Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test-drove an ST today, first time I'd driven any flavour of Focus. It had about 4k miles on the odo, so the sales guy let me rip on it.
Overall I was very impressed - what bodes well for the RS IMO:

• very solid feeling, no squeaks or rattles, reminded me of riding in a small Bimmer.
  • well damped, firm suspension but still reasonable over the rough stuff
  • excellent braking, sharp turn-in, strong grip
  • best sounding 4-banger I've heard (from inside the car) - sweet!
  • silky shifter, excellent smooth clutch
  • very decent outward visibility (forward position of A pillar base a bit of an issue though)
  • nicely bolstered, excellent-fitting Recaros (I'm 5'11", 155)
  • no perceptible turbo lag, great pull through the midrange
  • interior not as down-rent in person as photos suggest; gauges look good, sharp HU screen, nice small wheel
  • interior and exterior size hits the sweet spot - not too big, not too small
Weaknesses were few: Sony stereo was mediocre; shifter should be swapped with parking brake handle to bring it closer to driver; car is taller than I would have preferred; wish you could see front of hood instead of nothing beyond the base of the windshield (but not a big concern due to the very short hood).

A truly fun car - can only imagine how crazy the RS will be!

Half an hour later I test-drove a new Miata. It's a gorgeous little jewel but has some limitations that have me leaning hard towards the RS - value being one of them. A top-tier 150 hp MX-5 with the retractable hard top (expected next year) will be within a few thousand of the RS up here.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From another thread: it looks like the parking brake getting in the way of the shifter has been addressed somewhat in the latest ST iteration by moving it back (same in the RS) - I drove an earlier 2104 MY ST.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
As far as performance goes, driving the RS as compared to the ST the RS is so far and above the ST's performance and handling it makes a ST feel as if your driving a base focus

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
My biggest complaint with the ST and the RS should resolve this, is that you kind of have to push the ST to have some fun. Some people may like that fact you can sit back and cruise, I don't, especially with so much traffic in my area it can be frustrating at times in getting a chance to really open it up. As Bluebyutoo stated, the RS should make the ST feel like a regular Focus, and after having my ST for 3 years and always wanting that extra bit of rawness, the wait is becoming unbearable.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've had a FoST for two years now, it's been an awesome car. My only minor complaint is that the turning radius is huge, almost the same as the F150. But that is the price to pay for a performance car and I've gotten used to it

·
Registered
237 Posts
From another thread: it looks like the parking brake getting in the way of the shifter has been addressed somewhat in the latest ST iteration by moving it back (same in the RS) - I drove an earlier 2104 MY ST.
This was an issue on the 14 and later. My 13 has the parking brake lower and out of the way. Why they changed that I'll never know.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I'm happier with the new handbrake location. the old one looked and felt odd with that bend in it lol

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had a FoST for two years now, it's been an awesome car. My only minor complaint is that the turning radius is huge, almost the same as the F150. But that is the price to pay for a performance car and I've gotten used to it
I read some post indicating that Ford had stated that the turning radius for the RS will be tighter - I believe it does have a slightly wider track front and rear.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As far as performance goes, driving the RS as compared to the ST the RS is so far and above the ST's performance and handling it makes a ST feel as if your driving a base focus
Certainly true on the power side; almost certainly true on the handling, reviews will soon let us know for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts