The 2017 with the original wrong head gasket was probably in the best condition of all of them. Interior, paintwork everything was almost flawless and I think that shows how it was driven.
Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 8.52.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 8.51.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 8.51.33 PM.png

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all, so it seems that this oil seep is pretty normal. I guess I need to check the dipstick and when needed fill it up. As far I as I concern there is no loss of coolant which is the most important thing?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Thank you all, so it seems that this oil seep is pretty normal. I guess I need to check the dipstick and when needed fill it up. As far I as I concern there is no loss of coolant which is the most important thing?
You will never see any dipstick evidence with a minuscule seep like this. I long suspected this seep was due to Ford not using any pressure sensitive sealant between the layers of the HG and a few months ago a member confirmed that theory. personally if I was pulling the head on an RS i'd get the head surface machined properly and hand finish the deck for the required MLS gasket surface finish which is way finer than the std Ford finish and use a quality single hole design HG like the latest Mountune one.

Ciao

·
Registered
311 Posts
1) This is the right gasket.
2) This is not a leak. This is a half drop of oil over the lifetime of the engine. Spray it out with 3M brake cleaner and check again in a couple of years.
3) The “dabs of sealant” supposedly missing are to be added at the other end of the head. They help seal the front cover.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Engines will 'sweat' a bit so to say.
For the time being there are no indications this vehicle has an issue.
Check regularly and the moment you see spots on the banjo bolt you join our club of misfits.

Until then, enjoy it !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts